Fenix PD32 issue

gbynum

Newly Enlightened
Not complaining at this time, because Fenix gave me a RGA to send it back ... but I'd like to know if it was likely anything I did (or didn't) do. This light hasn't been heavily used; I'd guess I haven't used a single charge of 2350mAh cell in the 6 months I've owned it; have 2 cells, switch and charge monthly, my charge time suggests less than 10% used

The tail switch occasionally clicks but doesn't latch' may take 4 or 5 presses to get it to latch. It does light each time. Is this something I could have taken care of?

The problem ... about 10 days ago, I turned it on to a 100% level (put in my pocket at LO). I turned it on and off several times, no change. I pressed and held the mode switch, got into strobe, then out, and it worked for the 2 or 4 minutes I needed it. A day later, it came on at 100% again and the mode switch did nothing. I removed the cell and let it sit overnight. After re-installing it, same thing. Fenix didn't answer the "can I do anything" question, but did send the RGA.

Did I cause the problem? Could I have done anything to resolve it? Is this typical?

Thanks!

George

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I'm not mistaken, I think the PD32 has a tailcap retaining ring that can get loose and can often cause problems like these. If you look inside the tailcap after removing it from the light, you'll see two indentations on the ring in the tailcap. You can tighten that ring (or take it apart) by putting the ends of needlenose pliers into those indentations and twisting the ring. I think that ring is reverse-threaded, by the way, so you need to turn it the opposite direction you might expect to turn it.

I've had some weird issues like that and also some where the highest modes don't work because of that issue. Other than that and cleaning the contacts I'm not much help.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I'm not mistaken, I think the PD32 has a tailcap retaining ring that can get loose and can often cause problems like these. If you look inside the tailcap after removing it from the light, you'll see two indentations on the ring in the tailcap. You can tighten that ring (or take it apart) by putting the ends of needlenose pliers into those indentations and twisting the ring. I think that ring is reverse-threaded, by the way, so you need to turn it the opposite direction you might expect to turn it.

I've had some weird issues like that and also some where the highest modes don't work because of that issue. Other than that and cleaning the contacts I'm not much help.
+1 I use PD32 tailcaps on my PD31s and I can confirm the retaining rings need to be tightened periodically or you'll light will start acting weird, not coming on, flashing etc.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
While it does sound like you were having some switch issues, I'm not sure that would affect the mode button. That may be an internal fault in the electronic switch. You probably wouldn't have been able to prevent that even if you did fix the tailswitch.

magicstone12

Banned

+1
I think if you click the switch many times,then it lights up,there maybe something wrong with the switch;if you can not switch from one mode to another,you can check your battery;or there maybe something wrong with the circuit.

gbynum

Newly Enlightened
Thanks folks for the information and suggestions. I'll look at the tail switch when it comes back from the repair and be sure I know how to be sure it is snugly assembled; I have a pin spanner so won't have to fiddle with the pliers "maybe" fitting. I did try my other battery; both were nearly 100% charged 18650 cells with protection; and it was no different. So probably coming on full and not able to switch modes is a fault in the electronic (PWM) module; is that common?

Thanks again!

Scooby214

Newly Enlightened
Thanks folks for the information and suggestions. I'll look at the tail switch when it comes back from the repair and be sure I know how to be sure it is snugly assembled; I have a pin spanner so won't have to fiddle with the pliers "maybe" fitting. I did try my other battery; both were nearly 100% charged 18650 cells with protection; and it was no different. So probably coming on full and not able to switch modes is a fault in the electronic (PWM) module; is that common?

Thanks again!
I've had identical problems with a Fenix light. Tightening the retaining ring and cleaning the contact surfaces of the battery tube (both at the head and tail ends) cured the problem. Strangely enough, it cured the mode switching issues. It would be nice if the repair facility would include a note when they returned your light, indicating if it was the driver, electronic switch, etc.

Just FYI: The PD32 doesn't use PWM, though I think everyone reading your post knew what you meant. The PD32 uses a constant current driver.