Motor Pulley ratio

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am hoping you guys can help me out.
I need to increase the RPM on a blower fan that is belt driven by an electric motor.
I want to change the pulley to change the RPM ratio.
The motor has a 2.8 inch pulley, and the blower fan has a larger diameter pulley ( I can't measure it).
I want to change the pulley on the motor, so do I need to go with a larger pulley to increase the RPM on the blower fan?

Thanks In Advance.

Last edited:

CMAG

Enlightened
Yes larger motor pulley will increase fan RPM. This will also increase load on motor and cause higher Amp draw, make sure motor is not overloaded (not drawing more Amps than rated for) Example. Duct work On hot air furnaces would have different back pressure, so I would adjust pulley to the motor specs using a Amp probe.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank You Norm & CMAG!!!! The information you guys gave me so quickly helps me out tremendously!!!!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would an increase of 155 RPM be noticeable on a 18 inch exhaust fan blowing out steam? I am trying to decide if it would be worthwhile to do.

Thanks Again, FlashKat
Yes larger motor pulley will increase fan RPM. This will also increase load on motor and cause higher Amp draw, make sure motor is not overloaded (not drawing more Amps than rated for) Example. Duct work On hot air furnaces would have different back pressure, so I would adjust pulley to the motor specs using a Amp probe.