Samsung Exits LED Fixed Lighting Business

slebans

Enlightened
This is the third time in as many weeks where I have read that Samsung is getting out of the LED Luminaire business. So as of now, we have Osram and Philips splitting off their Lighting divisions as separate public companies. Cree is facing profitability issues because its low margin bulb business is growing too fast while their high margin LED component/chip business is decreasing.

I would bet the major shakeups in the marketplace are just beginning. Will we see a government backed Chinese company buy one of the major lighting companies?

Samsung Exits Global LED Luminaire Market.
http://www.ledinside.com/news/2014/10/samsung_exits_global_led_luminaire_market

SNIP
Intense market competition among LED lighting manufacturers, and Chinese manufacturers low-pricing strategies were the main reason behind Samsung's decision to exit the LED luminaire market, the report quoted a source from Samsung. The company will be turning its focus and resources to the LED lighting component.

SemiMan

Banned
Can't imagine who. Most are not up to the task of running a global business.

SemiMan

Banned
Even the Chinese lighting companies are having profitability issues. HK show is almost devoid of big players this year. Row after row of me too crap. Some nice industrial design showing up.