D4 Digicharger NOT charging 26650

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
My husband and I own a D4 Digicharger from Nitecore that claims to charge 26650 batteries.

I cannot however charge the Olight 26650 battery for his Olight R40 Seeker in that charger even though I have no problem charging the Olight 16340 batteries we use for our S10 Batons on our keychains.

Does anyone know why or has anyone ever experienced this before?

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v2/...le-with-all-rechargeable-Li-ion-Ni-MH-and.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/418sq-HBCeL.jpg

image tags removed from hot linked images - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

ven

Flashaholic
Is it not down to the specific battery designed by olight,it is designed for the R40 charge system as iirc the + and - are different hence why you can not charge a standard 26650 in the R40 ...............just a thought:thumbsup:

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
Is it not down to the specific battery designed by olight,it is designed for the R40 charge system as iirc the + and - are different hence why you can not charge a standard 26650 in the R40 ...............just a thought:thumbsup:

Are you implying that I am putting it in the charger backwards even if it looks forwards for every other battery? :oops:

Addendum: Nope. Not that. Checked the spare battery battery and it's the same as others. Now I am totally confused. What is different about the charge system for the R40 seeker versus a regular 26650 battery charger?

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Have a search on here or just look up the r40,it has the + and - at one end (2 separate contacts) for charging in the light. Thats all i can think of,i dont own the light:)

HKJ

Flashaholic
Chargers can only charge standard batteries, the Olight 26650 battery is modified. It has two connections on the bottom, due to the build in charging.

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
Chargers can only charge standard batteries, the Olight 26650 battery is modified. It has two connections on the bottom, due to the build in charging.

Thanks. That makes sense. Not sure why there is a + on the other end but the bottom alone is reason enough for it not to work.

ven

Flashaholic
Basically charge the cell in the r40 as designed .

You can use other 26650 cells in the r40 still(normal ones not designed by olight for this specific charging) BUT!!!!!!!! you can not charge a normal 26650 in the light,it has to be charged in your d4.

So you have some flexibility there,maybe buy a spare 26650 cell as back up to swap :thumbsup:

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
Basically charge the cell in the r40 as designed .

You can use other 26650 cells in the r40 still(normal ones not designed by olight for this specific charging) BUT!!!!!!!! you can not charge a normal 26650 in the light,it has to be charged in your d4.

So you have some flexibility there,maybe buy a spare 26650 cell as back up to swap :thumbsup:

I have a spare as stated in post #3.

I sure wish I could find an external charger for my husband's Seeker. I seen what frequently opening a waterproof flap to a Usb port does to the strength of the flap on my Sony Xperia Z Ultra.

Speaking of Android phones, I wish I could have posted this through the Cpf app rather than through the browser. I am not going to install Tapatalk.

ven

Flashaholic
One of the advantages of the r40 is the ability to charge cells in the light via usb,using a 26650 *should* allow greater run times,other wise maybe not ideal choice of light. Always best to use oe (original equiement)chargers or matching spec as all vary in output. Ideally if can not find contact olight and buy another charge lead.

Other than that just use your spare(see post 3) and charge in i4 as after all you dont seem confident in the "usb flaps"

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
:scowl::p
One of the advantages of the r40 is the ability to charge cells in the light via usb,using a 26650 *should* allow greater run times,other wise maybe not ideal choice of light. Always best to use oe (original equiement)chargers or matching spec as all vary in output. Ideally if can not find contact olight and buy another charge lead.

Other than that just use your spare(see post 3) and charge in i4 as after all you dont seem confident in the "usb flaps"

There are no external chargers sold by Olight for this battery. Hey, it's a D4 not an I4! :scowl: ;)

My husband loves this light. It is the best driver's or vehicle light. Best light for not only glove compartment for common driver but also best light for commercial vehicle drivers' routine use.

ven

Flashaholic
Fare enough d4 /i4/wp6/vp2 none will charge cell:p

I must be bad at getting or communicating,contact olight for a new usb charger (the lead or what ever part is missing) problem solved.

Or use you cell from post No 3 and use your *D4*:nana: charger and treat as any other li ion cell light that does not support in house charging...........simples,2 solutions to your problems. As of your concern over USB covers(although i am yet to have issue) the former sounds like the best solution..........

Or contact olight and order a lead,they may send you one out.............
:thumbsup:

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
Fare enough d4 /i4/wp6/vp2 none will charge cell:p

I must be bad at getting or communicating,contact olight for a new usb charger (the lead or what ever part is missing) problem solved.

Or use you cell from post No 3 and use your *D4*:nana: charger and treat as any other li ion cell light that does not support in house charging...........simples,2 solutions to your problems. As of your concern over USB covers(although i am yet to have issue) the former sounds like the best solution..........

Or contact olight and order a lead,they may send you one out.............
:thumbsup:

I will just have to charge both batteries inside the light.

I can contact Olight to see if they have plans for an external charger for that battery. I can only hope.

ven

Flashaholic
Ah so the spare is an olight too,got ya,other options are standard 26650 too,that way D4 charger can be used if preferred:thumbsup:

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
Ah so the spare is an olight too,got ya,other options are standard 26650 too,that way D4 charger can be used if preferred:thumbsup:

Yes, unfortunately the spare is also an Olight 26650.

Are you aware of any fully protected 26650 batteries that would charge in a D4 Digicharger and work in the R40 Seeker? Most 26650 batteries tend to be of the unprotected variety.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

Are you aware of any fully protected 26650 batteries that would charge in a D4 Digicharger and work in the R40 Seeker? Most 26650 batteries tend to be of the unprotected variety.

Illumination Supply has a protected 5200 mAh Keeppower 26650 in stock. Not sure if it would fit, though.

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
Illumination Supply has a protected 5200 mAh Keeppower 26650 in stock. Not sure if it would fit, though.

Olight: 2.2" X 1"

Keeppower: 2.8" X 1.0433

No but thank you for trying and posting. I appreciate it.

ven

Flashaholic

I dont have any protected 26650,all mine are IMR,either Kinoko or MNKE :thumbsup:

Check Xtars out,although i presume not much different to the KeepPowers(worth a look though)

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight: 2.2" X 1"

Keeppower: 2.8" X 1.0433

No but thank you for trying and posting. I appreciate it.

Those dimensions cannot be correct. A 26650 is more than 2.2 inches long, protected or not. And some lights can accommodate a variety of cells...my FourSevens MMU-X3 can take 26650s from 65-70mm, for sure. Just because a cell is listed as larger, doesn't mean it won't fit.

Given that 26650 is by definition the size of a cell, in mm, using inches make no sense to me. Making things needlessly complicated, which can lead to errors. See above.

Last edited:

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
I dont have any protected 26650,all mine are IMR,either Kinoko or MNKE :thumbsup:

Check Xtars out,although i presume not much different to the KeepPowers(worth a look though)

Not interested in unprotected batteries. I can barely pay attention to cooking well with other chores at times. I am too easily distracted for unprotected cells.