Help with battery for a converted G2

ToneDeath

Newly Enlightened
I just converted my Surefire G2 Nitrolon to LED with a Malokoff M61WL module. I'd like to run a single cell protected battery in it. Voltage should not be an issue as the module can handle 9 volts, I'm more concerned with diameter of the battery. Does anyone have a suggestion for a battery? I've heard good things about the AW brand.

Thanks,

TD

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem is that the single cell protected batteries are a lot less than 9V. They are 3.7 nominal/4.2 max for the average Li-Ion battery. Malkoff does make 30/31 series droppins that are better suited to single cell usage. Now I believe from the past the drop-in will work for a while on a single cell, but I can't remember the details right now, and I can't put my hands on an M61WL right now, I may not even have that one. That said in the past some people liked this dropin with a single cell because it dimmed when the battery got lower since it was running in unregulated mode with the lower voltage.

An 16650 Battery would be a good one to try and see if it works for you, or see if you can find someone who has already tried that combination. Hopefully someone will be able to help you with this combination. There should be lots of information on the main LED forum about this I would think.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
If I recall correctly the Malkoff M61 is designed for either 2xCR123 or 1x18650. So, a Keeppower 16650 should work fine, since this works much like an 18650 but is smaller in diameter.

ToneDeath

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info, looks like this battery is a winner. Do we have a US distributor on these batteries and will the Xtar VP2 charge them?

TD

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Illumination Supply carries these cells. They can be charged on most chargers that can charge 18650. The only difference is that a full charge is to 4.35 volts. So, with a normal 4.2 volt charger, you will use the vast majority of the cell's capacity, but not all of it.

ToneDeath

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I got some ordered I'll see how they work out on the Xtar VP2 charger.