Turn Signal LED Help

crassus

Newly Enlightened
My friend just flew in from Japan. He brought me two pairs of the Philips Amber T20 LEDs. I put it in my Honda Accords and both cars experienced hyper flashing. Is there any way to fix this? Thanks in advance.

The packages actually said "Designed for domestic (Japanese) cars" My experience with Philips has always been good.

onetrickpony

Enlightened
If you can prove they're legal I'll answer your question. Otherwise, I have a feeling this thread will be closed like so many others.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
It sounds like you didn't install the error-cancellor resistors, Philips p/n 18957. See here, here, and here. Another option is to install whatever turn signal flasher (or toggle whatever body computer option, as applicable) is used for trailer-towing service.

onetrickpony, in most cases you'd be right, but the Philips Xtreme Vision LED bulbs are (the world's first and only) legitimate such LED bulb retrofits. Product info and PDF data sheet here.

Last edited:

crassus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Virgil, I didn't know that you can read Japanese. It is good to know.

About the resistors, do they consume additional energy? One of the reason to install LEDs is to save energy. In addition, since I am cutting into my factory wiring, would that void the factory warranty? Many thanks.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Thanks Virgil, I didn't know that you can read Japanese. It is good to know.

I didn't know I can read Japanese, either! (Google Translate to the rescue)

About the resistors, do they consume additional energy?

Probably.

One of the reason to install LEDs is to save energy.

This doesn't really make sense -- even with a car that gets extremely good mileage, the difference in power consumption between LED and incandescent turn signals is tiny, practically immeasurable.

since I am cutting into my factory wiring, would that void the factory warranty?

Probably! Or at least give a dealership a good reason to hassle you and refuse coverage. Maybe you're better off investigating the turn signal flasher or computer reflash to prep the turn signals for trailer towing.

SemiMan

Banned
They do consume energy. Need to trick the controller that the bulb is okay. Of course if your LEDs go and the resistor does not .....

reader2580

Newly Enlightened
I installed different electronic flashers on a 1995 bus to handle LED turn signals. (Yes, two flashers as it has some sort of weird redundancy for the flashers.) This probably won't help on a modern vehicle as everything is computerized and electronic now. My bus has no electronics for anything except the transmission and engine.