Streamlight Stylus pro alternative

Beranimus

Newly Enlightened
Hi I'm new here but looking for advise. I have been using a streamlight stylus pro for about 3 years but I guess I'm a bit to rough on them as I've broken about 8 of them. So I'm looking to try an alternative with similar specs.

I'm looking for a light that's similar in size. It's carried in my beast pocket so it can't be big. I would like 50+ lumens but more would be better with at least 5.5 hours battery life. Oh and a warranty would be nice.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
How have you been breaking them? Streamlight has a great warranty, so unless you have been abusing them, they should have replaced any broken ones.
A good replacement would be the Streamlight ProTac EMS. It is a single AA cell light, with three modes, 3.7/10/50. It always starts in low, which is good if you are using it to check things close by. It is very well built, and easy to use. I EDCed mine for about three years before #1 son decided it should be his light instead of mine. You should be able to find it most places for under $40 USD.
Another good light would be the Surefire G2 LED. Nice nylon polymer body with a good grip, plenty bright, great Surefire warranty, and aroung $60 USD. I don't know how many of us flashaholics got started with a G2, but I would guess a good portion have owned one sometime in their life.
Happy Hunting, and welcome to CPF.

Beranimus

Newly Enlightened
I'm definitely not purposefully abusing them. I'm a mechanic and I use my stylus pro many hours every day. They are great for the most part and I have replaced them under warranty for free. I can't have this one replaced for about 2 weeks so I'm kind of looking for a spare in the mean time and in case it happens again.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are just looking for a fill in, go to Battery Junction and look at the TerraLux Lightstar 80. Eighty die lumens, it looks like about 65 or so out the front, higher CRI for better color rendition, 2 AAA cell, about 5 hr run time, and a rubber bite ring on the end for when you need both hands. Available in a lot of colors for about $20, BJ has a Buy Two for $25 as long as they are silver or black, or $10 for silver only. I have four, and really like them. I use my around the house one a lot.
I didn't recommend them before because I thought you were looking for a permanent replacement. As a temp fill in these would be ideal without breaking the bank, and who knows, you might get to like them better than the Pro.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I broke two without abusing them at all-the threads that hold the cap on are too shallow for the pressure on the switch. I use a FourSevens Preon two and have never had one fail...

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Beranimus

Newly Enlightened
If you are just looking for a fill in, go to Battery Junction and look at the TerraLux Lightstar 80. Eighty die lumens, it looks like about 65 or so out the front, higher CRI for better color rendition, 2 AAA cell, about 5 hr run time, and a rubber bite ring on the end for when you need both hands. Available in a lot of colors for about $20, BJ has a Buy Two for $25 as long as they are silver or black, or $10 for silver only. I have four, and really like them. I use my around the house one a lot.
I didn't recommend them before because I thought you were looking for a permanent replacement. As a temp fill in these would be ideal without breaking the bank, and who knows, you might get to like them better than the Pro.

Just ordered the 2 for 1 deal for BJ. The KS for the advise. Hopefully they work great

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Consider the 2AAA Pelican 1920. It is brighter and more rugged than the Stylus Pro and the latest 1920 has 2 brightness levels.

penlights7.jpg

FlyboyCMH

Newly Enlightened
I'll second the recommendation of parnass. I love my Stylus Pro, but if it's not durable enough for your use, the Pelican 1920 and Protac are excellent.

Mag liter

Newly Enlightened
I would consider a sunlite slim or slim jr, a good friend of mine had his for 2 years and it was pretty durable until 2 energizer alkalines puked in there.

radley

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering if you have considered changing battery type. CR123? This would open your options, it could also reduce the size of flashlight and on a medium bead should give you good lumens with suitable run time on the right models.

Illum

Flashaholic
Consider the 2AAA Pelican 1920. It is brighter and more rugged than the Stylus Pro and the latest 1920 has 2 brightness levels.

penlights7.jpg

Which Inova is that on the left?
Wasn't aware they came that size. I own several stylus pros. They make good loaner lights. Only killed one so far

swtws6

Newly Enlightened
Also a mechanic here, i second the Pelican 1920, also the sunlite slim/slim jr mentioned but not pictured (cant remember which one i have its the 2 aaa version) these two lights are my main go to lights i use everyday all day in my pocket ans have been very reliable. I also have the 2 aaa mini maglite led version pictured above which is pretty nice but the twisty head/lack of tailcap switch is really annoying.