Cree SC5 platform, XHP LED's

Hoop

Enlightened
Cree has announced their SC5 platform and XHP LED's.

"The first available family of XHP LEDs is the XLamp® XHP50 LED, delivering up to 2250 lumens at 19 watts from a 5.0 x 5.0-mm package. At its maximum current, the XHP50 provides twice the light output of the industry's brightest single-die LED, the XLamp XM-L2 LED, at a similar lumens per watt and without increasing the package footprint. By leveraging Cree's latest reliability innovations, the XHP50 is designed to maintain L90 lifetimes above 50,000 hours even at high temperature and current. " -Cree Press Release

Details are sparse. Looks like the new LED's will be 6v and/or 12v and have the same footprint as the XM-L2 package.

agz8.jpg

Last edited:

mds82

Enlightened
Still waiting for some sort of datasheet. besides for that press release there's nothing available yet

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
"the XHP50 provides twice the light output of the industry's brightest single-die LED, the XLamp XM-L2 LED"

Are not the 8k lumen 100 watt leds single die? (or do they mean brightest at 1 to 20 watts?

Last edited:

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Re: New Cree Led incoming...

Most of Cree's LED's weren't designed for flashlights, people just got nifty ideas and put two and two together. An LED like this would be perfect for something like the Fenix TK61. Or, a nice new side project for me involving extra lights on my SUV.

kuna

Newly Enlightened
Re: New Cree Led Incoming...

Hmm 2200 lumens from a 5 x 5mm die? Same footprint as the XM-L2? Sounds like pretty good news to me. I'm sure these will be replacing the XM-L2s in the not-too-distant future. They will also be great for most lights that use XM-L2s, not just the Tk61 :)

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree has announced their SC5 platform and XHP LED's.

.... Looks like the new LED's will be 6v and/or 12v and have the same footprint as the XM-L2 package.

If this is correct, that kinda rules out the single 18650, unless there are some fancy boost systems out there.

Picsorban, Cree!

Yes, looks like an MT-G2 replacement for both home lighting applications ... and of course flashlights. Looks like Fenix will need to update the TK-35 UE.... not sure what replaces the "Ultimate" ... maybe the "Dream" edition.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Notice that they never stated a boost in efficiency with this die. It may be that they built one that's designed to handle that much more power for raw output. There are already enough problems with thermal management and dropped outputs for extended runtimes.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Notice that they never stated a boost in efficiency with this die. It may be that they built one that's designed to handle that much more power for raw output. There are already enough problems with thermal management and dropped outputs for extended runtimes.

Exactly, it has about the same efficiency as the XM-L2. It gets its boost in output due to running up to 19W with its higher voltage.

I don't know what they are doing about heat but it does boast a pretty impressive 50,000 hour L90 lifespan (until output drops to 90%).

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
There wasn't any mention of die size was there? Just 5x5 footprint. I'm guessing it's like the XP-L, where the die is almost the size of the footprint (XM-L die in a XP footprint), so a bigger die in the same XM-L footprint, at the same efficiency etc., so more total light. Which could then mean it will be the same Vf as the XM-L2, just a bigger slice of the same die?

kuna

Newly Enlightened
The total die size will probably be a little bit larger than the current XM-L2. The XHP-50 is also a four-die led, probably running in s2p2. Maybe they will make a single die version soon. The LED will also be able to operate at up to 105c and still maintain a 50,000 hour l90 lifespan I hear also.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
I would have to disagree with that assertion, unless you happened to have some literature on this diode that I haven't been able to find yet. Other XH lamps are single-die discrete diodes on Cree's site. To me the XHP is going to be a scaled down version of the MT-G2. So far everything I have been able to find points to almost identical electrical characteristics as the MT-G2 in a smaller 5mmx5mm area instead of a 8.9mmx8.9mm diode.

That being said, a more compact version of the MT-G2 would make for some fairly exciting multi-18650 lights.

mds82

Enlightened
Mashables posted this picture the day it came out. I'm not sure if its accurate but it looks like something cree would make for sure. it shows a 4 die setup

CreeLightTech.jpg

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
I stand corrected. Interesting design for sure. I wonder what the actual phosphor foot print is then. It's not quite the full 5mmx5mm board, but it might be a bit larger than an XM-L2?