Hi/low ring question

coldshot

Newly Enlightened
I've ordered a MD1 body from Martin White. My question is will the hi/low ring work with a M31 dropin? I was planning on powering it with a 123 primary.

I guess another option would be to use a MD2 head with a hi/low ring and M61W that is currently on my MD2. I'd have to run it with a 18350.

Thoughts?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've ordered a MD1 body from Martin White. My question is will the hi/low ring work with a M31 dropin? I was planning on powering it with a 123 primary.

I guess another option would be to use a MD2 head with a hi/low ring and M61W that is currently on my MD2. I'd have to run it with a 18350.

Thoughts?
The Hi/Lo ring is external to the drop-in. It will perform its function on any drop-in that you put in there with it.

coldshot

Newly Enlightened
The Hi/Lo ring is external to the drop-in. It will perform its function on any drop-in that you put in there with it.

Thanks for the reply. I understand the physical configuration as I have one. I guess a better way of asking my question is will the ring in the low mode push the M31 out of the operating voltage parameters? I can't remember if the M31 runs direct drive once it's below the voltage floor or does it shut off?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. I understand the physical configuration as I have one. I guess a better way of asking my question is will the ring in the low mode push the M31 out of the operating voltage parameters? I can't remember if the M31 runs direct drive once it's below the voltage floor or does it shut off?

No. The M31 functions down to something like 0.8v. It drops out of regulation at around 1.8v.
The Hi/Lo ring will even function with the M361 three-mode drop-ins, and gives 6 different mode selections.

bbrins

Newly Enlightened
The high/low ring will function, but will not always light up in low mode, I usually have to start mine in high first then drop it to low, I get this with either one CR123 or two AA's. I know some people like really low lows, but for my purposes the low is just too low with the M31. I wonder if the resistor could be swapped out to bump the low mode up a bit?

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
The high/low ring will function, but will not always light up in low mode, I usually have to start mine in high first then drop it to low, I get this with either one CR123 or two AA's. I know some people like really low lows, but for my purposes the low is just too low with the M31. I wonder if the resistor could be swapped out to bump the low mode up a bit?

Somebody successfully modded the resistor in the past to get a higher low output.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
In previous testing, I found my M31 219B to reliably start in low from two primary AAs, but not from two Eneloops.

I just moved it to an MD2, and it works perfectly from a single CR123 (with resting voltage of 3.1).

Other M31 variants, naturally, may not act the same.