SureFire UDR Dominator - Review, Photos and discussion

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well after several years of watching, waiting, and wishing it appears that the SureFire Dominator has finally become a reality outside of trade shows! It will probably be another week or so before I can wrap up a full review with runtime information, beamshots, etc. but, for the time being, I can share some photos and info.

DSCF2834.jpg

The finished product looks pretty much like what was shown at the 2014 SHOT Show with the big Luminus CBT-90 emitter pumping out 2,400 lumens and more than 200,000 candela. An 11 position selector ring allows the selection of 9 distinct output modes, a strobe mode, and an OFF position. A trio of buttons on the body allow the user to select constant-on operation (at the level selected by the selector ring), momentary operation, and constant-on maximum output (regardless of selector ring position).

The Dominator comes with a universal AC charger, 12VDC car charger, rechargeable battery, backup primary battery carrier, rubber tail and bezel guards, lanyard/sling ring, nylon shoulder sling, a dozen SureFire CR123 primary batteries, and the usual paperwork.

DSCF2833.jpg

The included Li-Ion rechargeable battery pack is rated at 7.5V and 2800mAh and is enclosed in an anodized aluminum casing. The backup primary battery carrier holds 12 CR123s and is wired in a ~12V configuration. All electrical contacts are at the head.

DSCF2851.jpg

The listed output specs are 14 lumens in the lowest mode, 185 lumens in "medium" and the full 2400 lumens in the highest output mode. The remaining modes are spaced between these levels at a roughly 2:1 ratio.

DSCF2822.jpg

Needless to say, this is a large light. Although I have never handled a Medieval mace, I have to think it would have felt something like this. The huge head is not just for show and accounts for a substantial portion of the light's 2.4 lb weight. It makes the M6LT look downright puny in comparison!

DSCF2806.jpg

I would consider the included sling a must-have accessory if carrying the Dominator for an extended length of time!

DSCF0435-800x600.jpg
That's all for now. I will update this thread as the review progresses :twothumbs

Last edited:

PocketRocket

Newly Enlightened
Re: SureFire UDR Dominator - Photos, discussion, and review in progress

*Poof*

Last edited:

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you kindly for this thread! Are you able to provide an extra picture or two showing the emitter and reflector up close?

My pictures of the reflector didn't come out very good. It is like photographing a huge mirror so most of them just showed reflections of me, my camera, and all the junk on my table :shrug: I will take some better ones in a day or two.

DSCF2836.jpg

Looks similar to the prototype from 2011 as shown here; http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?333129-UDR-Dominator-a-new-throw-king

And I have to say that gap between the emitter and reflector has always bugged me a little.

Cheers!

The older prototype used a different emitter but, you are correct, the general design is about the same. The gap is still there although they have cleaned it up a little bit. I think it's kinda cool to see an emitter bolted into place like this.

DSCF2827.jpg

Great!
But li-ion battery pack is too bad!

Anyway please upload more review.

Thanks
Kim.

I will but I have a few other things to take care of over the next couple of days. It will be this weekend before I can do most of the work on this review.

PocketRocket

Newly Enlightened

*Poof*

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast

The older prototype used a different emitter but, you are correct, the general design is about the same. The gap is still there although they have cleaned it up a little bit. I think it's kinda cool to see an emitter bolted into place like this.

DSCF2827.jpg
Looks like a Luminus CBT-90. :thumbsup:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

That bolted-down emitter pic is quite nice. That makes it look tough.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for posting, 880. Interesting that they've gone for the domeless CBT-90 instead of the domed CST-90 in the prototype at shot show. The CBT-90 gives you more throw but with reduced output and efficiency.

Any chance of getting 6 x 17670 or 16650 in the CR123 holder? This might be an acceptable configuration if the holder is wired for 4s3p CR123 cells.

Last edited:

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast

the battery pack seems rather lack luster. seems like youd get much better performance out of the "back up" cr123 battery pack. originally I figured that the rechagable pack had significantly less run time because it probably help better regulation, now im not so sure.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

. . . Any chance of getting 6 x 17670 or 16650 in the CR123 holder? This might be an acceptable configuration if the holder is wired for 4s3p CR123 cells.

Great minds think alike :twothumbs

I can't confirm or deny anything but I did order a bunch of 16650s last night!

Any idea on beam distance?

Thanks

The math works out to about 930 meters per the ANSI standard but, of course, actual effective range will be less.

Kaban

Newly Enlightened

So how much is the actual price going to be? I know SF always inflated the heck out of prices on their site. Will it be under $1000?

bulbmogul

Enlightened

Are they on the market yet forsale ad if so, where can one be purchased..? :)

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast

So how much is the actual price going to be? I know SF always inflated the heck out of prices on their site. Will it be under $1000?

A few months ago I would have expected retailers to be listing it at $960. Now that it looks like SureFire has changed their policy regarding advertised prices it may be more like $1233. That being said, the actual price will be whatever you can work out with a seller. As far as I know, they can sell it at any price they want.

Are they on the market yet forsale ad if so, where can one be purchased..? :)

Haven't seen anywhere that says they have them on hand yet but hopefully it will be soon.

eff

Enlightened

The UDR specs look promising. If anyone (who can afford the UDR) could review this light, I'd be really grateful :D
However I'm wondering how they ended up with only 2800 mah, with a rechargeable battery of that size. I wonder how long the UDR will last on turbo mode with it.
Because there's no way, I'll be running that kind of light with 12 CR123! :D

kj2

Flashaholic

However I'm wondering how they ended up with only 2800 mah, with a rechargeable battery of that size. I wonder how long the UDR will last on turbo mode with it.
Me too.