First impression on Blackburn Central taillight

mechBgon

Enlightened
Some Blackburn lights came in at the shop I work at. The Central 20 was interesting, it reminds me of my old first-generation RedZone (at a lower power output). It has surface-mounted LEDs with no optics, in a fairly transparent case, so the "beam pattern" is basically omnidirectional. And it has a very strong steel clip like the old RedZone.

Since it's not sensitive to aim, it would be useful to clip onto a bag or helmet. Messenger bags in particular, where the light might end up aimed way upwards.

The output modes are steady HIGH, flashing, or three-blink, as I recall. The flashing frequencies are civilized, not assault-strobe rage inducers. You just push firmly on the lens to switch it. It has some tactile "click" when pushed. They also have a non-USB-rechargeable one that takes a pair of AAs. I didn't take a photo of one yet, but I'll post one if I think of it.

BrianMc

Enlightened
These:

central-100-combo_1_1.jpg

The front is rated 100 lm the rear 20. You need a good sphere to measure the lumens from a 180 degree design. For a reference, the old PB Superflash is 12 lumens full charge but about 8-9 for the meat of the battery voltage. #1 It is a narrow beam light. The Central 20 is a wide angle light so will appear many time less bright from straight behind, but be seen as much brighter at a wider angles. Not enough for day use I suspect (I have 10 X the lumens in my DIY that works well in the day) but with a brighter flashing light, maybe a help for night for some here.

angerdan

Enlightened
Blackburn Central taillight

Can you post an image of the taillight powered on?
And has it really 180°?

Latest posts