My new (panasonic) eneloops!! 2100 charge cycles and 70% after 5 yrs.

ponkan

Newly Enlightened
Now, this post is merely a photo show. I hope the photos will strengthen our love for flashlights and batteries! :devil:

As the title suggest, this is the newest and greatest of the low discharge eneloop line up. Advertised as having a charge cycle of 2100, I'm pretty confident that before the battery fails, it would have gone through your lifetime (Unless you run them dry every-single-day). Moreover, a shelf life of 5 yrs, whilst maintaining 70% of its charge, will surely bring confidence in storing these boys for long periods of time (Hint: time to replace long shelf life alkaline battery for storage).

Original price of $40+ (including the tax), it suddenly went on sale for $28 (THATS WITH TAX). The temptation was to great :whistle:

Let the pictures talk! Hope everyone enjoys my photos.

15368640430_879ab07335_c.jpg

Say hello to 8 packs!

The packaging is clearly mangled when I got this from the store. Guess we should blame shipping.

HAPPINESS in SPECS! :party:

15368132528_de75ac0992_c.jpg

Eneloop, started from its humble beginnings as a Sanyo product, now stands the center stage as a Panasonic brand

GUESS WHICH IS THE NEW ONE AND OLD? (Hint: the top is the new one)

Is it my eyes, or is the eneloop logo of the new one (top one) has a stronger Blue tint?

Now in comparison to an Imedion low discharge battery! :devil:
Note: the imedion is advertised as having a 2400mah capacity and maintaining 85% charge after a year. After break-in, I found they are within 92-96% capacity of what they advertise. Lowest is 2228mah, while highest is 2313mah. Not bad! I'll see how the eneloop does in comparison.

Salivating yet? If so, I had achieved my goal then. I'm now in the process of breaking my eneloops in using a Maha c9000 charger.

As always, thank you for giving me your time!:)

Last edited:

ponkan

Newly Enlightened
If you're in Canada, then you can pick these up in NCIX stores. They are still on sale.

ponkan

Newly Enlightened
Regional difference maybe? Does yours still say made in Japan? (might be a stupid question though). Where did you get yours?
I wonder about the name, the ones I got had Panasonic in big letters:
DSC_5041.jpg

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened

Hard to say for certain what is happening with Panasonic and the Eneloop brand. I think "the jury may still be out."

I have never seen this "new" Eneloop Panasonic design in Japan. All Eneloops (of recent production) that I have seen are designed like the picture that HKJ posted (great emphasis on the Panasonic brand, less emphasis on the Eneloop brand). However, there are large numbers of "Eneloop Fans" in Japan, who are fairly angry (disappointed?) with Panasonic's decision to place primary emphasis on the Panasonic brand. It may be that Panasonic has recognized this issue as a real problem, at least in some worldwide markets, so they are now (once again) marketing cells with greater emphasis on "Eneloop" and less emphasis on Panasonic...

These waters are further muddied by the new Panasonic "Eneloop" production facility in China. At present, I have some question in my mind as to whether or not we will continue to see genuine "Made in Japan" Eneloops at all. The day may come when you will need to seek out and purchase FDK cells in order to get "real" Eneloops, despite the fact that such cells would not actually be called Eneloop.

Last edited:

snakyjake

Enlightened
One reason I went with Imedions is because the Eneloops were too confusing. There are too many versions of the same Eneloop battery, and I'm not quite sure what I'm really getting.

HKJ

Flashaholic
One reason I went with Imedions is because the Eneloops were too confusing. There are too many versions of the same Eneloop battery, and I'm not quite sure what I'm really getting.

In my opinion the different versions of Eneloop are not that important. It is not that important if you get a Disney or a chocolate eneloop or a 1800 times or a 2100 times version. You only have to look for capacity to select between lite, normal or XX/pro eneloop.

ponkan

Newly Enlightened
I bought the imedions because it was part of the packaged deal with the maha c9000 charger. Regardless, I could have chosen the charger by itself. I was drawn by their claimed 2400mah capacity and 85% charge after a year, so I tried them out. As I mentioned, the imedions had the capacity within the manufacturers claims (minimum 2225 claimed, max 2400mah) after break-in, so they have good quality behind them. Did I mention they are made in Taiwan?

