CMG Infinity Mod.....Lots of Pictures, updated!!

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Someone wanted to see pics of my CMG Infinity CR2 MM+ Kroll Mod so I thought I'd just show it to everyone.
I managed to do all the boring with my Dremel, Dremel Drill Press Stand, and alot of patience. I don't have a lathe but hope & wish everyday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif The only other things used were a 5/8-28 tap, some heatshrink, the PR bulb positive contact spring from a MagC and some Master Formula Metal & Sealer gloss.
Man, thy don't call it Hard Anodized for nothing!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif I was using 200grit and barely getting anywhere, so I just said screw it and busted out the Dremel again. Teach that Hard Ano to mess with me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif At first I wanted to shorten it but the length now with the kroll is perfect, just 2mm longer than my ArcLS-TSP123. And leave the option open for a 2xCR2 5W mod maybe. The LD makes for a nice around the house, up close flood light. I'd perfer a HD but I did'nt have one readily available as a sandwich and after trying a HD still giving a flood type beam I didn't feel like swaping one in. But I'm happy and like how it came out....you??

infinity_front.jpg

infinity_side.jpg

infinity_exploded.jpg
infinity_cr2.jpg

infinity_stand.jpg
infinity_kroll-threads.jpg

infinity_batt-tube.jpg
infinity_mm-adj_.5ft.jpg

thx for looking!

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: CMG Infinity Mod.....Lots of Pictures!!

Now that is slick! It looks like one of those late 19th Century Nitro Express rounds for an elephant gun!

Good job!
BC

Reptilezs

Enlightened

try macro mode for up close shots. it alows the camera to focus at a closer range

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

[ QUOTE ]
wasabe64 said:
WoW!

Were you able to get the original board/diode out without drilling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I got the stock board out without drilling. I still have it, in one piece, and still functional. I just used heat to soften up all that black epoxy-like material.

BLU3_SHOCK

Newly Enlightened

this is a very nice mod did you have to modify any thing to get the switch to fit. ps if you dont want the extras of this projects then i will take them
especlly the stock led and circut

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

[ QUOTE ]
BLU3_SHOCK said:
this is a very nice mod did you have to modify any thing to get the switch to fit. ps if you dont want the extras of this projects then i will take them
especlly the stock led and circut

[/ QUOTE ]

thx, yes, the kroll's rubber boot is smaller in diameter than the CMG. On a MagAA it's pefect but a MagAA is skinnier than a CMG Infinity.

I had a kroll boot that got stretched out length and width wise. I'm guessing just by wear of use. Since it was also streched out length wise (most importantly), I was able to push the boot further onto the switch than normal. Where the inside lip of the boot normaly sat in the groove just above the threads on the switch, is now past the groove and rests on the threads. This gave it that extra thickness which mated up to the Infinity body perfectly. And of course I also had to bore out the section (seen in 6th pic) just above the threads for the lip of the boot that does the sealing. I did it carefully freehand with a dremel along with all the rest of the boring.

Sorry, If I had the stock LED & circuit laying around I would've passed it along to you but it's going into another mod.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
darkzero said:
[ QUOTE ]
wasabe64 said:
WoW!

Were you able to get the original board/diode out without drilling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I got the stock board out without drilling. I still have it, in one piece, and still functional. I just used heat to soften up all that black epoxy-like material.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you bake it in the oven, then push it out by pressing on the LED? I'm hoping I can do that with an Arc AA.

Darell

Flashaholic

What a clean little mod! I'm quite impressed. I might be a little hesitant to leave it in my night-stand drawer, if you know what I mean.... but nicely done indeed!

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Lux Luthor, I used my Weller P2KC butane iron w/ the hot blower tip to heat the head. It was a lot easier than I thought as I was scared of messing up the stock circuit/LED (wanted to save it for something else). I didn't have to apply too much heat and yes pressed on the LED to pop it out.

Darell, thx, appreciate it. I showed my friends and some of my workers before the mod and after. Most didn't really pay too much attention and some love flashlights but aren't really addicts like us here. Maybe they didn't like small flood lights or just sick of seeing every new light I get. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
Ever since I got a very small nick on the head I'm too afraid to take it out for a walk anymore.

evanlocc

Enlightened

I have just got my CMG-Ultra after X`mas .... i don think the original LED give enought light for a night walk.

I might want to have the sandwish change someday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thank you very much darkzero for sharing on removing the sandwish.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast

darkzero,

Thanks for the info. Very nice mod, by the way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Mike, updated the pics for ya as promised.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW, nice mod

um, what circuit did you use to run the lux?

vacuum3d

Enlightened

Dark0, that is one beautiful mod. I've seen a few of your mods. I'm impressed with your workmanship. Is that a Micro Converter board from the SandwichShoppe? I'm gonna try this mod myself one of these days. I just finished a Solitaire mod using the Dorcy AAA driver. Wasn't too impressed with my workmanship nor with the amount of light produced by that 1AAA. I'm definitely gonna try this Infinity Mod some day.
Thx,
ernest

ps. How's the progress of those Sputtered Reflectors?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dark,

That is truly a nice piece of work. Clean, smart and clever. I love it! My CMG is still lame and still stock /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Wilkey

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Thanks guys. It may not seem like it but that's a MM/adj. sandwich in there. It think it's a P bin?? I never swapped out the luxeon on it cause it's actually the first luxeon and sandwich I ever owned, given to me by my brother nqwan v2.0 for Xmas 02'(IIRC). That's the little bugger that started my addiction.

I bored the head out with a Dremel and had to make a spacer to make the negative contact. The walls get pretty thin where the o-ring is. I know cause I can now see it a little from the inside. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif
I can't wait to get a lathe.

vacuum, as a matter of fact the first batch of MagC/D reflectors shipped out today. Now I finally got a little break before starting the next batch. While I'm waiting for the next batch of reflectors to arrive, I'll start on the MagAA reflectors again. I believe you were on the list for those too. Sorry 'bout the wait but it's hard work when your doing them in bulk. Well not very hard, just very time consuming.