Specification Change for Maglite XL50?

Newly Enlightened
Hi CPF,

New member here. Might not be around and/or contributing much, because I wouldn't consider myself a flashlight aficionado. However, I enjoy "lurking" and reading up on all things technical by people who obviously have a real interest in such things.

Anyway, I ordered a few XL series lights from Amazon.com, specifically an XL200 and an XL50. I did a lot of research before buying (notably this forum, and led-resource.com), and discovered the XL50 has gradually increased in output: from 104 to 139. Obviously, because more is better, I was hoping to get the updated 139 model. I was surprised when I opened the box and saw this:

xl50_200l.jpg

LED module shot:

xl50_200l_led.jpg

Looks like yet another change in specification. Does anyone know when this happened? I've done a quick search, and can't find any information about it.

Thanks guys.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF. :welcome:. You are already sounding like one of us, a flashaholic. Members will probably pipe up re changes to the XL50, though changes happen without notice very often. Stay tuned.

Bill

maglite mike

Enlightened
Wow! Nice to see this. that's a big upgrade. The official maglite website is always 6 months behind.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
200 lumens, 12000cd, sounds like an XP-E2 led, which would make sense for maglite. But, the 6+ hour runtime sounds like an XP-G2 even with counting the direct drive like pattern.
Sounds like a great light for my storm box though.

Newly Enlightened
OK...

Had a quick play, and the 50 is definitely brighter (obviously). The hotspot isn't as sharp as the 200, but it's a little tighter and more concentrated. The 50's colour has a very slight purplish tinge to it, compared to the 200's relatively clean white.

Strangely, both my 50 and 200 have relatively loose LED modules. The modules are a loose fit in the bodies and can be rattled around and rotated within the body when disassembled. Once fully assembled, the rattling quietens down substantially, but there's still something loose; sounds almost like a ball bearing. There is definitely something moving around within the LED modules/assemblies (it's definitely not the battery carriers, reflector/lens assembly, or the switches/tail caps). I've tried to find examples of rattling XL's, but can't find a single example other than a few vague comments here and there.

I have no experience with the XL series, so I have no idea if this rattling is normal. My last light was a Maglite 4D incandescent, so I'm used to hearing things rattling and moving around (battery cells and the switch), but expected silence from the XL's. Can anyone confirm whether this rattling is normal or not? I've emailed Mag, but won't get a reply from them for a few days at the earliest.

Other than the rattling "problem", I'm quite impressed with the XL's.