Question how does the Malkoff Hound Dog V3 compare to Elzetta Charlie C133

gothed

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

Comparing the Malkoff Hound Dog V3 vs. Elzetta Charlie C133:

1. Which is more durable?
2. Which has more throw?
3. Which has better regulation on CR123 primaries?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Title edited for clarity, is sounded as if you had done the comparison.

Norm

gothed

Newly Enlightened
Check out Jim's awesome reviews for runtime graphs of both, as well as beamshots.
http://flashlightguide.com/2014/04/review-malkoff-hound-dog-v3/
http://flashlightguide.com/2013/10/review-elzetta-high-output-flashlights/

I think any difference in durability is trivial. They are both built like tanks and backed up by a lifetime warranty.

Thanks. I have read both of those reviews. I guess I am not skilled enough to compare beam-shots if they are not side by side. Am I right to conclude that the hound-dog has more throw?

It is interesting that you say they are built equally strong, the Elzetta carries twice the price tag. Would you say the price of the Elzetta is artificially inflated compared to the hound-dog or is there something obvious that I am missing that gives the justifies the Elzetta's price? I don't mind paying for quality, but I would hate to pay for nothing.

Referring specifically to the review of the malkoff you linked: what worries me is that it seems to perform poorly on primaries. The Elzetta seems to perform longer at full brightness and then tapers off instead of dropping sharply like the hound-dog. Since I know very little about flashlights I thought I would see how people feel about these lights, hopefully from someone who owns or has handled both.

Thanks.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the Malkoff Hounddog, the $110 price is just for the head. You will need to buy the body/tailcap combo which is around $45-$60 dollars. Unless there is a sale, this will bring the Malkoff Hounddog price tag to around $155-$170 + shipping.

With that said, if you browse the marketplace every so often you will find a great deal on a complete HoundDog V3 light.

gothed

Newly Enlightened
For the Malkoff Hounddog, the $110 price is just for the head. You will need to buy the body/tailcap combo which is around $45-$60 dollars. Unless there is a sale, this will bring the Malkoff Hounddog price tag to around $155-$170 + shipping.

With that said, if you browse the marketplace every so often you will find a great deal on a complete HoundDog V3 light.

Thank you. I completely missed that. This makes the choice much easier.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
As reported on the Malkoff thread recently, per a lux measurement done by an owner of both, the Hound Dogs all out-throw the Charlie by quite a wide margin.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Deciding between these two lights is not an easy task, as each one has definite strengths over the other. I'm the user that took lux measurements of both, and have been using them as long as they've been available.

The Elzetta provides longer run times from primaries.
Malkoff bodies accept 18 mm cells, and the MD4 body accepts two 18650 cells for long guilt-free run times.
The Elzetta's head is considerably smaller in diameter, and the overall light length is shorter (than the Malkoff on an MD3 body).
The Malkoff throws further.
The Elzetta creates a very nice light pattern without a hard outside edge.
The Malkoff's high/low operation resides in the head, which makes one handed mode switching easier with an underhand grip.
The Elzetta's high/low operation resides in the tailcap, which makes one handed mode switching easier with an overhand grip.
The Malkoff's current Hound Dog price is quite reasonable.
The Elzetta has some of the finest machining and anodizing of any tactical light I've experienced.
Elzetta offers high/strobe, high only clicky, and high only rotary (like a Surefire Z41) tailcap options.

Both will shrug off any abuse they are likely to receive.

The easiest solution is to get one of each.

Last edited:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a complete Hound Dog with body and tailcap for $100 shipped on the cpfmarketplate right now. It is not new, but for that price it's hard to pass up.

gothed

Newly Enlightened
Deciding between these two lights is not an easy task, as each one has definite strengths over the other. I'm the user that took lux measurements of both, and have been using them as long as they've been available.

The Elzetta provides longer run times from primaries.
Malkoff bodies accept 18 mm cells, and the MD4 body accepts two 18650 cells for long guilt-free run times.
The Elzetta's head is considerably smaller in diameter, and the overall light length is shorter (than the Malkoff on an MD3 body).
The Malkoff throws further.
The Elzetta creates a very nice light pattern without a hard outside edge.
The Malkoff's high/low operation resides in the head, which makes one handed mode switching easier with an underhand grip.
The Elzetta's high/low operation resides in the tailcap, which makes one handed mode switching easier with an overhand grip.
The Malkoff's current Hound Dog price is quite reasonable.
The Elzetta has some of the finest machining and anodizing of any tactical light I've experienced.
Elzetta offers high/strobe, high only clicky, and high only rotary (like a Surefire Z41) tailcap options.

Both will shrug off any abuse they are likely to receive.

The easiest solution is to get one of each.

Thank you Grizzman. I think I will get the Elzetta first. I think I will like it allot, but it won't satisfy my want for a decent thrower. So I will end up getting the Hound Dog as well.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the choice is between these options, a person really can't go wrong.

I forgot to add that the Elzetta also offers the option of the flood optic.

My primary SHTF nightstand light is a Charlie with AVS flood head, driven by primaries. It really lights up the house. Previously, it was a Bravo, with AVS flood head, but Amazon allowed me to pick up the Charlie for a ridiculous price.

My primary SHTF outdoor light is a Charlie with AVS spot head, also driven by primaries.

The real benefit to the Malkoff is the entire Malkoff ecosystem.....MD2 heads with varied low, mid and high voltage engines, Hound Dog heads, Wildcat heads, MD2,3, and 4 bodies, etc.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Elzetta ZFL-M60 3-cell model with Hi/Lo tailcap. It is an excellent light in the tactical category. Mine is an original model which included the Malkoff M60 drop-in module, which all the original Elzettas had.

I also have had all the Hound Dog lights except the new XPL model. It is also an excellent light, and I think it is just as 'bombproof' as the Elzetta, except it has a glass lens, where my Elzetta has the polymer optic of the M60.

In my case, both of these lights are actually Malkoff lights, in the 'light' part. They just have different bodies and fifferent Malkoff light engines.

IMO, the pros and cons are that the Elzetta needs to be bored to take 18xxx size cells, and the HD can accept 18xxx cells standard. Using primary cells gets expensive, and using 16xxx cells sacrifices a lot of run time. The Elzetta has a slightly smaller head, so it might be a little more pocketable, but it doesn't throw as far.

It's a tough choice, but if I had to grab only one of them in an emergency, I'd take the Hound Dog. I have a charger in my car, and it is the more capable light, overall, IMO.
My 2 cents.

Last edited: