Best Cells for Multi-cell High Lumen Light?

jimbo231

Enlightened
I want to buy a high power 3 to 4 cell 18650 light and wondered what cells I would need? Can I use regular protected aw's or do I need their imr cells? I just want to be sure I'm dealing with a safe light.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a modified SupFire M6 3xXM-L2, 4x18650s and according to the modder, the Samsung 25Rs (2500mAh) gave the greatest output compared to some of the better high-drain cells that he sells.

The stock M6 pulls about 7A+ at the tail, so the modded one is probably a bit more.

According to HKJ, the Sony VTC-5s can do 15A, 20A, 30A better than 25-Rs, but you really can't find them, or the VCT-4s, easily these days.

Sony VCT-5, Sanyo 25Rs and 20Rs, LG HE2s and the Effest Purple 35As all get pretty good marks for high drain applications.

I might try 4 of the LG HE2s when I can find them a bit down the road.

Chris

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
I want to buy a high power 3 to 4 cell 18650 light and wondered what cells I would need? Can I use regular protected aw's or do I need their imr cells? I just want to be sure I'm dealing with a safe light.
The cells you'll need vary with what light you're getting. It will be hard to give precise recommendations without more info.
A lot comes into play: button-tops or flat-tops, choice of chemistry, length and width, protected or unprotected, and it all depends on the light the cells will be used in.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
One other often forgotten possibility here is the Panasonic NCR18650BD. It can't crank out the amps of the Sony cells. But it's good for 10A continuous and 15A pulse, which is certainly enough for many high power lights. A significant advantage of this cell is its fairly high capacity (much higher than the Sony cells). At 3200mAH, it has almost the same capacity as the popular NCR18650B, but with significantly higher current capacity.