Changing a driver for reduced power / more modes

NeilP

Enlightened
On my few days here I have seen lots of threads on modding power levels upwards, but not so much about going down.

I am looking for a zoomable single or dual cell lamp with both full power to 20-30 meter spot and moonlight with a wide beam. In other discussions regarding this no one has come up with one so modding my own looks like the way to go

There does not seem to be many quality flash lamps like Armytek or Zebra etc, that run off 18650's that are also zoomable AND have varying power levels, but I have seen many Zoomable on a store in China, MYLED.com.

Now there are plenty of lamps there that seem suitable but there modes are far more limited, just basic L/M/H.

myled.com sells these lamps that seem suitable for my needs but only have basic modes.
Anyone that knows these give me an idea if these are the sort of lamps that can be modded, with different control boards

Thanks

LED Flashlight Cree XM-L T6 800Lm 3-Mode Natural White Zooming-Black(1x18650/3xAA)

LED Flashlight Cree XP-G R5 180Lm 3-Mode Natural White Rechargeable Zooming-Brown+Golden(1x18650/3xAAA) EU Plug

LED Flashlight Cree XP-E R2 200Lm 3-Mode Natural White Rechargeable Zooming-Black(1x18650/3xAAA) EU Plug

also seen these on online auction sites
UltraFire 2200Lm CREE XM-L T6 LED Zoomable Zoom Flashlight Torch + 18650 batter
Trustfire Z1 ZML-T6 "1600 LUMEN" Zoomable (akaZ5)

Last edited:

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look for 7135 drivers, they usually come in 4s (1.5A) or 8s (3A)
They are 17mm wide & you can reduce or increase the amperage by removing or adding the 7135 chips.
And they usually come in multi mode; the driver has 3 or 4 stars that when soldered accordingly will give different modes.

NeilP

Enlightened
Thanks I'll do that, When you say add or remove the chips, can they just be stacked, physically or are you saying that the driver boards will possibly have spare pads so you can add more chips?

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both. They can be stacked vertically, and there are some boards around that have empty spots for more chips.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far, i have not seen empty slots to mount more chips, so i have been stacking them vertically or "piggy back" them, as some people here describe it. Haha..

NeilP

Enlightened
But that is probably not actually relevant in my case..as I was hoping at trying got make a lower power level rather than a higher one...assuming of course the lamps are too bright in the lowest mode.

But I am guess in that changing chips will reduce ALL modes...which is not so much what I want. I want to be able to still achieve max brightness of the lamp..or over drive it if it is a bit gutless on high power, but still have a low moonlight mode.

But we have sort of gone off at a tangent talking about this.

I don't actually have any of the lights I listed above yet. The initial post was really to find out if any one had experience with the lamps as listed. in the first post.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look for Qlite drivers, available at International Outdoor; they have a choice for 4 modes.
Moonlight - Low - Med - High
Perhaps this will suit you better.

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are a reliable place to buy things. So far, i haven got any issues with them.
Plus they carry all sorts of Noticon copper mcpcb & LEDs as well.