Question - High CRI LEDs for vanity mirrors

akatsuki

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone!

I am in the process of replacing the interior LEDs in my car. I've found most off the shelf solutions satisfactory with the exception of bulbs for the vanity mirror lights. I can't find anyone who is publishing CRIs for their LEDs, and I would love to find an LED with a really high LED, maybe an optic to focus light so that there isn't a lot of spill to the sides (e.g., when the passenger opens their vanity mirror, the light would ideally be contained to them, look very much like sunlight, etc.).

Ideally this solution will fit in the stock #74 and #194 bulb sockets for my two cars and not throw errors of any sort (no idea if vanity bulbs are CANBUS).

So, I'd imagine I will have to build these lights. Any suggestions on optics, LEDs, simple v-regs, etc? Perhaps even throwing in a fade in and fade out if it can all fit...

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
It is relatively rare to find a CRI better than low 80s for white LEDs. There are very high CRI LEDs such as the ones Soraa uses in their MR16s, but it's tough to find them in discrete form. What is it you're doing in the car that necessitates extremely high CRI? You might check and see if you can find a source for the Philips 127994000KX2 , which is a spherical-output 4000K drop-in replacement for W5W (and 194, 168, etc). Of course "4000K" doesn't tell us anything about the CRI, but if the idea is to avoid making faces in the vanity mirror look zombie-blue, then the warmer 4000K white will do a better job than the colder 6000K white.