Olight S20R Baton review (550 lm,XM-L2,18650/2xRCR123A)

viperxp

Enlightened
Greetings.
This review will be dedicated to the brightest of the 2014 renewed Baton series, the S20R.

ibuvJpsmddYINr.jpg
i1CP299YyXbOk.jpg

A New Baton?

Not much new, but very much improved. S20R now can charge batteries using bundled charging dock. The operating button is recessed now, preventing accidental flashlight activation. The button now has a low battery indicator (much prettier than in the old S20 flashlight).

Let's Go

iP87FLWZYbdo1.png
ibjm8frnricnnP.png
ibdAUgp8jwgLdr.png

The flashlight comes in a pretty see-trough box. The flashlight itself and the technical specs are clearly visible. The package has a little secret.

imw1qoIZCXrTi.png
ioZalzHgXAeoN.png

There is a small black box inside with the charging dock, USB cable and adhesive. The flashlight comes with spare o-rings and a decent quality lanyard.

i0Ryn5vm1gp94.png
i2QwVlJYjxhPf.png
ibu752s7hbNelw.png
ibfXG6F9S0b5Jx.png
i33LeUvnWDS2m.png

I think that the charging dock has a very special distinctive design. The dock is the same for all new rechargeable Batons. The magnet in the tail of the flashlight holds the flashlight firm in the charging dock, but the flashlight cannot operate while charging.

i1PYabmMSzNUQ.png
i2eZQS6UfdLHW.png
ibpnKFirzVeHPr.png
iTIqazaaOsvKx.png

There are reasons for success of the Baton series - and you see them in front of you. The quality is great, no faults of any kind were found.

ibcYCpXO8aN2lQ.png
i8GW6dRzE6cGK.png
ip8kFcz5xbXNJ.png

Pay attention to the recessed new button, it is hardly visible but it is there.

ibr4VQNOmH79qC.png

Here is the bundled battery. Olight stated capacity of 2600 mAh, i measured 2622 mAh while discharging at 500 mA.
Low battery voltage warning light came on at 2.8v (I measured the voltage without load). The flashlight discharged an unprotected cell to 2.53v.

i9vvQk0zEZHFd.png
ibfFRycbtAvCga.png

Threads are square cut, well lubricated. The spring is gold plated.

ibnLOxYj7fF1ec.png
ibk9zNHBpigl3O.png
iRmG6mxUaeNfu.png
ibzrGMKSrIe5jq.png

Here is how the tailcap looks like disassembled.

ibjV3KWvPSv49J.png
ib0QIhoKPkRrr2.png

The tint is improved, much less green on any mode. The manual has runtime graph, the step down is there.

Циферки

Flashlight/modeminlowmedturbo
S103555002100
S10R1225402700
S15 Eneloop2685501230
S15 Lithium2695501720
S15R Eneloop040580860
S15R Lithium0405802050
Olight S207326403300
Olight S20R5287403600

All Baton series comparison, old and new. The new S20R is brighter than the old one. No PWM or noises on any mode.

Conclusion

It's nice to see that Olight did not join the lumen race with this light, and improved it's functionality instead. All new rechargeable Batons seem to share the same "head" - just with different mode settings, and step down settings. I am telling it now to help you realize that if you decided to buy a new Baton - make your decision based on size, runtime and batteries availability and not on some dry lumens comparison.

The flashlight was provided by Olight for review.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for reading, hope I assisted you in some way.

Tapis

Enlightened
Thanks for the review! I wish I could have the larger body size of the S20R coupled with the mid level of about 70 lumens of the S15R.

mellowhead

Enlightened
If you connect the flashlight to the base while the base is not plugged in to a USB power supply, will the "extended" USB port be powered by the flashlight? Because that would be epic.

golferguy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review of the Olight Baton S20R. This really helped me make up my mind on what to buy.