The Truth about Blue Light and Cancer

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never put much thought into it. I have one of those cheap screw in bulbs with the remote. You can choose millions of colors. I like to leave the Red or Blue on in the evenings are "mood" lighting. I put some V10 glow paint on the remote the blue charges it and I can always find the remote.
I wasn't too worried about the cancer. But I always liked the red most, so I think I will keep it there. Of course the light is not direct, bouncing off the lamp shade.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
So basically, if someone screams "LED Streetlights are giving you cancer" in twitter, typed from their smartphone at 11pm, then they're either scaremongers or idiots.

consitter

Newly Enlightened
Most people that do poop like that are scaremongers or idiots. I tend to Snopes everything like that I read.

My wife will come running through the house saying "Did you hear this or that??" The first words out of my mouth are "Snopes it." 99.9% of the time, it's a hoax.

I like spoiling her fun. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
I have a strong suspicion that all the negative effects of "blue light" we are often warned about are actually caused by the shorter wavelengths <470nm, not necessarily all wavelengths of blue light.

Hi consitter,

:welcome:........that type of launguage is discouraged here.

Everytime me my mom sends me disinformation via an e mail, I reply with a link refuting it.
l@@K it up before sending it on, Mom! :sigh:

~ Chance

Greta

Flashaholic
Hi consitter,

:welcome:........that type of launguage is discouraged here.

Yes... please edit... :tsk:

Everytime me my mom sends me disinformation via an e mail, I reply with a link refuting it.
l@@K it up before sending it on, Mom! :sigh:

~ Chance

I'm not allowed to tell my Mom "Google it" anymore... she gets REALLY mad at me! :duck: I told her that it's either her or me and seeing as how SHE is the one claiming it, she should be the one to google it. She didn't buy that... :crazy:

I'm not allowed to tell my Mom "Google it" anymore... she gets REALLY mad at me! :duck: I told her that it's either her or me and seeing as how SHE is the one claiming it, she should be the one to google it. She didn't buy that... :crazy:

Just for giggles, send her the Norman Rockwell, "Now son, do you know what you did wrong?" poster.

~ Chance :devil:

Greta

Flashaholic
Oh God.. She would stroke out! LOL!

I used the CandlePowerForums iPhone App to post this!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Considering that mercury vapor streetlights put out way more blue light and even some UVA light, it's silly to think that LEDs are going to be a greater threat.

And for those scare mongers, why haven't they been freaking out over moonlight, which is blue? :rolleyes:

inetdog

Enlightened
Considering that mercury vapor streetlights put out way more blue light and even some UVA light, it's silly to think that LEDs are going to be a greater threat.

And for those scare mongers, why haven't they been freaking out over moonlight, which is blue? :rolleyes:
It is not bright enough. Just like moonlight mode is great for night use when you do not want to stay awake.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

Until streetlights became common, moonlight was actually greenish in color. My theory (Wild guess) is that since early streetlights were flames, and modern ones are orange, we are viewing a 4000K source next to an orange one. Of course it'll look yellow! Spectrographically, the moon is a reflector of sunlight. Unless the moon itself were colored, we would expect a pretty-similar SPD. In fact, we do get a bit of tinting, but the difference is less than that between a warm neutral and a cool warm LED.

LED nuts writing about this and Photo nuts on the same

Moonlight has a lower CCT (Warmer, redder color) than sunlight. The problem is, we usually see moonlight right next to orange Sodium-Vapor streetlamps or flames.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The blue-ish tint that the moon appears to have is a relative thing of course. My point was simply that the moon appears to our eyes to be a least as blue as current generation white LED streetlights, which seem to be in the 5000k-6000k range. I'm not going to lose any sleep over this, figuratively or literally.