Advice on light for use when Hunting. 300lumen range

magulko

Newly Enlightened
Newbie here. Lots of info, and I cannot decide. What I have: Princeton Tec dive light, mini-mag light converted to a green led bulb, and a 2X D Mag Lite (heavy). While out bow hunting last week, my buddie had a Diehard 41-6005 (300 lumen, 6x AAA battery) light. Wow, that was illuminating and light. (Can you tell I haven't looked at lites in awhile?). any ways, I am on a limited budget, not even real sure what to spend. I would like something quality wise, but not to pricy. 300 luman (reach out to 200m or so), light, and decent run time. some of my bow hunting takes me up a river 45min. or so, so something with decent light is needed on the way back in the dark. I have seen some of the Fenex lights, but other than that, I do not have any experiance. Can you convert a Diehard to the newer, rechargable batteries? Thanks for any input.

K31Scout

Newly Enlightened
I bow hunt, rifle and shotgun and always have 2 lights. My main light is a headlamp to free both my hands while walking. For reaching out there I have a Solarforce M3 head from customlights.com with a red emitter for coyotes that goes to 175 yards.

If you want to keep it simple look at a Thrunite TN12.

MoBait

Newly Enlightened
Like K31Scout, I also have two lights in the field. A D25C in a Fenix Headlamp adapter, and a Solarforce L2M with a P60 drop-in from Vinh Nguyen (P60vn3). The P60vn3 throws enough light at 100m to spot antlers on a deer, at 200m, you can still spot deer but cannot determine sex.

For comparison, according to my lux meter app (poor accuracy but good precision), my Fenix PD35 2014 edition comes hits around 18,000 lux at 1 meter. The P60vn3 hits 61,000 lux.

magulko

Newly Enlightened
OK, so i have started looking at the solar force line. Can anyone tell me the difference between the L2p and the L2? Also, if I wanted to run 2 18650 batteries, what do u need to do to the body, get an extension? I was thinking if the Lc-xml2 4 mode drop in. Thanks

MoBait

Newly Enlightened
OK, so i have started looking at the solar force line. Can anyone tell me the difference between the L2p and the L2? Also, if I wanted to run 2 18650 batteries, what do u need to do to the body, get an extension? I was thinking if the Lc-xml2 4 mode drop in. Thanks

The only difference I could find between the L2 and L2P is anodizing. L2 has type 2, L2P has type 3. And yes, all you need is an 18650 extension to run 2x18650. Always make sure your power supply isn't exceeding the LED's input voltage range.

Bob Damon

Enlightened
The Thrunite mentioned by K31Scout is a great, inexpensive option and sold by Amazon.
the TN12 uses a 18650 battery, so you will need a couple batteries and a charger.
There are some AA lights that are way better than the Diehard, look at Nitecore EA41 and Sunwayman D40A. You just need 4 AA for either, with rechargeable batteries the best option.

magulko

Newly Enlightened
So, after surfing the web, searching thru here, ect..... I ordered a Solarforce L2P, and the LC-XPL V3 mode 4 drop in this morning. I got the nitecore digicarger, and 2 18650 batteries last week. This looks like it could get adictive. My wife will have something to say about that at some point. :duh2:

anyways, this should be fun. Can't wait to get it in, and give it a try, maybe some late season bowhunting, with snow on the ground, that will be fun.