CR2 rechargeable options for rifle optic

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say stick with primaries due to higher capacity, as I'm 99% certain an RCR CR2 is gonna be much lower capacity than a primary disposable

edit: I'm suggesting primaries because this is a gun scope and a pretty important piece :)

bmel17

Newly Enlightened
i was just hoping i could find something rechargeable for long time future use, basically a SHTF scenario. My other optics take 123's and AA, so I'm more than covered there, but just looking for this new one I decided to try. I just couldn't say no for the price I paid and it was brand new.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Another vote for primaries. Aside from the possibility of frying the optic if it is not designed for up to the 4.2v of a lithium ion cell, the rechargeable will probably last only 1/2 as long as a primary between charges. You can get Titanium Innovations CR2 primaries for about $1 each from Battery Junction. There are some very interesting threads here discussing Ultrafire.

bmel17

Newly Enlightened
if it does fry the optic, it has a warranty, so it will get replaced. Thing is I can't recharge primaries with my solar charger or my car charger in a long term survival situation.

The link I provided is for Watson brand? Anyone have any experience with them? Or any other suggestions?

BillSWPA

Enlightened
In a survival situation you will also have a tough time getting warranty service for the optic. Better to stock up on a bunch of primaries.

bmel17

Newly Enlightened
In a survival situation you will also have a tough time getting warranty service for the optic. Better to stock up on a bunch of primaries.

that is exactly why I want to work out these kinks now ahead of time. I also have other optics to use. This is just my newest one. The primaries will run out eventually

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Another issue to consider is that, even if the rechargeable cell appears to work in the optic, it could be slowly damaging the optic and causing premature failure. How long is the battery life? How many CR2 cells are you likely to go through in a survival situation? Are you thinking about a situation like the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina? If so, keep in mind what happened at that time. Most of the time you would likely have to keep the rifle hidden, pulling it out only in times of great need. A small number of cells would likely last for some time.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have heard from multiple military & LEO sources that rechargeable cells in high power firearms is not optimal. That is why I only use primaries for those types of applications.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is exactly why I want to work out these kinks now ahead of time. I also have other optics to use. This is just my newest one. The primaries will run out eventually

good thinking. if nothing else, this is a good discussion regarding "alternative" batteries in high-reliability situations :)

bmel17

Newly Enlightened
well I emailed Vortex to see if li-ion would work.

Li-ion batteries should work fine. Just make sure to use 3volt. Thanks and let me know if you need anything else.

they emailed back very fast too!

So glad to know even if it does not work I will be covered by Vortex~ Now to find some batteries

Last edited:

bjt3833

Newly Enlightened
Please be sure to note they told you to use 3 volt ones so that knocks out the majority of rechargeable batteries. Now that they specifically told you they had to be 3 volt, if you put a 4.2 volt lithium ion in there then I wouldn't cover you for intentionally going against what they told you.

LiFePO was the chemistry I was trying to remember that's 3 volt.

Last edited:

Hoop

Enlightened
Just to add this to the thread for reference: I use AW's rechargeable CR2's (350mah 15266 RCR2's) in my 47's MLR2. They handle the high output and have tolerated some accidental over-discharging. (MLR2 has buck-boost)

Last edited: