Spy 007 or Spy Tri-V? Which one? Both!

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy all Cool Fall fans!

I own/have owned some really awesome lights over time. But I've wanted to buy my first Spy light for what seems like forever. I REALLY want a Tri-V1 or Tri-V2, but I also like the 007 a lot. Cost not withstanding, should I wait for a Tri-V to show up for me to buy or should I get a 007 now? I've never used either one, so I need help from Spy owners about what to do.:confused: (unless someone has a Tri-V1/2 that they would be willing to part with.:whistle: )

(I'm fighting the urge to buy a 007 now and a Tri-V when I find one.:cool: ):help:

Last edited:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help! Spy 007 or Spy Tri-V? Which one?

I have owned a Tri-V before currently own a 007. I can tell you a little about my experience.
The Tri-V was an awesome light and is probably still the best light I have owned, with three different beam profiles and program abilities. Along the way a fellow CPF'er made some turbo heads available for the 007, and I had told myself that if a turbo head became available, I would get a 007. That was when I decided to sell the Tri-V to fund a vacation for my then-girlfriend and saved up for a 007.

This is just personal preference, I always felt the Tri-V is not as robust as the 007 with an exposed flood emitter and aspheric lens, so I was always very careful when using it. I am also a bit OCD, so when dust gets into the nooks and crannies on the Tri-V it would bother me and it's a pain to keep clean! The 007 I have now I just throw into my pocket wherever I go.

I am waiting for Dave to release more news about the Tri-V3, and who knows, maybe I'll end up waiting for it like I did for the release on the 3300mA 007!

Which ever light you end up with, any of the Tri-V or 007 variants, you will be very happy with it!

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

Tri V all the way!!! It's unique!! All your lights have a emitter and reflector. Not flood and aspheric too!!

murpharoo

Newly Enlightened

Owning an XM-L and both a Tri-V1 and V2 I find myself carrying the Tri-V1 the most. But if you can't decide as said above get both 😉

Rudi

Enlightened

You may think you have a dilemma, Socom, but actually you are in an enviable position -- whatever you decide, you can't go wrong. Both lights are in a class of their own, both functionally and in the long-term satisfaction they deliver. Personally, I prefer the 007 for its simplicity and robustness, yet I still miss the Tri-V I sold.

Zandar

Enlightened

Socom, I recommend you wait until the new SPY light comes out(late this year or early next). It's supposed to be a reflector/ flood combo light, that I'm thinking will be a bridge between the 007 and the new TRI-V3. That way you can compare all 3. And yes, I love my little 007 XML-2 light.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, in typical CPF fashion, I've decided to buy both. I bought a Spy 007 neutral xp-g from a fellow cpf'er yesterday. Beyond that, I will be looking for a Tri-V1/2 or maybe something new from Dave...who knows?

No matter what, I'm happy to finally be in the Cool Fall club.:)

Incidentally, does anyone know if the Spy lights can use RCR123's or only primaries? (I'm hoping for rechargeables...)

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well you definitely went the true CPF'er route. When in doubt buy both. The great thing here is that you should be able to sell either light with little or no loss after you decide which will be the keeper.

Although your decision has been made I'll toss in my few cents of opinion here. I've owned quite a number of Spys and Tri-Vs over the past few years. The Spy007 is a very robust and solid light. The Tri-V is extremely unique with its 3 emitters. So, what is your use case. The Spy007 is just a reflector flashlight like so many others with a typical refletor beam, but it is the more robust of the two and a little better sealed for EDC type carry. The Tri-V has the amazing 3 LED setup which brings the light a tons of versatility - it really is the only light you'll even need, but with the exposed flood and slightly wider head profile it's not quite as robust for EDC use.

Now I have one of each and I love them for different reasons. But the Tri-V is definitely a light you should own simply for the coolest light ever factor.

And, in answer to your battery question the Spy and Tri-V will take both CR123, RCR123 and IMR16340 cells. For higher level drive currents IMR cells are highly recommended.

chipwillis

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a every version of the 007's. They all are great but I never leave home without a Tri-V. I carry it at work everday and it has held up as good as any other light that I have had. It takes the bumps just fine and still looks like new. I don't know why I have 3 Tri-V's, but I love them.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

You guys are so fantastic. I really appreciate your responses, insights and experiences. They really do mean worlds to me.

I just posted a WTB thread in the Ti section for a Tri-V and belt pouch. I'm hoping someone might be willing to part with one.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, there you have it, kiddies. In true CPF fashion, I now have both.:aaa: Thanks to the two great CPF'ers who I bought my 007 and Tri-V2 from.

Thanks also to all of you who have helped me out with this.

Now the wait for them to arrive begins...:sick:

Last edited:

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Spy guys, I was reading the 007 and T ri-V user manual bits on Data's threads. Wow!!! I didn't know they are so customizeable! How do you guys remember all that? The most customizeable light I've ever used is my HDS rotary 200. (Still one of my favorites.) The spy is in a league all its own.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

How do you remember all the instructions? Or, how do you remember what you have programmed?

The instructions becomes quite natural once you've used the light for a bit. It's actually quite straight forward. I would think about the levels you want to set and jot them down prior to starting the PU-4 programming as that will make it easier.

In terms of keeping track of the settings I use a table in a Word Doc where I track which emitters are set and what the current level is.

A word of warning - never interrupt a PU-4 programming or a PU-3 calibration until it is completed.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Congratulations socom! Nice picking up both of them. I'm on the lookout for a XML2 version myself.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't remember my various settings, but I have one rule of thumb on all mine
Slot 1 - Always my lowest settings. I use this when I lend my light to my wife. ;)
Slot 2- Higher settings than 1. This is my "go to everyday use slot"
Slot 3 - Stock settings. Easy to remember as PU 3 returns everything to stock.
Slot 4 - My Highest show off the light settings. Kills the batteries, but it is fun.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's actually a thread out there with for people to post the Spy settings. I'll share my current Tri-V2 setup.

Slot
CS1
CS2
CS3
CS4

Indoors
General Use
Camping Mode
Outdoor Walk
P1
F – 5mA
FR – ~25 click