How do you EDC your MD2?

Gaffle

Enlightened
I do have the typical flashaholic syndrome, I need them with me all the time. For the past, I don't know, 4 years I have been spoiled with the HDS Clicky H-CRI. What a nice light, I can carry it every day, business or casual, disappears in my pocket, and has enough light for all of my uses. Well, almost all of my uses....that's the pitch I am taking with my beautiful wife.

Earlier this summer I lost power while the wife and kids were away. With no electronics, and its 10pm, might as well take the dog for a long night walk. I wanted to take something with more punch so along came the maglite. Not a modded mag, just with mag led dropin. Bigger than the HDS, tighter spot, little more lux in spot, but still not quite right. Having a smaller light, with some nice bright neutral beam would be a nice addition.

Now, I have some other specifications to my list. I am not sure if anyone else is sick of mega multi-mode lights, but I am (kind of). I like my HDS a lot, I programmed it to my liking, and there it has sat. I have not messed with my programming since the first week or so. That's why I bought a programmable HDS, to set it and forget it. Sometimes my wife and kids get annoyed if they use the light because of the clicking to get to a desired brightness. When I look at some of the new lights around, like Zebralight, they seem appealing yet some of the UI is turning me off. I think I want something simpler.

Now here I come to topic. Here is the Malkoff MD2. Add the high-low switch and you got a very easy (for everybody) light to use. I recently watched a review of a MD2 vs Zebralight on youtube. Even though reviewer was pro the Zebralight, I was not swayed. I don't really need 1,000 lumens to walk at night, I also don't need 30 different modes. I just need a easy light that turns on lickety split.

I am curious how everyone is EDCing their MD2s ( I assume some of you are). Nice thing about Malkoff is the ability so slap on a MD4 with two 18650s and a Hound Dog or Wildcat. Either of those heads would fully satisfy a need of super bright. I would have a MD2 sitting in my Typhoon while at work and pocket/coat during day trips. I have never used a holster, but never say never. Let's see what you addicts got!

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep a very small (AAA or sub-AAA) light in my pants pocket. Bigger lights like a 2XCR123 or 1X18650 MD2 or 6P go in a coat pocket (winter) or knapsack.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the time the MD2 is carried along in a bag or jacket carried.

Gaffle

Enlightened
I have seen a few pics of a MD2 with a pocket clip. The clip seems a bit low for a flush pocket ride. Does anyone actually use the clip? Also, how about a lanyard? I wouldn't say a lanyard is a must for me, but it is something I would miss. The Moddoo clip on my HDS has been a great attachment point for my lanyard with a small McGizmo clip.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
An MD2 rides comfortably in my front pocket most days of the week, with a Prometheus 6P clip. An MD2 and MD3, with decorative HDS clips, live in my EDC backpack.

It doesn't ride completely inside the pocket, but that adds to the comfort factor.

I've got paracord loops on a few MDs for the attachment of a McGizmo lanyard.

pineapple

Newly Enlightened
I have an MD2 with the Malkoff pocket clip. It's not an EDC for me, but I can comfortably carry it in the front pocket of blue jeans*. The tail cap does stick out above the pocket, but the light still feels secure in there. I'm running it with the high-low ring and an M361 LMH drop-in at present - 6 levels of output. It's kinda fun to play around with, but to be honest the standard M61 with high-low ring is perfectly fine.

*Full disclosure: I don't wear tight fitting jeans.

Last edited: