Dog's eye sight.

m_s_b

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

If i use a 2000L+ torch while I'm out walking the dog, and accidentally manage to shine it into his eyes do risk damaging his sight?

Hopefully a purely hypothetical question!

cheers

martin

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only repeated flashing would be harmful but once might trash its night vision for a bit. Not something you want to do intentionally.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
A accidental 5000L + blast just makes my dog turn her head or freeze. They may just stand there for a second until they get their night vision back. I try not to do it, but she runs crazy sometimes.

MidnightDistortions

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was always told that it was dangerous to shine LED lights in humans, could destroy something in the eye. It almost feels like you are holding a gun and need to point down to avoid shining the light in someone's eyes. I would definitely be careful though. Think about regular incandescent lights (that are probably no higher then 50-100 lumens) can be too bright for people as well and then magnify that with a powerful LED. I shine an incandescent light on my cat sometimes, she just blinks and looks away from it.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a recent thread that has a similar subject, the answer is the same.

Do not shine lights in any animals eyes, unless its for self preservation.

Any eyeball regadless of the owner can be damaged by light. This is true for the 96% of animals that have them. 2000 Lumens? If you start smelling burning dog hair you might consider a lower output.

:duh2: