How come there is no Nichia 219 or XP-G2 R5 4A from Zebralight?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few weeks ago I got me a L10 with Nichia 219 and a Banggood AAA light with XP-G2 R5 4A. I prefer the tints from these lights over the more yellowish tint of the XML from my H52w.

Now my order of beam profile and tint preference is:

1. Banggood light XP-G2 R5 4A: Huge hot spot with a rosy tint.

2. L10 Nichia 219 high CRI: Nice neutral white.

3. H52w XML: yellowish with small hot spot.

Unfortunately, those other lights are traditional flashlights and can't replace my H52w as an EDC light. Then there is the matter of UI and brightness. I just wish the H52 line comes with these other tints and beam profiles.

Last edited:

Charles L.

Enlightened
I like the L10 with 219 as well, but I also like the Luxeon T in the ZL SC62d. Perhaps we'll see that in a ZL headlamp one day?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree. I am a fan of DC-fix. Have it on all my lights. It helps a lot with the beam profile, but the yellowish tint is still there. Without it the beam of my H52w (Ver1) is ugly. I am tempted to send Zebralight my $19 Banggood light so they can have an idea of what a great beam profile is. To be clear, all this is personal and subjective.

Blue Steel

Newly Enlightened
I have a Zebralight H600w mk II and a L10 with nichia. I prefer the marginally warmer tint of the ZL. Side by side, the ZL has better color rendering, to my eye.

fnsooner

Enlightened
I have a Zebralight H600w mk II and a L10 with nichia. I prefer the marginally warmer tint of the ZL. Side by side, the ZL has better color rendering, to my eye.
I kind of agree with this. I purchased the Zebralight H600fw mk II about a moth ago. IMO, it has the best tint of any light I own. I have always been jealous when some would talk about their rosy tints. I had never had a light with this charcteristic. That is until now. The Zebralight H600fw mk II that I have has rosy tones to its tint. XML, rosy, I swear.

I bought this light due to Stefano's posts and his raving about the tint. Thanks Stefano.

It is still a tint lottery though.

Last edited:

Charles L.

Enlightened
It is still a tint lottery though.

Agreed. That and personal preference. Perhaps it's just my SC600 MkIIw, or me, or both, but I find the light to appear artificially yellow on anything other than the highest setting. Of my lights, my personal tint preference is for the Nichia in the L10 or the Luxeon in the SC62d. Or the old XRE (a warm tint) in my 2010 vintage Jetbeam IIIM ;) My H600 is cool white, which isn't my favorite but doesn't bother me either. I'll compare it a warm Armytek Wizard Pro as soon as I get it.

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
With Zebralight, it's best to wait for a v.2 of their products. I remember reading in the SC52 thread that people were getting green tinted lights when it first came out. Now the tint is consistently better across all their lights. I got one of the first H52w. Perhaps the tint is better now with current batch.

Last edited:

onetrickpony

Enlightened
How can you tell what version you have? Mine has a straight barrel as opposed to the ribbed version I see pics of on the zl site currently, but the tint is great, not yellow to my eyes at any level.

I bought another for my dad, and his is the same, maybe slightly better to my eyes but still not yellow.

Did I get lucky?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
You probably did. Yes, the latest version is ribbed.

You think the tint could be better when you compare it to other lights. In actual use, they all work. I love neutral white, but won't perform my job any less with a cool white light. I carry two lights, and use only one. For three years it was the H51w. I thought the tint was fine because I didn't compare it to anything else. Then I got the H52w and the tint seemed better than the H51w, less yellow. Been using my H52w for about a year. Now that I have these other lights to compare it to, my H52w tint isn't that great.

So while they all work for me, a great tint makes using the light more pleasant.

Last edited: