Miboxer        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Cibie Oscar LEDs!?

Default New Cibie Oscar LEDs!?

Wow, this is big news. First new Cibie Oscar lamps in many years: full-LED auxiliary high beam ("driving") lamps in three sizes. And they're waterproof, not just splash resistant. I will have to see if I can get my paws on some of them to try, the specs look great.

There was no mention of this from the (many) Valeo people at Vision Congress, the vehicle lighting conference and exposition I've been at since Monday, but that doesn't surprise me; this event is 100% OEM and no aftermarket. Some really cool stuff described and demonstrated.

(Dan Stern was there, but I didn't get much chance to chit-chat with him; he was helping run the nighttime ride-and-drive event at Sartory race track and he looked harried (and probably under-slept) so I don't know if he knows any more detail.)

Default Re: New Cibie Oscar LEDs!?

Great googlie mooglie, Virgil.
    Get me a pair.

JWS is sending me a set of the new 8700 Evolution 2 headlamps ---- these would be the perfect compliment.

please please please please...

Oh man, that looks awesome, especially since it says they offer multiple color temperatures

They might not yet have much of a CCT choice, I only spotted "Oscar LED - 6000K" at the other slideshared file
    EDIT: on this page:
    http://image.slidesharecdn.com/valeo...099-13-638.jpg

But don't delay! Order now, or you'll risk ending up empty-handed just like Oscar fans who thought they could wait for SC Generation 2.
    Last edited by Marcturus; 10-30-2014 at 12:48 PM. Reason: removed video link to hid kit fools

Be sure to follow the further adventures of these guys as they pull off to the side of the road and show us how to precisely align their Cibie Super Oscars with 6000K HID kit on a Swift GTI.

If following the bouncing balls of light is making you nauseous, then just jump forward to the 1:00 mark for their "tutorial" in beam aiming.

Interesting! Only downside I see with the LED Oscar series is the use of polycarbonate lens vs glass,so sooner or later we will experience all the problems we hate to see with "modern" plastic car headlamps. Wonder why they didnt list wattage/amp draw on these?

Quote Originally Posted by Qship1996 View Post
    Interesting! Only downside I see with the LED Oscar series is the use of polycarbonate lens vs glass,so sooner or later we will experience all the problems we hate to see with "modern" plastic car headlamps. Wonder why they didnt list wattage/amp draw on these?
    Couldve sworn I saw 14 watts somewhere in the flyer

Quote Originally Posted by drmalenko View Post
    Couldve sworn I saw 14 watts somewhere in the flyer
    Yep, says so in the yellow bar at the bottom of page 21.

Feel free to enlighten us with the problems associated the "modern" plastic car headlamps and i am pretty certain i know what you are going to say.
    Diagnosed with Grumpy Old Man Syndrome

Only downside I see with the LED Oscar series is the use of polycarbonate lens vs glass,so sooner or later we will experience all the problems we hate to see with "modern" plastic car headlamps.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnair55 View Post
    Feel free to enlighten us with the problems associated the "modern" plastic car headlamps and i am pretty certain i know what you are going to say.
    Well, if you knew what he was going to say, why would you need enlightenment?

The major problem with lamps whose lenses are polycarbonate is that they crack, haze, crust, and craze from UV exposure, and their hardcoat is etched away by road grit and weakened by car was chemicals. Maybe for someone in Rhyl, UV is not a huge issue, with the relatively low UV indices found there. For someone in Phoenix, Arizona, UV certainly is an issue. Glass, being glass, will withstand all those environmental rigors extremely well.
    "If the solar eclipse is anything like my Mitsubishi Eclipse, it'll darken the daytime sky"

--Philip J. Fry

(stolen from a friend)

Oh man, that looks awesome, especially since it says they offer multiple color temperatures
    I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by -Virgil- View Post
    They describe, on page 21, that an advantage of LEDs are "multiple color temperature options". Yes, that *is* an advantage of LEDs. However, I don't infer from it that Cibié will in turn offer "multiple color temperature options" in the products utilizing LEDs.

This is reinforced in looking at the table of new products-- they show all kinds of finish types and colors, but they do not describe availability of any particular color temperatures.
    Last edited by Alaric Darconville; 10-19-2014 at 02:15 PM.
    "If the solar eclipse is anything like my Mitsubishi Eclipse, it'll darken the daytime sky"

--Philip J. Fry

(stolen from a friend)

Quote Originally Posted by Alaric Darconville View Post
    Well, if you knew what he was going to say, why would you need enlightenment?

The major problem with lamps whose lenses are polycarbonate is that they crack, haze, crust, and craze from UV exposure, and their hardcoat is etched away by road grit and weakened by car was chemicals. Maybe for someone in Rhyl, UV is not a huge issue, with the relatively low UV indices found there. For someone in Phoenix, Arizona, UV certainly is an issue. Glass, being glass, will withstand all those environmental rigors extremely well.
    Thank you and yes not a big problem over here on modern cars that are changed within 5 years.Avoid cheap bulbs and cheap screen wash if you have lamp wipers as they aid the yellowing effect.

Check out the UK round of the World Rally Championship......Wales Rally GB and see what lights the professionals are fitting for the event which starts in November.
    Last edited by mcnair55; 10-19-2014 at 03:09 PM.
    Diagnosed with Grumpy Old Man Syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by mcnair55 View Post
    Thank you and yes not a big problem over here on modern cars that are changed within 5 years.Avoid cheap bulbs and cheap screen wash if you have lamp wipers as they aid the yellowing effect.
    Is "argument from classism" a logical fallacy?

Some people keep their cars longer than 5 years. Some people buy *used* cars. Some people can't afford the expensive screen wash.
    Great that some people trade in their cars every 5, 4, or 2 years. Great that some people can afford the genuine replacement parts when they need them.

It'd be nice if headlamps were subject to standards seemingly as rigorous as FMVSS 209, as far as durability goes.

Quote Originally Posted by -Virgil- View Post

Page 21, its the 3rd? Bulletin under advantages

They describe, on page 21, that an advantage of LEDs are "multiple color temperature options". Yes, that *is* an advantage of LEDs. However, I don't infer from it that Cibié will in turn offer "multiple color temperature options" in the products utilizing LEDs.

This is reinforced in looking at the table of new products-- they show all kinds of finish types and colors, but they do not describe availability of any particular color temperatures.
    Kinda what i was thinking...I doubt they will offer more than 1 temperature, much less a high cri. Oh well.

For the larger sizes, a number of Finnish sites now show nicely discounted pricing in euros. All 6000K, though.

EDIT:
    several links, inserted current low prices for black colored products

http://autoextra.fi/valikkosivut/Cibie.php

http://www.tarvikkeet.fi/tuotteet/va...kovalot1/cibie

Cibie Super OSCAR LED 230mm ref. 17.5
    258.30 EUR - Black (61-45308)

Cibie Super OSCAR LED 230mm ref. 27.5
    288.40 EUR - Black (61-45312)

http://www.ojanpera.net/

black OSCAR LED 180 REF 17.5
    195.00 EUR
    157.26 EUR VAT 0%

black SUPER OSCAR LED 230 REF 27.5 + PARKING LEDS
    280.00 EUR
    225,81 EUR VAT 0%
    Last edited by Marcturus; 11-04-2015 at 09:54 AM. Reason: removed link to polarautovaruste.com - was showing wrong Oscar Mini LED specs

Marcturus, got some links?

Thanks @HUGO!

Cibié put a video on Youtube,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT73AiBRI0w

Dim the room lights, and replay in embedded mode:
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/LT73AiBRI0w

Video lacks precise lamp dimensions, more detailed beam descriptions, and power uptake figures - I doubt the lamps are all 14W.

The Valeo lab guy sure looks mighty serious when conducting that immersion test.

Edit:
    I wonder if the "competitor's product" shown in the video might be this one:
    http://www.jussinmaki.net/blogi/wp-c...29lux-INFO.jpg
    (from http://www.jussinmaki.net/blogi/jatt...ukovavertailu/)
    Last edited by Marcturus; 11-02-2014 at 07:03 AM.

You think that Dan will be selling them?
    I need a pair comped to me to "test"... ...yeah, that's it. Test.

Flashaholic*

This is really exciting, BUT... it seems even the great Cibie has succumbed to the "blue light" fad. Why are these offered at 6000K, and will there ever be any offered at about 4200K?

I'm just not ready to dump a big pile of money on obnoxious blue lights.
    There are two kinds of light - the glow that illumines, and the glare that obscures. ~James Thurber

Last time I looked, the lowest standard Luxeon Altilon bin was 5200K, not much different from Osram's automotive Os... equivalents.
    Last edited by Marcturus; 11-04-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Flashaholic*

So you're saying I'm not likely to see LED driving lights with a color temp below 5200K?

Is that also true for LED headlamps like JW Speaker and Trucklite?

I believe the Starr HID lights in my Crown Vic are around 4200-4300K, and I actually swapped bulbs to get that color temp, back when I bought Soltek Fuego HID lights and Baja Designs sent 5000K by mistake (I think they started selling all 5000K shortly after that).

I have LED flashlights that are "white, not blue" and have good CRI. I would hope we are offered similar automotive options.

Maybe halogen isn't so bad, as long as one has the alternator power.
    There are two kinds of light - the glow that illumines, and the glare that obscures. ~James Thurber

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Felix View Post
    So you're saying I'm not likely to see LED driving lights with a color temp below 5200K?

Is that also true for LED headlamps like JW Speaker and Trucklite? ....
    I have the JWS 8700 Evolution-2s on the Jeep and they look 6000-ish.

I think they'll figure out a better color eventually.

Flashaholic*

I guess one can always get out the Duplicolor Metalcast...

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Felix View Post
    I guess one can always get out the Duplicolor Metalcast...
    Blue and yellow might make green though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
    Blue and yellow might make green though.
    My wife got really annoyed when I said, in a voice approximating the little girl in the Ziploc commercial: "Green and red make YELLOW!" and then asked her how a TV set could have *four* primary colors, since there are only three (the commercial being for the Sharp Quattron). Additive/subtractive colors and all that.

My wife got really annoyed when I said, in a voice approximating the little girl in the Ziploc commercial: "Green and red make YELLOW!" and then asked her how a TV set could have *four* primary colors, since there are only three (the commercial being for the Sharp Quattron). Additive/subtractive colors and all that.
    Don't annoy the wife; it never ends well.

I told my wife once that there were only three proper colors for a Ducati. Red, black, and red. She didn't get it, got annoyed, and still is annoyed.
    I didn't get my Ducati, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
    I told my wife once that there were only three proper colors for a Ducati. Red, black, and red. She didn't get it, got annoyed, and still is annoyed.
    I didn't get my Ducati, btw.
    But you can get your Model T in any color you want so long as it's black.

*Flashaholic*

So...are the CIBIE LED headlights better than the JW Speaker 8700's?

I hear there's a new generation of the 8700's out too?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast