Is this battery dangerous?

Roger Ranger

Enlightened
I just received 4 new Olight and Efest RCR123's. Before charging, I always check the voltage. All of the Efest cells were 3.78-3.79v. Two of the Olights were 3.82 v but one measured 3.26v and the other was 2.62v. I'm not too worried about the 3.26v cell, although the excessive drain may indicate a problem. However, the 2.62 volt cell gives me pause. Should I send it back?

CMAG

Enlightened
I would send it back. I would not charge a cell below 3v new cells should be around 3.8v so I would also send the 3.26v cell back also

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
I would send it back. I would not charge a cell below 3v new cells should be around 3.8v so I would also send the 3.26v cell back also
I second this. I have gone quite low charging laptop rips myself—although not that low—but that is not acceptable for a new cell. Are you planning to use any of these cells in series?

Roger Ranger

Enlightened
I second this. I have gone quite low charging laptop rips myself—although not that low—but that is not acceptable for a new cell. Are you planning to use any of these cells in series?

No, they are to be used in single cell lights. I've decided to make lemonade and test all four Olight batteries to see if there is any difference in performance. Working outside in the open, I've charged all four cells. They all took a charge, and the cell at 2.62v took longer to charge, as expected. Working outside, I'll cycle these cells and see what happens. I'm really curious, as I have only run into truly "bad" batteries once.

Roger Ranger

Enlightened
What does the instruction sheet say?

No instruction sheet, came in 4 single blister(?) packs. Olight 3.7v/650mAh/2.4Wh RCR123A "Warning: Risk of fire... Don't' heat it up or get it wet or disassemble. Don't mix with used or other type batteries. Don't let children...".

It could be that the PCB is causing an excessive power drain. I don't know how long these cells have been on the market, but I don't think that the low voltage was from sitting on the shelf. Im going to set all 4 aside a do some comparisons with other cells.

Roger Ranger

Enlightened
Just an update. I charged and discharged all four Olight cells 5 times. On each of the first two charges, the 2.62 volt battery had a lower ending voltage; 4.09, 4.11v. By the end of the 3rd charge, all four cells have the same end of charge voltage, 4.14v. I'm going to let all four cells sit for a month and check voltages.
In the test, I also included one each Nitecore ICR650mAh, AW IMR550 and Efest IMR550. Their end of discharge voltage was in proportion to their Wh ratings.