Found a failed 18650...

jk037

Newly Enlightened
Interesting find today when I went to charge a pair of 18650s that have sat unused for a few months:

Cheap unprotected blue Ultrafires that have had very little use over the 18 months or so I've had them (they were supplied with a Trustfire 3T6 but I use protected cells in that due to it taking 2 in series).

One cell is visibly swollen, and leaking electrolyte from the ends of the wrapper. The wrapper itself feels pressurised, and the voltage measures 0.4v.

Clearly it's shafted, I'm not going to risk trying to charge it! But I'm wondering
(a) How to dispose of it safely. Currently it's in a large, strong toolbox in the garage just in case it pops.
(b) How a previously healthy battery can get into this state without use. Slowly evolving internal short, perhaps?

Last edited:

jimbo231

Enlightened
This is worrying me..... what cells and light did you have and why do you think that happened to your light? I am very careful charging and buying good protected cells but only so much is in my control.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Hi there, a- council run recycling centres accept lithium batteries so re-cycle there or even places like camera shops,these may have bins etc. b- many factors from exposure to moisture in the air with poor quality metals causing rust. The actual cells are known for very bad QC so at best they are a 50/50 gamble. Some *****fire cells are fine,issue free and perform fine,others not so.........usually exaggerated mah and often come in at well under 2000mah. In short the chances are they are rejects,some dont even have 18650 cells inside the wrap,from sand to ............well anything could be inside and has been found when opened up(not advised without protective measures).

To avoid this,buy from reputable shops,ideally local(or in country) as in UK there are a good few shops,lots of vape(ecig) shops too that sell panasonic and other IMR cells be it over the internet or actual local vape shop.

Batteries are only 1/2 the problem,a good charger is just as important or risks of over charging........Decent chargers dont cost much,lots of Xtar options from just £6 or so,also Nitecore too:)

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast