• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired The Spinner - A Titanium AA Utility Torch

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Everyone,

I've been working on a new light called the Spinner – a long runtime, moderate output utility torch that shares the design (and naming) heritage of the Mako. The objectives are to create an ultra-long runtime tool that will reliably put out a moderate amount of light, for a very long time.

To that end, the Spinner uses the energy-dense AA cell as its power plant, coupled with an ultra-compact, fully analog, two-stage regulator circuit that gives you both a low and high mode at 4 lumens for up to 130 hours, and 30 lumens for up to 7 hours on a good quality alkaline cell. This means days and days of runtime, and the ability to put out light long after everything else has gone dark.

A brief summary of the light's features:
Progressive Twist Operation - Twist for low, twist more for high
AA Based 1.5v Power Plant
4/30 Lumens
130/7 Hours Runtime
17mm Diameter by 68.75mm Long
White, Wide-beam Flood LED
Machined from 6AL4V Titanium, Bead Blasted
24K Gold Plated Contacts
Dual Stage, Fully Regulated DC/DC Converter
Tritium Slot

15365511849_3b1a72e62a_z.jpg

15366129007_633a433f06_z.jpg

This batch will be made in accordance with the number of pre-orders placed, and I am not planning to run many extra pieces. The light is expected to ship by the end of December.

The cost for a Spinner is $225, and is available here:
http://store.muyshondt.net/product/spinner/

A review of the light's predecessor, as well as thoughts from many owners, can be found here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...the-most-important-flashlight-i-ve-ever-owned

If you have any questions please feel free to ask here or drop me a line at [email protected].

Enrique

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Couple questions:

What is the deadline for the preorder?

What size did you choose for the Tritium slot? I would prefer to order the Tritium, from a third party, and have it arrive before the Spinner arrives. I'll also assume you will NOT be offer any preinstalling Tritium service with the Spinner?

What is the size of the split ring hole on the Spinner? Hopefully the increase in physical light size will allow for a larger diameter hole.

I'm surprised by the lack of a HO option given the popularity of the Mako HO. Given the larger capacity of the AA itself it seems like natural fit. The 4/30 rating surprised me as well. The Mako, I believe, ran at 2/21, and the Spinner is a much larger light. I know you stated that this is a "crazy runtime" light but it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the size difference and output of both lights. Room for adjustment before the final design submit?

To be clear: both alkaline and lithium AA's will work in the Spinner?

I'm pleased to see you use the iconic BB finish from the Mako.

Any word on the waterproofing or water resistance?

Any thoughts on the tint of the Spinner?

Thanks!

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I'm surprised by the lack of a HO option given the popularity of the Mako HO....

i do believe my Mako MK II HO's HIGH mode isn't even as bright as enrique appears to offering in the Spinner, which he says will be 4 lumens low and 30 Lumens on high

re the Mako MK II, enrique stated: "High Output (HO) This is a 21-lumen output flood light, with much higher brightness and spacing between modes than the previous model, which was around 10 lumens..."

wouldn't that make the Spinner a super HO?

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be cutting off pre-orders around mid-November.

The slot is for the common 1.55x5mm tritium vials that B@rt sells. Purchasing and installation of tritium is not something I can offer, unfortunately.

This is a bit brighter than the HO option on the Mako Mk. II. If you want higher output than that a different driver, a different LED, reflectors, lenses, sealing, etc. are necessary; it's a different light, a different price point, and a different use case which the Spinner is not intended to target. (That would be an Orca, in fact, which isn't going to be produced at any point in the near future)

The light doesn't care what batteries you use as long as they're 1.5V cells. Duracell or Energizer lithiums, or Eneloops, are highly recommended. 3-4V+ cells will toast your light.

Water resistance is the same as all of my lights. Tint is fairly neutral, and the beam is smooth, like the Mako Mk. II before it.

Britelite2: At this juncture I don't really expect to do anything in bare or polished titanium. There is substantial difficulty in removing any machining marks for a polished surface, and consequently a good amount of cost. The few raw Makos (not polished to the level I think you're requesting) I offered back in February were just a one time thing.

gunga: As of yet there are no specific plans one way or the other about a dealer offering.

I have been considering offering different LED options (in particular, red and UV have good applications), but am unsure if there's sufficient interest to justify making a separate set of drivers for each option. Thoughts are welcome. :)

Thanks folks!

Enrique

gunga

Flashaholic
Hi Enrique, do you mean the previous 6/60 lights were considered "raw". Those are what I was looking for, but alas, looks like you are not planning on that again. Too bad.

BTW, if the trit slot is the same as in the previous Mako, it can fit a 1.5x6mm trit found by various other dealers. I used 6mm in my previous Mako.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
i do believe my Mako MK II HO's HIGH mode isn't even as bright as enrique appears to offering in the Spinner, which he says will be 4 lumens low and 30 Lumens on high

re the Mako MK II, enrique stated: "High Output (HO) This is a 21-lumen output flood light, with much higher brightness and spacing between modes than the previous model, which was around 10 lumens..."

wouldn't that make the Spinner a super HO?

Super HO!

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been considering offering different LED options (in particular, red and UV have good applications), but am unsure if there's sufficient interest to justify making a separate set of drivers for each option. Thoughts are welcome. :)

I am down for one.

Would be interested in other tint options, but not wavelengths per se.

Will you disclose the spec's on the LED? The Mako floods I have owned have been fairly neutral tending towards yellow. I would be interested in a cooler version, but not as far as the original Makos (which I owned at one point too) which were blueish.

Thanks,
eala

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Throwing my hat into the ring with no interest in the special LED's. Thanks for the quick turn around on the questions.

DQD

Newly Enlightened
I've been anxiously awaiting this one, and placed my pre-order today!