LED Color for what application?

Manila

Newly Enlightened
LED Newbie over here.

can anyone help me as to the application for the differenct color LEDs available in a flashlight.

am considering getting the A2 but don't know what combo led colored light.

Thank you!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
red - night vision and hunting (deer do not see red)
uv - make things glow: blood, urin, ...
green and blue - brightest, eyes are most sensitive
white - general purpose, true color
yellow - no special thing, just easy for the eyes, reminds of incan glow
orange - between red and yellow

do not forget that with colroed LEDs you won't see true colors! just shades of the projected LED-color, e.g. green and black and no other colors

bernhard

EDIT:

pink - attracting ladies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

one more thing: blue light attracts bugs the most, that means white LEDs (using blue dies with phosphor) will also do this. yellow and red is much better in this category.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Manila, you're welcome.
if this should be of interest for you, there are at least two good threads about night vision and LED colors in the archives, you can do a search if interested, I am too lazy right now, sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
bernhard

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I LOVE using a yellow single LED (CMG Infinity) for reading at night. It's easy on the eyes.

Cyan is also very nice and relatively quite bright.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found though on 1W luxeons that since there is no heat in the beam insects are drawn less to it. Though with highpowered 5W I've heard different. Bugs go to my dim minimag but not to my bright illumalux. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

LightScene

Enlightened
I have a 5 watt cyan, and a few moths come into the light, but they quickly leave, and they don't get very close to the lens. I've been surprised that they don't seem to like the led light. I also carry a 1 watt white LS, and I haven't noticed any bugs being attracted to it either.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had various coloured LEDs in the instrument panel of my car in the last few months, yellow/amber is by FAR the easiest on the eyes I find. Though red seemed to work quiet well too. (Currently have yellow on the panel, and red in the switches), looks a bit odd, but works well.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walmart had a kid's LED with red, yellow and green (er, I bought it for the children). It's about 5 bucks if they still have them. It's very enlightening what each color does to color rendering around you. The red is surprisingly good. Yellow too a close second. Green seems almost useless, everything looks "black and white" and very confusing. Eh, it keeps the varmints occupied and away from my nicer lights.