Last edited:

ponkan

Newly Enlightened
For me, I was pulled into the eneloop crowd because of their low discharge rate, with a claimed 70% after 5 years (my old eneloop was the 2nd gen, so 1500 charge, 70% after 3 years) as well as their rated 2100 charge-discharge cycle. Planning to get the eneloop pro though, since they are also on sale in the shop that I bought my new eneloops from. Not sure why, but somehow, I'm stockpiling lots of AA rechargeables......
Must be because I have a tk41, nitecore ea4W, and a couple of single aa lights. I am also planning to get a nitecore ex, so....flashlights all based on aa hehe.
In my opinion the different versions of Eneloop are not that important. It is not that important if you get a Disney or a chocolate eneloop or a 1800 times or a 2100 times version. You only have to look for capacity to select between lite, normal or XX/pro eneloop.

Last edited:

ChibiM

Enlightened
Yes... for more info about eneloops, see my sig.. most questions are answered there.

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
It looks as though they're sticking to the familiar formula. That's a good thing. It would be nice to see these hit more retail locations. Perhaps Panasonic has the muscle to make that happen?

Rosoku Chikara

Enlightened
...It looks as though they're sticking to the familiar formula...

This "new" Panasonic design with large Eneloop brand, looks a bit odd to us in Japan. But, after looking around a bit on the USA internet, I have decided that Panasonic has indeed decided to go back to the older look for the USA market.

The same (4th Generation) cells are identified as "BK-3MCC" in Japan, but these posted by the OP are "BK-3MCCA." I have little doubt that the additional "A" refers to the "American" market (or North American market, that includes Canada).

ponkan

Newly Enlightened
The results are in for the first 4 break-in. Finished this Oct 18, 2014, took it out of the charger at around 2pm (afternoon)
1997mah
1998mah
2011mah
2001mah

I'll post the photos of the results later. I am really impressed with the results. 14mah difference between the lowest capacity and the highest, I can say this is VERY GOOD. No idea how you can exceed that.

The last four is now in the process of break-in. Can't wait to see the results.

Last edited:

gallon

Newly Enlightened
This "new" Panasonic design with large Eneloop brand, looks a bit odd to us in Japan. But, after looking around a bit on the USA internet, I have decided that Panasonic has indeed decided to go back to the older look for the USA market.

The same (4th Generation) cells are identified as "BK-3MCC" in Japan, but these posted by the OP are "BK-3MCCA." I have little doubt that the additional "A" refers to the "American" market (or North American market, that includes Canada).

I think you are accurate with this.

I have both styles of 4th generation AAs.

Those with the large Panasonic logo (see pic in post #4) have Japanese writing as suitable for the Japanese market. Indeed mine were obtained from a vendor in Japan and were shipped from Japan to the USA.

Those with the large Eneloop logo (see pics in post #1) have writing in both English and French as suitable for North American market. Mine were obtained from Panasonic on Amazon.

So I agree, the different packaging reflects marketing presentation by Panasonic.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
The results are in for the first 4 break-in. Finished this Oct 18, 2014, took it out of the charger at around 2pm (afternoon)
1997mah
1998mah
2011mah
2001mah

I'll post the photos of the results later. I am really impressed with the results. 14mah difference between the lowest capacity and the highest, I can say this is VERY GOOD. No idea how you can exceed that.

The last four is now in the process of break-in. Can't wait to see the results.

In a word - AWESOME

ponkan

Newly Enlightened
Here is the results of the second batch of break-in. I took the battery out of the charger this Oct. 20, 2014, at 1pm.
2010mah
2016mah
2011mah
1991mah

The second batch is consistent with the first, though more have a higher capacity than the manufacturer's rated capacity. 25mah difference between the lowest and highest capacity.

ChibiM

Enlightened

Not really correct.. BK-3MCC A doesnt mean America.. it could even mean Asia.. because the 3/4BKMCCA are also sold in China with the additional A.
there is also a BK-3MCCE, but what that E means, who knows... maybe Economical?
The 65% after 5 years seem like to be the Chinese made cells, but in Europe and Russia there are also BK 3MCCE being sold.. with 70% made in Japan..
so, you know as much as I do.. what those letters stand for..

Edit: 3MCCA could mean American market, but is also sold in China. E probably means Europe indeed.

Last edited: