Modding ARC LSH Kroll switch for high / low beam

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Hi folks,

I want my new Arc LSH-P to have a low power mode for close up work. I was able to invoke moon mode by simply putting a 17 ohm resistor between the battery (123a) and the case. Total draw is 30 milliamps at 3 volts with the resistor in place. A 1/4 watt resistor is sufficient.

I'm having trouble integrating the resistor into the switch without losing either the latching capability or the full power mode. I can make a momentary contact low beam by drilling a hole in the switch for running a wire from the battery through the resistor and back to a wire that only touches the side spring when the resistor is pressed down. A piece of two-sided foam tape under the body of the resistor acts as a spring.

Here's what I have so far....

kroll_mod_1.jpg

The resistor fits between the krolls vanes when the rubber cap is re-attached.

I hollowed out the post that the side spring sits on. I bent the end of the side spring to make it enter the hollowed out area.

While this works, I'm not real happy with it. It's too touchy and I have to remember which side of the tailcap has the mod.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Daniel

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Re: Modding ARC LSH Kroll switch for high / low b

Yes, The resistor can live in a hole in the vane. I've left it where it is so it's easier to find. The metal post that is soldered to the resistor is spring steel. It moves up and down like a plunger.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened

A better solution is to put the resistor in the bezel side (ie, on the positive contact) and leave the switch alone---twist to change the brightness, and click for on/off.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

Hmmmm. I'm envisioning a wafer that sits between the positive terminal and the contacts on the electronics.

The wafer is comprised of two thin metal plates with a thin washer between the two sides. A resistor connects the two plates. The resistor sits on the same side as the battery.

When the battery pack tightens down the metal plates bend, causing the two plates to touch and giving full power beam...

It just might work.

Daniel

gadget_lover

Flashaholic