FABULAS BICYCLE LIGHTS????

jawnn

Enlightened
Are there any other fabulous bicycle lights besides the Fenix BC30 and the Ixon IQ???

I do not want to see any that are not made for the road. ie: lights that shine in drivers eyes.

Last edited:

chaosdsm

Enlightened
I've been looking for a few months, & so far it seems that most bike lights are made for off-road biking. You can angle the others towards the ground more, but then you're sacrificing distance illumination... Some have a plastic piece on top of the light that extends up to 3/4" past the lens to block some of the light, but this method is only effective at very short ranges, i.e. less than 10 yards :(

I really hope there are more options, I love the Fenix lights, but cannot afford them right now. Would love the option of riding my bicycle to & from college which is just 3 miles away & not spending $$$ on gas.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simply go to a cycle shop who stock purpose made cycle lamps for the very purpose.Most lights offered here are in the main hobby lights that you fit to your handle bar which in use blind drivers because the rider has no respect for other road users in many but not all cases.

You are an exception as you state no non cycle type which I applaud.:thumbsup:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
USE EXPOSURE make a road specific light, but £££.

Had one a couple years ago. Road hard, Quick rinse in sink, drowned..... Build quality then was 7/10, o-rings looked like plastic. Never bothered with warranty.

Although to be fair, looking at their website, they look like they've grown huge, and the lights appear to look even better.

I still have a Nite Rider kicking around in a desk somewhere, that thing is built like a tank. They have some really cool offerings now on their website.

Need to get back on a bike.:eek:

jawnn

Enlightened
looks like the Niteye B10 is an invitation to get bight head ligths flashed in your eyes.

The exposure lights look like flash lights.....are they focused to make a tight beam, which would keep the light out of the on cumming traffic's eyes?

I have a really good hand torch, the Sunayman D40A. but it does not produce as much light on the road as it seems when standing still.

Is there anything wrong with the Ixon IQ or the Fenix BC30??? they look really good to me. But may need two of them....?? And the prices looked OK also. (On amazon)

Has anyone built a light that is ok for the road? ie: inside a tube?

Last edited:

jawnn

Enlightened
the link above stalled out. was this the one? this review is much better than the Ixon review. is there a better review of it? wish I had time to search for it. Maybe later.

The Ixon IQ sounds may not be water proof enough?

The Fenix review compares it with an Solar Storm light. Several is on Ebay... why? Are they out of business?
Or is that they are just not good for the road? OK the reviews on amazon are poor, bad batteries, cheap craft work, not as bright as expected. But the price is almost Un-resistable.

Here is a photo of the new holder I just got, I don't remember the name.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BIgGxflEi0w/VEwF261dqII/AAAAAAAACaw/Bq0uRbOFmsc/s1600/100_4112.JPG

Last edited:

unnamedny

Newly Enlightened
I have had a Niterider 600 for 3 years now. It's rechargeable and usually does not exceed my road biking time. I usually run it on medium and rarely run it on high. Biking speeds vary from slow to 30+mph and it performs well no matter what. It's not a brainer, if you a looking for a quality bike light, buy specific cycling light. Case closed.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had a Niterider 600 for 3 years now. It's rechargeable and usually does not exceed my road biking time. I usually run it on medium and rarely run it on high. Biking speeds vary from slow to 30+mph and it performs well no matter what. It's not a brainer, if you a looking for a quality bike light, buy specific cycling light. Case closed.

+1

jawnn

Enlightened
Does the niterider lights shine into the drivers eyes? Looks like they do. why would anyone want to aggravate drivers to flash their brights in you face?

Niterider light: Run Time: 1.5 hours on High (700 lumens)
Fenix BC30:
Turbo: 1200 Lumens (1 hour 50min)

I still do not understand just how to figure out what lumen count the Ixon IQ is at 80 Lux.

A flux of 1000 lumens, concentrated into an area of one square metre, lights up that square metre with an illuminance of 1000 lux. However, the same 1000 lumens, spread out over ten square metres, produces a dimmer illuminance of only 100 lux.
Achieving an illuminance of 500 lux might be possible in a home kitchen with a singlefluorescent lightfixture with an output of12000 lumens. To light a factory floor with dozens of times the area of the kitchen would require dozens of such fixtures. Thus, lighting a larger area to the same level of luxrequires a greater number of lumens.

Last edited:

jawnn

Enlightened
I finally decided that the Ixon IQ is the only one with a good beam shape, ie: to keep the light out of the on-coming traffic's eyes. all other lights are for off road or a combination. Even the Fenix BC 30 has problems from using parabolic reflectors.

Last edited:

jawnn

Enlightened
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial]I contacted trek about their lights and got this reply: (still no decisive answer)[/FONT]
Thank you for contacting Trek
Our lights are very adjustable and can be tilted and rotated to point in virtually any direction you would like the light to shine in.