Solarforce S2200 vs Thrunite TN30?

hhmoore

Newly Enlightened
The S2200 recently caught my attention, and I've been looking for info on how it compares to the TN30 in practical function. I'm relatively new to lights; so the most of the technical stuff is over my head. Anybody got experience with both and willing to share your thoughts?

varaldarade

Newly Enlightened
I own the S2200 but have no experience with the TN30. I use the S2200 for camping in the middle of no where in Canada. Its as bright as a headlight and I use it as a security light at night to scope out potential grizzly bears and cougars from my rooftop tent on my Land Cruiser if I hear noises at night or need to go down the ladder to go to the can. It is very well built and absurdly bright. I think it is a steal at the price solarforcesales sells it for. I always have a backup and find the SF M35 thrower very good as well. Seems like you can get them both for the price of the TN30. It is a battery hog, suggest 18650s and not CR123s for cost reasons.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the things you need to add in your post is what you will be using the light for. Is it for general home duties? A light to put in your glovebox? Law Enforcement/Military? Camping? Caving? Does it need specific accessories like filters, weapon mounts etc...

The S2200 and TN30 are both very good lights manufactured to high standards. Its like trying to ask if Lexus is better than Infiniti or vice versa. Can't go wrong with either really. Just boils down to personal taste and application.

The S2200 is significantly larger and heavier than the TN30, so if you are going to be carrying the flashlight around, bear that in mind. Both are bright as heck for almost any practical usage, I doubt your eyes can tell the difference between 2200lumens vs 2780 lumens. The S2200 offers 3 modes + strobe, the TN30 offers 6 modes + strobe. So if you like varying degrees of brightness, the TN30 is the way to go. I also reckon Thrunite finishes its products to a higher standard than Solarforce when I compare my S2200 to my TN32. Most users outdoors very much prefer the neutral white tint on the MT-G2 emitter in the S2200 to the cool white XM-L U2 in the TN30 to increase colour rendition and contrast especially in dense/wet vegetation and misty/foggy conditions.

**Update: I just found out the TN30 also comes in a XM-L2 T6 Neutral White version which also boasts 2780lumens of output. I guess now its even worse trying to split the hair that has already been split!**

I reckon the Acebeam(Supbeam) K40M is the perfect hybrid between the S2200 and the TN30: it uses the same MT-G2 as the S2200 and the same control functions as the TN30 while boasting 3000lumens! The K40M is somewhere between the S2200 and TN30 in terms of size and weight! Perhaps you might be happier with the K40M than the S2200 or the TN30?

Last edited: