walking the dog, high output, AA or 18650

davemchine

Newly Enlightened
I like to walk my dog at night and I take my Fenix TK41. I like it because it puts out big light and because it has multiple output levels. Now I'm looking for a second flashlight that my wife could carry. I could go with the TK41 again but I don't want to get in a rut. I would consider a 2x18650 if it had similar features.

Should I buy another TK41?
A different AA?
Or should I jump ship and get an 2x18650?

What models would you recommend?

Daekar

Enlightened
Well if you don't have the charger for the lithium ion you'll have to incorporate that into your cost analysis... but there are a bunch of good 2x18650 lights out there. The TK41 is the highest power AA light I'm aware of. Fenix makes the TK50 and TK35 that are both worth looking at, and Jet beam makes the BC40. Really, if it's going to be your wife's light, she should probably have a say in the ergonomics at the very least. Does she like longer and slimmer lights? Short and wider? Would she rather have a 2xAA light if she doesn't care about absolutely highest max output? Choosing a flashlight is kind of like choosing a concealed carry firearm.... it should be chosen by the person who will be using it. Unless she doesn't care, then it almost doesn't matter.

Poppy

Flashaholic
The TK51 is an interesting light.

For a 2* 18650, the TK35 is well liked by many. It has similar lumen output to your TK41, but doesn't throw as far, so it is more floody. There is also the TK35UE with the MT-G2 LED. It has double the lumen output, with even less throw, being a field flooder, it might be a nice compliment to your more throwy TK41.

Last edited:

Charles L.

Enlightened
Dog walking is another task that, IMHO, is best served by a headlamp. After all, the leash already occupies one hand -- you (or at least I) need the other hand for that evening beverage :) Armytek Wizard Pro or Zebralight H600F will provide hands-free light from <1 to >1000 lumens. You, your wife and your dog will be dazzled.

Last edited:

davemchine

Newly Enlightened
I asked my wife what style of light she preferred and listed off some of the normal criteria and she said...BRIGHT. Well there we have it eh? I like that E41 because it takes AA batteries and I like the idea of a side button that switches from whatever mode it is in to the 1000 lumen mode. When we walk we keep the flashlights on a fairly low lumen but when a car comes nearby we switch it to the highest lumen. On the TK41 it's a matter of cycling through the modes. The E41 might be a better with the instant bright button.

I also like the idea of a flood style light as I don't have one of those. So you are right it might be a good compliment. I'm ok with an 18650 version but I'm wondering if there is a AA light that does a good job of flooding...and is BRIGHT. :) thanks everyone

torchsarecool

Enlightened
May be looking if you could get a diffuser attachment for any of the 4 x AA lights. Fenix sunwayman nitecore etc all do around 1000 lumen compact lights running off AA's. Maybe one of them has a diffuser option.

im pretty sure the eagletac gx25a3 has a kit version with a diffuser option. This is a nice light. I have one myself and its bloody bright for 3 x aa batteries! With the additional diffuser cap youve got 2 very different lights for the price of one.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only concern I would have about AA lights is run time at full power. 1000 lumens is going to take about 10 watts. If you use quality NiMh cells, these are about 2700mAh at 1.25 volts, so you will get a little more than an hour run time with 4 cells. How well Alkalines would perform under that load is suspect, not to mention expensive.

A Pair of Li-Ion 3400mAh 18650's will give you about 2.5 hours at full output. In addition, NiMh cells give little warning of impending shut down. Most lights that use 18650's will warn you as you approach full discharge.

Last edited:

Daekar

Enlightened
The only concern I would have about AA lights is run time at full power. 1000 lumens is going to take about 10 watts. If you use quality NiMh cells, these are about 2700mAh at 1.25 volts, so you will get a little more than an hour run time with 4 cells. How well Alkalines would perform under that load is suspect, not to mention expensive.

A Pair of Li-Ion 3400mAh 18650's will give you about 2.5 hours at full output. In addition, NiMh cells give little warning of impending shut down. Most lights that use 18650's will warn you as you approach full discharge.

This is why I would not purchase these 4xAA superlights... they are just asking too much of the batteries to last very long. The TK41 takes 8xAA and has no problems at all. If you want ~1000 lumens with fewer than 6xAA, it's just not going to last long. If she wants bright and you want something other than another TK41, then jump on the Li-Ion bandwagon. We all do eventually, you might as well do it with spousal approval. :) In your position, I would get a 2x18650 with a similar beam profile to your TK-41, because I know my wife would want a light that can reach just as far as mine. In fact, I'd my best to make sure hers is brighter. Your wifely miles may vary, of course.

davemchine

Newly Enlightened
Since I am not going to use these flashlights as emergency lights and I'm only going to run them on high for a small percentage of the time I think I can accept a relatively low runtime. I swap out the batteries in the TK41 every week already and I can do the same with another flashlight. So which would be superior, the Fenix TK41 or the Cree XM-L2? They seem very similar.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Daeker,
You make a LOT of good points. :thumbsup:

A 18650 has similar capacity to 3-4 AAs, so a 3 cell AA can have similar outputs in lumens, and time as a single 18650. I agree with you though in that I do not particularly care for 3 and 4 cell AA lights. Typically they are in series, and they are only as good as the weakest cell. In a 3 cell light, when the weakest cell is depleted, the light tanks. I don't know what happens with a four cell light.

I agree, when one is looking for 600 lumens or more, that they should switch to 18650 batteries.

It seems to me that you have been married long enough to know that "If Mama ain't happy... nobody's happy!" I wouldn't get into a thrower match with her, I'd just let her have which ever light she prefers.