Recommend a light for everyday use that you can attach to a belt

Jas29

Newly Enlightened
This flashlight isn't for me it's for my dad. It's going to be his Christmas present so it needs to be available for purchase and not something that is coming out.

He will be using it to inspect his truck and trailer every night, right now he is using a mini maglite

Link deleted as per the banner at the top of the page - Norm

The problems he is having with it is that it doesn't always want to turn on when he twists it and sometimes it takes a couple of tries before it turns on, it is getting some type of black gunk on the plastic where the light comes out which is dimming the light a lot and the first bulb blew within the first month of owning it. He has only had it for a couple of months and isn't happy with it at all.

What I want to get him is something that is reliable, is the same size or smaller then the maglite in length and preferably has a button to turn it on rather than twisting it.

Thanks in advance

Ps I don't want to get him another maglite.

Last edited by a moderator:

meti

Newly Enlightened
Armytek Tiara A1, AA, small, angled with clip and headband, so he can use it on the belt or on the head. Side button operation, really rugged, waterproof up to 10 m

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure your budget for this gift. But for $120 plus batteries & charger (Say $35ish), the Fenix LD50 would be the ultimate insanely sweet rig. He could light up his whole rig! You will need batteries & charger though. It will run on two, 18650's or four regular CR123's. Look at the Nitecore I2 charger. He can use a 12 volt cig adapter to run the charger & charge in truck. But, most rigs have a 110 volt outlet now anyways.

Armytek is nice suggestion too.

If you sprung for the Fenix, he would have a light that could serve many other uses. Especially on the road traveling.

Good luck.

Jas29

Newly Enlightened
Will the fenix light be to wide to have it clipped onto ur belt for 8 hours? And how durable is this light.

Jas29

Newly Enlightened
Not sure your budget for this gift. But for $120 plus batteries & charger (Say $35ish), the Fenix LD50 would be the ultimate insanely sweet rig. He could light up his whole rig! You will need batteries & charger though. It will run on two, 18650's or four regular CR123's. Look at the Nitecore I2 charger. He can use a 12 volt cig adapter to run the charger & charge in truck. But, most rigs have a 110 volt outlet now anyways.

Armytek is nice suggestion too.

If you sprung for the Fenix, he would have a light that could serve many other uses. Especially on the road traveling.

Good luck.

Would this flashlight be too wide to keep on your belt all day? It seems to be wider than a regular flashlight also how durable is this light if it falls from 4-5 feet will u need to buy a new one.

Also which battery choice will give it the most amount of power and the longest run time

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good questions. I would have to say for me, it isn't too wide. But others opinions may vary. I am guessing being that it is a useful tool, he could make a slight comfort over practicality compromise. As for a drop. I would imagine it would survive a 4 foot fall with ease. Fenix lights are pretty darn solid. I would say much more than most store bought & far far more than what he currently has!

For good batteries, don't buy any off eBay, and don't buy any with the words "fire" in the name. I like the Fenix brand my self. They are expensive, but high quality and easy to find & buy. Likely from the same seller you buy the light from. It is probably easier just to get it from one place, vs wading the sea of batteries.

Look into this battery. Fenix ARB-L2S 3400mAh 18650. I have 8 of the ARB-L2 batteries. They are lower capacity, but less expensive. They work well too and cost a few bucks less.

Hope that helps. Others may chime in too.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any of the Streamlight ProTac series would be good. The 2 AA version would probably be the one he would be most comfortable with, along with a set of 4 Eneloops and a good charger like the Intellicharger I2 or the VP2 could be kept right in the truck to always have a set of cells ready to use. Otherwise, if he wants more power and options, the Nitecore EA4 family would be great. Some places are clearing out their EA4s for $40, and the EA41 can be found anywhere for around $70. The EA4s are 4AA, so two sets of four Eneloops and a 4 cell charger would work great.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LD50 is a LOT larger than a Mini Maglite, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend 18650-based lights to someone otherwise unfamiliar with the hobby. The Olight S10R might suit him, though. It comes with a charging base so you can charge it without removing the battery, but can also run on a standard CR123 in a pinch. Has a side switch, and very easy to use, with a simple interface.

Kman47

Newly Enlightened
What is it about the 18650 based lights that you wouldn't recommentd to a newby to the hobby. I'm a novice at this and would like to know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jas29

Newly Enlightened
+1 to the question above.

what makes a Eneloop battery better than a regular AA Duracell battery

Also I should add he drives locally, but works night shift which is why he needs the light so it can be recharged at home every night.

Thanks for all the suggestions I will look into them all. Keep them coming thanks

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is it about the 18650 based lights that you wouldn't recommentd to a newby to the hobby. I'm a novice at this and would like to know.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend ANY lithium-ion cell to a newbie, unless I know for sure that they will follow the basic precautions. If abused, li-ion cells can go bad pretty quickly, and sometimes in spectacular ways. For example, checking the voltage when a cell is done charging to make sure it isn't being overcharged. And making sure to charge before the protection circuit trips...

I don't mean to sound paranoid, because I am quite comfortable with li-ion, and don't in any way think they are generally unsafe. But it is a fact that permanent injury and property damage can result if they are mistreated...whereas something that runs on Eneloops (for example) is more tolerant of careless use.

If you know he will take care of it, and are willing to have a discussion, by all means. 18650 is popular for a reason...it gives you better performance and runtime for the size than any other cell type. But quality 18650-based lights are generally pretty expensive, and they do demand a higher level of care and knowledge.

There is also the fact that he doesn't need the performance of an 18650-based light just to inspect his truck. A few hundred lumens is MORE than adequate. I don't know how technically savvy your father is, but usually for gift lights, the simpler the better.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
what makes a Eneloop battery better than a regular AA Duracell battery

Eneloops are known for longevity. They are the quality standard for all NiMH batteries, everything else is compared to Eneloops, and most often comes up short. They are consistent, can deliver much higher current than alkalines, and they won't leak like alkalines either. Plenty of people have lost lights due to alkalines leaking inside, and corroding the interior of the light.

I have nothing against alkalines, really, they can do OK in low-drain applications. Remote controls being a classic example. But flashlights are very high current by comparison, and alkalines were never designed for that type of use.

There are "duraloops" out there. Just re-branded Eneloops that are sold under the Duracell name. Something like that would work well also.

Jas29

Newly Enlightened
I think I have narrowed it down to the s15r or s20r. Which one would you guys pick out of those 2.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I have narrowed it down to the s15r or s20r. Which one would you guys pick out of those 2.

The S15R doesn't come with a charging base, and runtime will be much shorter. I'd definitely go with the S20R, myself, unless the additional size is a real problem for you.

Doomsday

Newly Enlightened
All the "R" come with a charging base. S10R, S15R, S20R and S30R.
If it doesn't have a R in the name it's the standard version without the charging dock.

I would pick the S20R over S15R.
A lot more light and runtime. The S20R is tiny for a 18650 light.

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the "R" come with a charging base. S10R, S15R, S20R and S30R.
If it doesn't have a R in the name it's the standard version without the charging dock.

I thought it was weird too...but one page I was looking at didn't list the base as standard with the S15R. You are correct, though, after further checking, all versions do come with the dock as standard. Sorry for the confusion.

Would still go with the S20R, though.

Last edited:

Jas29

Newly Enlightened
Do you know if you can take the clip off and get a pouch for it. I cant find anything on their website

Doomsday

Newly Enlightened
Yeah the clip comes off easily. I don't use holsters so I'm not sure which holster would fit it. Sorry mate

Doomsday

Newly Enlightened
Just tried my s20 in my Nitecore EC21 holster. Fits pretty good. Guess you just have to find a holster from another company with similar dimensions. Won't be hard. The diameter of the s20r is pretty common