• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Is my peak a lemon, or do I just not get it?

ettercap

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

I bought my Peak Eiger about six months ago on the advice of people both on here and on various EDC forums, who proclaimed it to be one of the best keychain flashlights in existence.

So, given that I wanted a reliable, fairly high-output and good-looking flashlight for keychain carry, I plumped for the stainless lug oveready edition eiger with the standard head.

I was so excited about trying it out, but when it finally arrived, I was, to put it simply, underwhelmed.

The first thing to knock it off my keychain was the fact that I just could not use it one-handed. The threads are so stiff (even with plenty of lube) and the standard head so slippery that I needed two hands to get it to turn on, and a surprising amount of force to get full output out of it.

I let it slide for a while, and eventually, hearing good things about the mule head in 219, I picked one up from Oveready (at almost 3/4 the price of a new flashlight...).
The knurling helped to at least turn the light on, but if I want full output, I have to use two hands, and 3 or 4 turns to get there — and getting the light off takes enough force that by the time I've used it a couple of times, especially in the cold, my fingers get sore.

The mule head highlighted another issue with the Peak that really disappointed me. In theory, the QTC pill is a great idea that, coupled with the mule, should result in being able to get those super low lows for midnight trips around the house and long runtimes.
Unfortunately, getting a moonlight level low is almost impossible, because the QTC flickers like crazy for the first 1/4 turn and it still takes a ton of work to get to full output.

Finally, the light just isn't that bright; I use my keychain lights for general EDC tasks from pottering around the house to peeking in drawers, and the Peak is really only just capable of that.
Compared to my Prometheus Beta QR, the Peak seems to noticeably less usable light with only a marginally greater amount of flood.

I really, really wanted to like this light, but the issues I've encountered with it are so deal-breaking that it never gets pocket
time, and it's really disappointing to have spent $150 on a light I never use. :(

Is this just "how peaks are," or did I get a lemon? I just can't imagine peaks having such a cult following if my specimen is representative of
the lights as a whole.

BriteLite2

Enlightened
No you don't have a lemon.

the QTC is quirky and I agree its frustrating trying to get a stable low output. I find that after fidding to get a low output if I decide to set the light down on a hard surface I lose it and the output bumps up higher.

I have had all stainless versions of Eigers and they tend to be a bit stiffer than the alum. version I don't know why. I have a tuxedo version and its easy to operate but it does get harder to turn the head the more you screw it down due to compressing the QTC capsule

so no you don't have a bad light. Its just the way Peaks are. I love my Eiger Nichia and EDC it everyday. I have tried many aaa and aa lights for EDC and I always come back to the Peaks. for me its because I like the rock solid reliability, the heads are potted,the lights are made in America by a family owned business and I liketo support that also. Plus I love how they look and I enjoy playing with the QTC and the concept is very cool if not perfect. they aren't for everyone but they are good lights and worth every penny in my book.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'll try to answer each of your issues, but Peak flashlights are admittedly kind of a niche product.

Their primary "feature" is durability. They are constructed to be very tough, and very simple.

The O-rings tend to be a bit oversized, which makes it more difficult to turn on and off, but increases water-resistance and makes it less likely to have the parts unscrew and fall apart.

The QTC is an extremely simple and efficient way to provide variable output, although not necessarily smooth ramping or stable output. The lack of electronics involved decreases the power losses, and thereby extends runtime, for any given battery power source.

The driver is "semi-regulated", which allows for longer total runtime, but at less consistent max output. Output will vary dramatically with input voltage. In other words, comparing a (1.2v) eneloop, to a (1.6v) L92 AAA, to a (4.2v) 10440 ICR will result in very different brightness.

All of the smaller flashlights are relatively floody, but the mule in particular does not focus those lumens in any way. That results in much lower perceived output. The Nichia emitters are also higher CRI, which results in less output and lower efficiency than other LED options available.

So, Peaks are a highly specialized product with a number of compromises chosen to prioritize durability, efficiency, and simplicity, but with the trade-offs in convenience and ease of use.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too have a Peak keychain Mule, mine is copper and I can turn the bezel perfectly with one hand. Stiff: yes, but its a twisty kinda something you need to have so it doesn't turn on accidentally.

I don't use the QTC at all because you don't need it with a Mule bezel (just my opinion).

Mule light is never gonna seem bright and this is due to it lacking a hotspot. I remedy this by using 10440 cells exclusively in my AAA Peak Mule.

I have a 3D Mag build with XML2 at 7A with a custom Mule Bezel. While at a buddies FARM he pulled out a 200 lumen Streamlight with reflector. About 5 other folks there commented on how much brighter the 200 lumen Streamlight was vs. my 3D Mag. In other words, its all perception. Something with no hot spot and lightbulb type of beam will seem very dim.

Best,
bigC

whill44

Enlightened
I've never understood why Peak refuses to knurl the small slippery head of the Eiger. Almost every other issue could be addressed in some manner (10440 battery for more lumens, Adjusting the QTC pill or just fixing it to turn on or off) but not the lack of knurling. Just to make it clear I'm a fan of Peak flashlights. I own quite a few, and feel they could be the best aaa pocket or key chain light made if they would just work out the bugs.

BriteLite2

Enlightened
they did put knurling on the mule heads now. I am betting with other models like the Eiger they have a stockpile of heads with no knurling that they need to get thru first but thats just conjecture I dont know anything as fact

eurypylus

Newly Enlightened
After 2 years of usage, both my Peak Eiger have issue with the QTC pill.
Are they selling any newer version of the QTC pills?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think your light is a lemon.
Over several years of reading about them on the forums, what you described is basically what they are.

BriteLite2

Enlightened
Yes Eury they did move to a version 2 of the QTC. and it is more stable and improved. Oveready offered a trade over program I believe . or contact Robyn at Peak. she is wonderful and will get you fixed up for sure.

another reason I love Peaks. their CS is great you feel like part of their family when you contact them.

markchristenson

Newly Enlightened
I just bought my first Peak, an Eiger, and used it last night for the first time (vs. simply playing with it). I had it turned down quite low, set it down and experienced the increased in brightness mentioned above. Knowing that happens makes me okay with it, believe it or not. I haven't tried to operate it one-handed other than by using the button on the end, so I don't know if it is overly stiff or not.

That saidf, most of the "shortcomings" mentioned here are reasonable concerns, but those who explained what the light was designed for helped me realize that the light works as designed. Perhaps, if I may so bold, if somebody doesn't like the light then perhaps they bought the wrong light for their needs/expectations. (I think I got a great light, personally, and only hope I don't end up spending a fortune on flashlights :)

Mark

markchristenson

Newly Enlightened
:welcome: Welcome to the forums, Mark.

It it took me hours of research to settle on the Peak, and now I've spent as much time trying to figure out what kind of LiIon battery and charger I can get so I can max out the performance (though not necessarily for edc). Although it is a bit like learning a new language, something I'm not good at :)

markchristenson

Newly Enlightened
Related, I just received a LiIon 10440 (efest)--wow does this thing get bright! My biggest concern is forgetting to turn it off completely as I know LiIon batteries have some potential downsides. Excited to use this at night!

Mgizler

Enlightened
The QTC in my regular peak tends to be a little harder to control if I am using a Li-ion but works great with a regular primary aaa battery. It does and will flicker some, and can bump up with a tap on the head.

I like the fact that its a little harder to turn on and off. Less likely to come on in your pocket or on your keys, depending on how you carry it.

Today I just received my new Ultra X Eiger. I must say this thing is so much smoother than my standard eiger with the 219 nichia head. I can ramp this light very slow and maintain a Low Low that my other eiger was not able to do.

And the power from this thing is uncanny. It truly is something to see.

NotSoBrightBob

Newly Enlightened
Ettercap,

I'm in your camp. Just got mine last week and have been carrying ever since and it's just OK. The 10440 rattles around inside it, the head on my aluminum version is a two handed affair and the QTC hard to control. At $72 I expected more. I like to support small business and it looks well built so I will keep it but I suspect it will end up on the Marketplace after the new wears off.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hijack the thread...but I'm planning on buying a Peak Eiger AAA,and I'm curious which material I want..stainless steel,or brass?

(namely,how will a brass light look after a few months in my pocket?)

markchristenson

Newly Enlightened
I don't know material-wise which is "best". i bought for aesthetics and ended up with a black body and a silver head. I recently added the Prometheus clip and it seems to have transformed the usefulness for me, and I swear the button works better as well :)

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh great..I might as well buy right now.(think I'll get the brass version..)

My Mom is going to hate me...(she hates me randomly spending money..),but if I don't buy it now,I'll be tempted for the rest of the month.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Sorry to hijack the thread...but I'm planning on buying a Peak Eiger AAA,and I'm curious which material I want..stainless steel,or brass?

(namely,how will a brass light look after a few months in my pocket?)

The stainless steel is my favorite for Peak. I find the aluminum/anodizing thinner than I'd prefer. The brass is very nice, with especially smooth threads, but it will (of course) patina.

I have a few titanium Peak, but those generally lack knurling. I've never had one of their copper versions, but presume it would be softer and even more prone to patina.

I also would rather not "mix" metals, to avoid potential issues with galvanic action.

Last edited:

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind the aging process of brass or copper...(I have a copper Maratac CR123 that looks very nice after a few months...),

so I think I'll get the brass version.

Update: brass Peak Eiger HiCRI is on its way.I couldn't resist any longer..

Last edited: