Home lighting custom fixture

Riscoe

Newly Enlightened
Hi all-
I'm looking to add an upwash light fixture to a ceiling fan. The fan's halogen output is too low and the shadow cast by the blades on the ceiling is somewhat annoying (it's a large 72" fan, pretty wide blades).
I was thinking of installing a small fixture I would make myself on top of the motor assembly. There is room for a 6 inch diameter ring of lights, 1 or 2 concentric rows of LEDs, prefer 4000k color, to be controlled by a separate lighting circuit from the fan. I have a mill and lathe, so machining a heat sink is no problem. Just need to find a source of LEDs in that color range. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

CoveAxe

Enlightened
Why not just get a flexible strip of LEDs (like here)? You can find them in just about any color range (and they even have some where you can change the color and color temperature), and you can stick them anywhere. You don't even need a heatsink: just stick them on the motor housing. They make small power supplies for them that can be easily hidden, and even wireless remotes so you don't even have to run any wires.

Riscoe

Newly Enlightened
I thought about that, but the strips flex 90° the wrong way, and their light output is lower than what I was hoping for.

SemiMan

Banned
Any of Lumileds, Cree, etc stars on heatsinks you make will work fine. I suggest a dimmable driver.

Riscoe

Newly Enlightened
Wil a driver as you suggest operate multiple LEDs? Are the LEDs parallel or series wired for the driver?

SemiMan

Banned
Wil a driver as you suggest operate multiple LEDs? Are the LEDs parallel or series wired for the driver?

They will run multiple LEDs in series, and you may be able to parallel a few series strings as well.