Why does the Fulton MX991/U always develop "The flicker"?

U

user1016

I own multiple Fulton MX991/Us (a few different colours/varieties and flavours etc) I know they're not the worlds best light, but can someone explain why they develop "the flicker", and if there is a method of fixing or at least mitigating this? I've got practically zero experience with electronics, but I'd assume it was something to do with the contacts or the batteries rattling around and not bridging the gap properly. My hope was that I could turn them into my ultimate all-purpose light (3 watt LED in the tailcap, and 1 watt Nite ize inside, for either good light, or blackout/long runtime use), they have a neat clip on the back for attaching to gear, as well as the ability to self-stand and point at whatever you're working on in the dark, so I've been very attracted to the angle-torch design.

Oddly enough, I get this with -all- AAA flashlights I've ever owned; Led Lensers, Maglite Solitaire, Mag mini AAA, and knock off AAA torches, but not generally in any of my D cell flashlights, which is why I'm so curious as to why the Fulton has it.

I used to believe the reason the US Army adopted them was because they'd be rugged, reliable and reasonable of quality, guess I was mistaken though. Mine have never been banged or knocked around and they've all developed "the flicker", I wonder how the poor vets and army manage with theirs when they get dropped/smacked around? They must've about wrung the necks on these things.

Anyways, I'll stop rambling on; any answers or insight would be appreciated. :)