On the topic of Philips LED replacements for filament bulbs

eggsalad

Enlightened
I did not want to threadjack the other thread.

According to this page:

http://www.philipsautolighting.com/bulb-lookup.php?make=102&model=2739&year=2005&trim=NULL

Philips offers (and has approved) a Vision LED replacement for the 7440 reversing lights in my 2005 Scion xB.

Hurrah!

They also have a replacement for my CHMSL (921) which is a bulb that has suffered repeated failure over the life of the car, probably from closing the hatch.

Problem is, this chart doesn't offer Philips part numbers. And the only reference I can find for a 7440 replacement is in red LED, which obviously isn't suitable for a reversing light.

So where can I cross-reference actual Philips part numbers for these two lamps?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Don't cheer just yet -- the Philips Vision LED 7440 white LED is not yet available. 7440 red, yes, but no white yet. There are other errors on that page you linked; for example, there is no Vision LED version of 1157NA, but that page says there is. There's also no Vision LED 921 in red, which is what you'd need for the CHMSL (the white X-Treme Vision LED 921 is not suitable or safe for use behind a red lens). I spot-checked some other year/make/model cars on that Philips bulb finder site and found a lot of errors of both kinds -- the site says nonexistent Philips LED bulbs exist, and the site also fails to put a checkmark where applicable and tested-good Philips LED bulbs do exist.

For now, the only exterior LED bulbs that are (potentially) safe, effective, and legal, and are available for your Scion xB, are the Philips Vision LED 7443 red, that is part number 12835REDB2.

Last edited:

eggsalad

Enlightened
Thanks, Virgil, for that useful, but sad news. Hopefully the ones I want will actually exist before the car is no longer mine!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
There are several varieties of this bulb type that are supposed to be released next year, mostly white wedge base bulbs (3157, 7443, etc). You shouldn't have to wait too long.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are several varieties of this bulb type that are supposed to be released next year, mostly white wedge base bulbs (3157, 7443, etc). You shouldn't have to wait too long.

From Philips only, or will Osram also be releasing product?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Osram-Sylvania has released products, but they're very problematic. There's a thread about them here. Detailed description of the Sylvania offering starts at post #19.