Cree 4Flow first impressions with photos

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Decided to replace the aging CFL's in the downstairs half bath with some of the Cree 4Flow bulbs. At the same time, I wanted to alter the color in that room a little from displeasing 2700K CFL's to something north of 3000K, so I installed a pair of 40W equivalent 2700's and a single 5000, which should result in a ~3467K color temperature simply averaging the sum of the colors.

These new 4Flow bulbs are well-packaged - the tear here indicator doesn't lie and the side strips off accurately making for an easy open. They also have a mass and balance similar to an incandescent bulb - no heatsink mass to have to think about when handling the bulb.

"Action" photos
IMG_20141116_190616475_zpsqcpjtu3o.jpg

The fixture with the bulbs installed - exposure makes it hard to discern the color differences

IMG_20141116_190603948_zpshs6yeexr.jpg

This exposure somewhat exaggerates the tint differences

IMG_20141116_190542960_zpsdxypjdhu.jpg

From below.

2700K detail and 5000K detail if you're so inclined, with prominent flicker banding

Control photos:
As usual whenever I do a review, I am use something colorful that I have on hand (last few times I used A Day With Wilbur Robinson, but I couldn't immediately locate it this time).

IMG_20141116_184730772_zpsimyll1dr.jpg

Original 2700K CFL's

IMG_20141116_185053072_zpszcik6kf5.jpg

Cree LED's

Yeah yeah, the place could use some cleaning up...

Color rendition is obviously also going to depend on camera settings. My smartphone's camera app has all of one readily-accessable color control - HDR (which I disabled). Otherwise, the color is pretty representative of how I saw it. Rendering is more balanced than the two generic and one Philips 2700K CFL's managed, but that's no huge feat.

Output wise, the 40W equivalent LED's fare worse than the 60W equivalent CFL's they replaced - small surprise. The reduced lumen output is aggravated by the dark wallpaper that absorbs light. Suspect I'll manage since it's a very small room and I spend little time in there.

That fixture has eaten a few CFL's - probably due to short-cycling. Since it's used infrequently and for brief periods of time I'm hoping that the Cree's outlast the fixture.

brickbat

Enlightened
Ha - interesting that you pointed out the 'tear here' feature. I damn near busted one of the earlier Cree lamps getting it out of the stupid blister pack. I picked up a couple of the 60W new Crees at HD today ($7.97 here). All in all, not exciting. But not exciting in a good way, I guess. These things really do imitate incandescent.

And, I'm surprised Cree isn't playing this up, but the package says "Assembled in the USA".

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Ha - interesting that you pointed out the 'tear here' feature. I damn near busted one of the earlier Cree lamps getting it out of the stupid blister pack. I picked up a couple of the 60W new Crees at HD today ($7.97 here). All in all, not exciting. But not exciting in a good way, I guess. These things really do imitate incandescent.
I think I broke out the tin snips to open the last set of, uhm, classic Crees I bought. When the dome is made of glass and the device is imbalanced, caution is warranted.

I can't complain about the color vs the classic Cree bulbs. Don't have any 40W equivalent to compare output against.

And, I'm surprised Cree isn't playing this up, but the package says "Assembled in the USA".
Yeah, they're surprisingly quiet on that front. After putting it more front and center on the classic bulb promo material, they've simply reduced it to a subtle-yet prominent stars and stripes on their labeling.

It's worth pointing out the the vents in these things are extremely generous - like 3/16" or ~4.75mm. While there is potential for some dust infiltration, it will take some stubborn dust to clog the vents.

Qship1996

Enlightened
"It's worth pointing out the the vents in these things are extremely generous - like 3/16" or ~4.75mm. While there is potential for some dust infiltration, it will take some stubborn dust to clog the vents."

I am also concerned of the amount of {dead} bugs that will collect in these,especially when used in outdoor fixtures.

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
Interesting thought. I had some bugs dy in my enclosed CFL, before I figured that I better plug the unused cable hole of the case at the far end.

With the 4Flow mounted horizontally outside, I can see lots of bugs dying in there...

brickbat

Enlightened
Interesting thought. I had some bugs dy in my enclosed CFL, before I figured that I better plug the unused cable hole of the case at the far end.

With the 4Flow mounted horizontally outside, I can see lots of bugs dying in there...

Do they even sell Cree LED lamps in Germany?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
With what amount to 12 points of emission (3 bulbs with 4 partitions) and two different light colors, shadows directly below the fixtures are multiple in number and have distinct tints.

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
Do they even sell Cree LED lamps in Germany?
I don't know why, but they don't.
Our political leaders swear us to using alternative energy and stop wasting electricity with a determination last seen when world domination was the objective, but when I want to see fancy Cree or Philips LED lights, I have to look at the images posted here...:ironic:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I don't know why, but they don't.
Our political leaders swear us to using alternative energy and stop wasting electricity with a determination last seen when world domination was the objective, but when I want to see fancy Cree or Philips LED lights, I have to look at the images posted here...:ironic:

I don't know about Philips, but I don't think that Cree has released any of their newer products in 230V.

I did get a good laugh at the image of your political leaders' "determination", however.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Bought 4 more (2x each 2700 and 5000) for another bathroom with failing CFL's and the quality of lighting seems much improved in addition to better matching the 4000K bulb in the adjacent hallway.