Head Flash Light with High Lumens

Farhaj

Newly Enlightened
I want to make a Head flash Light having High Lumens which I can Use in Night Time in Sea Water to catch Fish.

I already Use this DP-722b which Has around 70 Lumens,,, and has a 4 Volt Battery rechargeable in it.. ( Images Below)..

The Thing is When I strap it to my forehead (DP-722b) and Walk in Sea water; I can see clearly with it only in Shallow water.. wherever their the water level is high,, I am not able to see it clearer maybe because of the reason of low lumens,,,

So, I was thinking if I can Modify this headlight with a CREE LED Chip which has got the capability of producing more High Lumens of light in sea water with less Voltage Required I can modify this one and add that LED chip to it .. such as this LED of Cree which has capacity to produce 200 lm/w at 350 mA,, (
Link: http://www.cree.com/LED-Components-and-Modules/Products/XLamp/Discrete-Directional/XLamp-XPL

Can anyone Help me in this matter.. if and how to do it...

Images of the existing DP-722b..

SOURCE: AMAZON IMAGES BELOW:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DVGZgBKdL._SY450_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51z2eBYEWEL._SY450_.jpg

Image tags removed from hot linked images - Norm

An Outside Photo of the Box.

image.jpg

image.jpg

[/URL]
image.jpg

[/URL]
image.jpg

[/URL]
image.jpg

[/URL]
image.jpg

[/URL]
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's going to take a lot of work to modify - making a heatsink, getting a reflector that will fit, getting a driver in there... I would suggest that getting a headlamp that was designed from the ground up for fishing might be a better option.

Take a look at the Fenix HP40F

Farhaj

Newly Enlightened
But still which led you suggest and why would be their need for a reflector and a driver.. For what these are required and what are they exactly...
Also, is the CREE led feasible for this purpose..

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want any LED to be able to do more than just reflect light off the surface of the water, it's going to need a tight beam - which means you'll need a decent reflector. The body of your headlamp doesn't look like it will fit the deep reflector required. The type of LED is not really relevant if the body is not suitable.

deeuubee

Newly Enlightened
Farhaj - can you clarify a few things for me.
Do you want to light up a larger area above water, or do you want to spot fish underwater?
Are you standing in the water, or fishing from a boat?
How deep do you need the light to penetrate if underwater?
Do you need to see the fish within pole length from you, or are you looking to see where to cast to?

Farhaj

Newly Enlightened
@mvyrmnd.. Thank you for the little detail you mentioned about the reflector... I want to ask:

1) i still did not get about the reflector that what exactly it is.. Also, please let me know what the driver is..

2) the fenix light which you mentioned earleir has 450 lumens at turbo mode.. Is their any more with more capacity than that.. From the same company or any other..

3) their are many lights of fenix in that website.. Which one and how to choose it from it..

4) i reside in saudi arabia . How and from where can i get a one like that..

5) is it not possible to make a light similar to fenix or modify the existing one as I mentioned eariler..

Please answer all questions step by step..

Farhaj

Newly Enlightened
Farhaj - can you clarify a few things for me.
Do you want to light up a larger area above water, or do you want to spot fish underwater?
Are you standing in the water, or fishing from a boat?
How deep do you need the light to penetrate if underwater?
Do you need to see the fish within pole length from you, or are you looking to see where to cast to?

Thank you for taking interest in answering my questions.. And helping me with the flashlight

1) I want to spot fish underwater..
2) i am standing in water in the night..
3)mostly see the fish from the pole length.. But also to cast to if possible..
4) also, tell me if I can make a high lumens like close to 1000 lumens head flash light to see in water by modifying the existing one..

Farhaj

Newly Enlightened
If you want any LED to be able to do more than just reflect light off the surface of the water, it's going to need a tight beam - which means you'll need a decent reflector. The body of your headlamp doesn't look like it will fit the deep reflector required. The type of LED is not really relevant if the body is not suitable.

Can you please read my previous post to your answer and reply me with more information and hints..

Plus anyone else also with info and answers can help me out

kj2

Flashaholic
As you requested in PM: Have read the thread and have nothing to add. The easy way is checking out the suggested Fenix headlamp. If you do want to modify you can use a XM-L(2) led but you'll need a reflector to focus the beam and a heatsink to dissipate heat.

Farhaj

Newly Enlightened
As you requested in PM: Have read the thread and have nothing to add. The easy way is checking out the suggested Fenix headlamp. If you do want to modify you can use a XM-L(2) led but you'll need a reflector to focus the beam and a heatsink to dissipate heat.

what kind of reflector and what is it exactly.. can I not modify the existing one in the head lamp in the (DP LED 722b)

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mate, everyone is saying the same thing here. Your headlight will not be able to be modified to fit ANY reflector or ANY emitter to achieve your goal.

Farhaj

Newly Enlightened
Mate, everyone is saying the same thing here. Your headlight will not be able to be modified to fit ANY reflector or ANY emitter to achieve your goal.

can u please tell me what are reflectors and emitters.. please tell in detail.. i am not getting it,,

Jaegerbomb

Newly Enlightened
Please read about flashlights here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashlight

In particular read the section at the start, the section on "LED" and the section on Reflectors...
That will explain the terminology the guys here are using.

Reflectors help to focus the beam, and different reflectors give different beams.
For bigger lumen LEDs you need more heat dissipation, and reflector must fit around the LED you use... so the existing one you have will not fit...

As someone said above... better off to buy a headlamp suited to your needs... MOD'ing in this instance will end up costing you more because of the starting point.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buying a cheap flashlight and modding it is rarely less expensive than buying a good light to begin with, even if you know what you are doing.

Modding is something you do either because you enjoy it or because you want something that can't be bought at any price, or both.

To answer you question about 1000 lm on a head-mounted lamp, it's possible but probably not something you want to wear for a long time. It would be heavy, bulky, and hot. An LED generating 1000 lm also generates a fair bit of heat. You have to make that heat go away, which takes a large piece of aluminum with fins all over it (a heatsink) or a smaller heatsink with a fan.

Since you will be standing in water, you could use a very small heatsink and cool it with water. A very small pump could easily pump enough water to keep it cool, and you have a ready supply of cool water.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a lot I do not understand. I have always been careful not to shine my light anywhere near a dock where people are fishing. I thought that the light would spook the fish away. Even if you spot a big fish through the water with the light, it's not like that's gonna help hook it.

However, if you want the light to pierce through the water, you want a light with high Lux or cd (candelas), which we call throw. In order to have throw, you need a deep reflector. A deep reflector might not easily fit on a head lamp.

I would recommend a compact flashlight with throw that you can hold in your hand and use to spot an area with fish, then put the light away and begin fishing.

So a compact budget thrower maybe?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is a lot I do not understand. I have always been careful not to shine my light anywhere near a dock where people are fishing. I thought that the light would spook the fish away.

Which is exactly why the headlamp I suggested in my first reply has a blue emitter which will not scare away the fish.

Farhaj

Newly Enlightened
Buying a cheap flashlight and modding it is rarely less expensive than buying a good light to begin with, even if you know what you are doing.

Modding is something you do either because you enjoy it or because you want something that can't be bought at any price, or both.

To answer you question about 1000 lm on a head-mounted lamp, it's possible but probably not something you want to wear for a long time. It would be heavy, bulky, and hot. An LED generating 1000 lm also generates a fair bit of heat. You have to make that heat go away, which takes a large piece of aluminum with fins all over it (a heatsink) or a smaller heatsink with a fan.

Since you will be standing in water, you could use a very small heatsink and cool it with water. A very small pump could easily pump enough water to keep it cool, and you have a ready supply of cool water.

This reflector and pump which you mentioned; from where and what can i get from.. Can you help me with this..

Also how a small pump can work inside the flashlight..

Farhaj

Newly Enlightened
There is a lot I do not understand. I have always been careful not to shine my light anywhere near a dock where people are fishing. I thought that the light would spook the fish away. Even if you spot a big fish through the water with the light, it's not like that's gonna help hook it.

However, if you want the light to pierce through the water, you want a light with high Lux or cd (candelas), which we call throw. In order to have throw, you need a deep reflector. A deep reflector might not easily fit on a head lamp.

I would recommend a compact flashlight with throw that you can hold in your hand and use to spot an area with fish, then put the light away and begin fishing.

So a compact budget thrower maybe?

I do night fishing with hand net.. So their are some species of fish which are slept in the night and we catch them in night easily rather than in day..

Tell me this how come candelas are more imprtant than lumens to penetrate in water so that i can see inside..

Also, how a reflector can increase the candelas and from where can i get it..

Will a high lumens led won't easy out the work for me..

Farhaj

Newly Enlightened
Which is exactly why the headlamp I suggested in my first reply has a blue emitter which will not scare away the fish.

1) I liked the fenix light which you showed me.. But it is of 500 lumens and their is one more on their website which is 900 lumens .. So, which is better..

2) their are also two types in it.. HL and HP.. What are their main differneces or changes in between them..

3) they are much costly.. Are their any cheaper ones with the same features and quality but differnet cheaper brand..

4) also, tell me more about it..

Farhaj

Newly Enlightened
I guess these are the photos of the reflector which I want to modify with..

Is it not ok if I change it with the Led I mentioned earlier and use this very below same reflector for the purpose and a small heat sink with the led..