Review: Fenix LD60: Pocket-sized searchlight, 1-3 x 18650, 2-6 x CR123A

kj75

Enlightened
Let's have a look at one of Fenix' latest releases, the LD60. This is a pocket-sized high output light. For me, this is the best compact all-rounder I've had until now, because the LD60 delivers a nice mix of flood and throw.

LD60, compact high-output all-rounder
14wr91f.jpg

1qkdps.jpg

2utnvh0.jpg

powered by 3 XM-L2 (U2) leds
35l7w5t.jpg

At first, a look at the (manufacturer) specs:

• Utilizes three Cree XM-L2 (U2) LEDs with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
• 5 Output modes
o Turbo: 2800 Lumens (1 hour, 30 min.)
o High: 1500 Lumens (3 hours)
o Mid: 500 Lumens (9 hours)
o Low: 160 Lumens (29 hours)
o Eco: 30 Lumens (150 hours)
• Instant-Strobe funtion
• 460-meter beam distance
• Reverse polarity protection guards against improper battery installation
• Compact construction
• Powered by three 18650 rechargeable Li-ion batteries or six 3V CR123ALithium batteries
• Triple LEDs with separate circuit design
• Intuitive one-button operation
• Camera tripod mountable
• Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
• Reverse polarity protection guards against improper battery installation
• Over-heat protection to avoid high-temperature of the surface
• Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
• Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
• Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
• Waterproof to IPX-8 standard. (2 meters for 30 minutes)

jra2yp.jpg

Unboxing:

The light comes in a carton box, with most specs mentioned on it. No surprise here, a typical Fenix package.

the package
1zdsry8.jpg

contents the light, holster, spare o-ring, user manual, lanyard, warranty card and 6 CR123A batteries
27ypan4.jpg

33c84r4.jpg

First impressions:

In my opinion a good looking light, it feels real compact and a bit heavy. Built quality is excellent, as always with Fenix lights. Anodizing is well done, but could be a bit better on the cooling fins. The leds are well-centered, engraving well done. The threads could be greased a bit more too. Not a big problem, simply add some silicone grease on it.

steady tail-stand
oavepy.jpg

the head and the cooling fins
rwqw7m.jpg

good grip
2j1679s.jpg

a look inside…
2m6uxia.jpg

23wqr28.jpg

ff3aqc.jpg

2ah61so.jpg

w8or5t.jpg

LD60 has three separate circuits, so you can mix your 18650's and CR123A's
15ogu1i.jpg

first Fenix torch (so far I know) that can be mounted on a tripod
219yvwi.jpg

so0lqw.jpg

User interface:

The LD60 is easy to handle with: one button for all modes. Pressing and holding for less than 1.2 seconds will activate the light, longer press will activate strobe. SOS-mode is missing. Cycle trough the modes by short clicking. Press and hold to shut off. Button works properly and has a soft touch. Disadvantage of the one button operation (IMO) is that you have to wait some longer before the light goes on/off.

one button for all modes
dz9r38.jpg

Size comparison:

with Fenix E99Ti
vhuo2h.jpg

together with Fenix brothers: E99Ti, E35UE, TK35UE, LD60, TK61
2v8sw9w.jpg

sdd7rq.jpg

Sunwayman F40A, Olight SR Mini, Fenix LD60
2hekdts.jpg

2q2mvdc.jpg

2q0omk7.jpg

Beamshots:

At first, the beam projected on a white wall.

camera settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 1/125 sec
24ev0jo.jpg

213oq6g.jpg

dzayj9.jpg

10mua1z.jpg

zixidc.jpg

animated
2cxd93n.jpg

here is an animated picture with one/two/ three leds activated
v30zk5.jpg

As discussed earlier on CPF, LD60 has a visible flickering on eco mode. I can only be seen indoors, when shining (for example) at the ceiling. Personally I don't mind, because this torch is designed for outdoor use.

And now, the outdoor shots:

camera settings: ISO100, F/2.7, WB daylight, 4.0 sec, 35mm
t66m88.jpg

xndn3l.jpg

288wqxu.jpg

33o060x.jpg

28svwhh.jpg

animated
2jbp8xc.jpg

LD60 has a nice cool white tint and a real impressive beam. You can lit up the hole street with it :D This light is nice mix of TK35 / TK75.

comparison to other lights:

I've compared the LD60 to some real throwers (TK61 and Barracuda), a flooder (SR Mini) and a mix of flood and throw with less output (E41).

stiq.jpg

21rlub.jpg

34zhxg3.jpg

2ia91k2.jpg

1e53q8.jpg

Conclusion:

LD60 is an impressive torch. It's a real all-rounder that you can take (although it's a little heavy) in your coat pocket. Built quality is excellent, anodizing (on the fins) could be better. Great thing is that it runs on only one of two batteries too, handy (for example) in emergency situations. Personally I don't mind the flickering on eco-mode, but I hope Fenix will fix this in the future. Hope Fenix will add an illuminated switch too in the future….There's one thing I'm sure of: I'm going to use this awesome light often!

> Thanks to Fenixlight and Knivesandtools for providing me this review-sample! <

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Thank you for an excellent review kj75:cool:,love the beam pics:thumbsup: i am already sold on this light so will be getting vn version at a later date. What does stand out and noticed it myself is the srmini,yes its a flood light but it has very usable throw too which does seem to be missed,your pic does show its a little more than a flooder.

The ld60 baby tk75 just looks like a perfect light:thumbsup: good mix of flood/throw in a solid compact size............i cant wait for vinhs u3 KT version(later date):naughty:

Thanks again for confriming 110% now i want one of these :laughing:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ability to mix cells and not worry about voltage is amazing but I hope they figure out the "pwm" issue. How is the tint on this light? is it cool white but not bluish?

Taz80

Enlightened
Very nice review, thank you. Thats a good spot for the beam shots, it gives a good idea of what the lights can actually do. About how far are the trees at the end?

Taz80

Enlightened
Thank you kj75. It has good throw to go with all that spill, the SR mini doesn't look to shabby either.

braddy

Enlightened
kj75 those were really informative beam shots, thanks. They were probably the best that I have seen as far as usefulness, sometimes I think people don't have a clear focus of what they are trying to reveal with their beam shots and get off track a little, or don't know how to do them, which I don't of either, but I can tell good ones when I see them.

I think you own a TK70, how do they compare?

kj75

Enlightened
I think you own a TK70, how do they compare?

No, I sold it, 1,5 year ago, because of my wallet :(

Maybe this picture can help, compared to the Fenix LD75C:
1zcislt.jpg

But TK70 has (much) more throw...

kj2

Flashaholic
Oh man.. The TK70 :) That light still kicks! :D Should charge the batteries for it, and give it some carry time. Weekend, plz come fast ;)

braddy

Enlightened
I bought a used TK70 and want to keep it, I assume that it will be the last of the great D battery flashlights. When I show people the TK70, will it perform the same with 3 D batteries instead of 4, I know the run time is different, but that shouldn't matter except for extended use, correct?

Today I will be getting a used LD60 that I just bought. Do you have a description of how the two lights should be described in their purposes, and which niche they fit? I'm having trouble trying to grasp how they relate with the different lumens, and the huge difference in the 130500cd versus the 53000cd of the LD60.

I know that I will be able to see the differences, but I was wondering if you had some flashlight guy vocabulary to describe what niche each light fills, and differs on, what they each excel in?

kj2

Flashaholic
AFAIK, the TK70 really needs 4 batteries, of course no alkalines, to perform at his best. The LD60 has a higher output but the TK70 has bigger reflectors. This will give it more throw. Since I don't own the LD60, nor have I seen it in real life, I don't know how the both compare on spill beam. The LD60 will light up more in front of you, where the TK70 is more a S(earch)A(nd)R(escue) idea.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I don't own the LD60, nor have I seen it in real life, I don't know how the both compare on spill beam. The LD60 will light up more in front of you, where the TK70 is more a S(earch)A(nd)R(escue) idea.

The LD75C in stock form falls slightly short of the TK75 also in stock form. The LD75Cvn with the dedomed U3 emitters does quite well and holds a good hotspot, better IMO than the stock TK75.

Needless to say, the Vinh modified TK75vn also dedomed U3 emitters beats the LD75Cvn, mainly due to the reflectors.

Last edited: