Jetbeam Jet 3M Pro - 2014 (XP-L, 1x18650, 2x(R)CR123A) Review

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new 3M Pro - 2014 is a first XP-L based Jetbeam model, with a greater output comparing to the earlier model released in 2008, in keeping with its wider voltage range.

S-0.jpg

S-1.jpg

The light comes in a display packaging with information and specifications. Included are the light with removable clip (attached), holster, lanyard, spare o-rings, rubber tailcap boot, manual and warranty card.
Manufacturer Specifications from Jetbeam website & manual :
• LED : Cree XP-L
• Maximum output : 1100 lumens
• Reflector : Precise aluminum reflector
• Lens : Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
• Material : Aero grade aluminum alloy
• Finish : Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish of grey
• Batteries : RCR123*2/CR123*2 or 18650*1
• Switch : Reliable tactical tail switch
• Dimension : Head diameter 38.5mm, body diameter 25.4mm, total length 150.1mm
• Weight : 151g (without batteries)
• Specially built for the application of law enforcement, defense, military and hunting
• Convenient two mode interface by rotating the head
• Reliable tail switch control ON/OFF and different outputs
• Use the newest Cree XP-L LED - "The game-changing Cree® XLamp LED" with performance increasing of 50% or more
• Max output up to 1100 lumens and minimum as low as 1 lumen for any environment
• Latest high performance optical system, max beam distance up to 320 meters
• Built-in advanced efficient power management circuit, max runtime endures 280 hours
• New circuit design provides double intelligent protections for LED and battery to maximize their lifespan and ensure safe use
• Advanced circuit allows compatible for CR123, RCR123A and 18650 batteries
• Extremely durable with high strength aero grade aluminum alloy body and premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish of JETBeam style grey
• Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with double-sided anti-reflective coating ensures the highest efficiency and durability
• Free stainless steel crenulated bezel protects key parts on the head and also can be used in an emergency
(e.g. break car window for escape)
• Free Ti-coated clip for tactical use
• Free holster for easy carry and protection for flashlight
• Full tactical accessories for option
• IPX-8 waterproof (submersible up to 2 meters)
• Impact-resistant accords with US MIL-STD-810F (1.5 meters)

S-2.jpg

S-3.jpg

S-4.jpg

S-5.jpg

The anodizing is superb (type III) - dark gray with no chips or blemishes to be found on my sample. Labels are clear and white. There is knurling on the battery tube and the tailcap.
S-6.jpg

The light has 3 parts (i.e. head, body, and tailcap).
S-7.jpg

The light comes in a silver stainless steel crenelated bezel which are removable and allows light to shine through when left placed head down. The head has a number of machined design elements such as cutouts which seem to be mostly for good grip when twisting body and aesthetics.
There is no cooling fins on the head. There is a raised post on the positive contact plate in the head, so flat-top 18650 batteries should work fine. There is an outer golden connection ring for detecting head tight/head loose. The light has reverse polarity protection to protect from incorrect battery installation (i.e., the electronics of the 3M Pro has in-built reverse polarity protection).
S-8.jpg

The light uses toughened ultra-clear glass lens with double-sided anti-reflective coating. The purple hue is reflected on the lens. The aluminum reflector has a smooth pattern. Surface finish on the reflector was very good from visual inspection, and well-centered XP-L LED sits at the bottom of the reflector cup.
S-10.jpg

The battery tube (i.e., body) is mostly covered in a knurling with two flat faces where manufacturer & model name printed on. The Ti-coated stainless steel clip is removable. Knurling is not so aggressive, but overall grip is good as the clip and the exterior design enhance grip. The body accommodates 2x(R)CR123A's and (un)protected 18650 cells without issue. The wall thickness of the body is about 3mm. The light feels solid.
S-11.jpg

The above shows the Jetbeam's Jet-1 Pro Ver3.0 R2 runs on 1xAA. The 3M Pro looks similar to it in exterior shape with only difference in size.
S-12.jpg

You are able to remove the clip toward the head after disconnecting the head from the body in both lights.
S-13.jpg

The knurling is a rectangular shape.
S-14-1.jpg

There are a fair number of screw threads. The screw threads are typical triangular-cut of good quality. Threads on both ends are well machined, with those on the rear end being anodized which allows the light to be locked-out when the tailcap is slightly loosened. As supplied, threads on both ends are well lubricated. Threads on either ends on the body mate well with the head and tailcap with no issues of cross-threading or grinding.
S-15.jpg

The tailcap switch is a forward clicky. There is a band of knurling on the tailcap.
The rubber push button cap doesn't protrude out the rear end, so the light is able to tailstand, The switch has a bit stiff tension with short travel and tactile clicking feedback.
User Interface
There are two modes - tactical mode (head fully tightened against the body) and general mode (head slightly loosened).
The light is turned on/off by the forward tailcap switch (i.e., press for momentary on, click for lock on).

With the head fully tightened, activation yields Turbo only.

For general mode, starting with the head slightly loosened, click on to activate High output. Soft-press to advance to Med. -> Low -> Ultra Low -> Strobe in sequence.

If you turn the light off-on within 1 second, you will advance to the next output (i.e., acts as a soft-press). If you wait longer than that, you will return to the last output level used. The light has mode memory (even after a battery change).
S-16.jpg

From left to right, VicLite 18650(2600mAh) protected, Fenix SD10, Jetbeam 3M Pro, Lumintop TD16, Armytek Predator v2, Klarus RS11 (for size comparison).
S-17.jpg

The head size & light weight excluding battery of four lights are as follows (for beamshot comparison):
SD10-40.5mm/158g, 3M Pro-38.0mm/149g, TD16-38.5mm/159g, Predator v2-39.5mm/163g
S-18.jpg

It is good size to hold and can be used as a tactical light. Overall grip is fine. Overall build quality is very high.
Measured Dimensions & Weight
S-20.jpg

PWM
S-21.jpg

There is a visible PWM flickering on general modes except Turbo. But I don't find the PWM flickering to be annoying or obtrusive in the 3M Pro. I notice there is very small buzzing sound on High, Med., and Low.
Runtime

The runtime to fall to 10% of its initial output from 30 seconds after the point the light is first turned on (i.e., based on ANSI FL-1) for Turbo & High output is as follows :

1. Turbo
S-22.jpg

3M Pro steps down on Turbo after around 2.5 mins on all battery sources, and this seems to be a timed drop-down, not a thermal sensor feature. Regulation is maintained very nicely on 2xRCR123A after step-down. The light shows a gradual drop-off after a defined step-down in output on 1x18650 and 2xCR123A. Output increased on 2xRCR123A and 2xCR123A relative to 1x18650 (i.e., there is a some difference in output on different voltage). Note that the light steps down to lower level as the battery near exhaustion rather than just drop off rapidly. The last step-down on all battery sources drops you to lower output level. This means it's time to change your batteries and you can use unprotected li-ion cells in the light.

2. High
S-23.jpg

Like Turbo, the light steps down on High on 1x18650 after around 2.5 mins and the output decreases gradually.
3. Comparing to other 1x18650 lights on Max.
S-24.jpg

Overall output-runtime efficiency seems good. The runtime graph shape of the 3M Pro is very similar to the Klarus new RS11 on 1x18650 battery source, but longer runtime.
Beamshot
1. White door beamshot (about 50cm from the white door) on max. output on 1x18650 (2600mAh) VicLite protected cell
- ISO100, F/3.5, 1/400sec, Auto white balance
S-25.jpg

- ISO100, F/3.5, 1/800sec, Auto white balance
S-26.jpg

- ISO100, F/3.5, 1/1000sec, Auto white balance
S-27.jpg

The light has a middle sized bright hot spot. Its size seems to be almost same as other XM-L2 lights, but bigger than XP-G2. The hotspot is well focused. The spill beam is smaller than Fenix SD10 and Lumintop TD16. Beam quality is good, free from noticeable artifact. The beam has a typical cool tint. In my view, the tint is not irrelevant to the coated lens.
2. Indoor beamshot (about 7m from the target) on max. output on 1x18650 (2600mAh) VicLite protected cell
- ISO100, F/2.8, 1/3sec, Auto white balance
S-28.jpg

S-29.gif

3. 55m Outdoor Beamshot on max. output on 1x18650 (2600mAh) VicLite protected cell
- ISO100, F/2.8, 1sec, Auto white balance
S-30.jpg

S-31.gif

4. 60~65m Outdoor Beamshot on max. output on 1x18650 (2600mAh) VicLite protected cell
- ISO100, F/2.8, 1sec, Auto white balance
S-32.jpg

S-33_1.gif

The 3M Pro seems to be a bit thrower rather than a flooder.
Jetbeam Jet 3M Pro - 2014 was provided by Jetbeam for review.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
Thanks for the thorough review. :)

Jetbeam is NOT alone when it comes to Boasting how many lumens their light has, yet these are basically "Burst modes" and they can not sustain that advertized output for long!

Other than that it seems like a nice light for people that don't want high output for extended periods of time.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
it looks like it has some good output, thank you!

Other than that it seems like a nice light for people that don't want high output for extended periods of time.
Thank you.
As you mention, the jet 3M Pro (2014) is not a very high-driven light and doesn't give you a very high output on Max. like other XM-L2 based high-driven lights. But it will give you a longer runtime with some good output. :)

Last edited:

naked2

Enlightened
Great review, candle lamp!
I sure don't like the tint of the 3M Pro in the outdoor shot against the building though. Don't get me wrong, by no means am I a "neutral white fanboy", but on my screen, it looks quite purple, maybe >7000K (I prefer around 5000K for flashlights). Is it really that purple in person?

naked2

Enlightened
Thanks, and welcome to CPF! I'll wait for candle lamp's reply here though; the tint of his sample might be different than the other reviewer's sample.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review, candle lamp!
I sure don't like the tint of the 3M Pro in the outdoor shot against the building though. Don't get me wrong, by no means am I a "neutral white fanboy", but on my screen, it looks quite purple, maybe >7000K (I prefer around 5000K for flashlights). Is it really that purple in person?

Here is comparison beamshot (50 cm distance from the head of the light to the white door):
S-34.jpg

Both lights have cool white, but the Jet 3M Pro(XP-L) shows a bit purplish tint in the spill beam.
But less purplish than real world. It seems to be due to auto white balance.

naked2

Enlightened
Thanks! In your beamshots, I sure like the looks of the SD10. I haven't bought a Fenix since they came out with the TK12, but now I'm now VERY interested in the SD10! I also have a TK10 with a TK11 body so I can use 2x18350. Even though it's no where near as bright as some of my newer similarly sized lights, due to it's perfect beam quality/shape/tint, it's still one of my favorites. I've always liked Fenix's quality construction as well.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
ordered rcr123s for it as will as some Orbtronic 3400mah goodness should have everything Friday. Having looked into Cree's website about the new XP-L I am actually gonna believe Jetbeams 1100 and 980 lumen claims for now. Will let you know, the light WILL get a workout

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have had the 3m Pro a few days now and LOVE it! It is my second Jetbeam. It is built like a tank! Im running Orbtronic rcr123's in it for max output and Ive got a 3400mah Orbtronic 18650 for when I know Im going to need to use the light for a couple of hours. So far so very good I am VERY impressed! The tint out of mine doesnt look anywhere near as purple as the examples in your beamshots but is still on the cooler side. Love the crisp defined hotspot. I love the big chunky stainless steel bezel on this thing. I also like that the clip is designed folded over against the body so you can clip the light in your pocket bezel up AND bezel down. I find the UI kind of odd though having to twist the head down a step THEN click through the modes with the tail clicky? I do not understand why Jetbeam just didnt make the UI fully a head twisting thing ala Eagletac it would have made getting to strobe much easier and faster. Strobe being the last mode in the click cycle is kind of useless. Like the sheath the light comes with and am more impressed that I was able to get this fantastic light for roughly 70 bucks! It compliments my SRA40 perfectly

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I just picked one up today and would guess it puts out about 1/2 of its claimed lumen output?

I noticed Selfbuilt got 560 lumens/980 "claimed" lumens on the RRT26 and I'm thinking they exaggerated this one a bit more.

It's a nice light but probably closer to 5-600 lumens than 1100. And that's before stepdown.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm interesting...I myself am pretty convinved my 3mPro is a 1000 lumen light with the Orbtronic RCR's I got for it. Test it out against my dozens of other lights almost nightly and so far the only like size light Ive got that is absolutely brighter is my Olight R40A. Still totally love the light it is waaayy overbuilt love the two way clip as well. Cant wait for Selfbuilts review. This is my second Jetbeam the first being the awesome SRA40 been highly impressed with Jetbeam so far. Gotta say that WOW! That little Armytek really can throw!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
www.orbtronic.com everything they sell is arguably best of the best and they are the only company I know of that offers the impossible to find new 3600mah Pany 18650's. I just checked their site and I dont see any mention of 18350's though.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked one up today and would guess it puts out about 1/2 of its claimed lumen output?

I noticed Selfbuilt got 560 lumens/980 "claimed" lumens on the RRT26 and I'm thinking they exaggerated this one a bit more.

It's a nice light but probably closer to 5-600 lumens than 1100. And that's before stepdown.

I do think 1100 lumens is an overestimate. As you would notice the runtime graph, you will get the max. lumens with 2xRCR123. But, you can't get 1100 lumens with 2xRCR123 either.