Review Fenix PD22UE: first Fenix XP-L EDC, max. 510 lumens, 1 x CR123A / 16340

kj75

Enlightened
Review Fenix PD22UE: first Fenix XP-L EDC, max. 510 lumens, 1 x CR123A / 16340

Fenix has updated the successful PD22 with the newest XP-L led. This is also a long awaited light because it can run on a 16340 cell. For me, this is from now my EDC!

the ultimate edition of the PD22
30as868.jpg

20k7wy0.jpg

powered by the latest XP-L V5 led
2ibkm4k.jpg

Before we have a closer look, the specifications (given by Fenixlight):

Utilizes Cree XP-L V5 LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
4 brightness levels:
· Turbo
CR123A Battery: 400 Lumens (1 hour 15 min.)
16340 Battery: 510 Lumens (45 min.)
· High
CR123A Battery: 200 Lumens (2 hours 20 min.)
16340 Battery: 200 Lumens (1 hour 50 min.)
· Mid
CR123A Battery: 60 Lumens (10 hours)
16340 Battery: 60 Lumens (7 hours)
· Low
CR123A Battery: 6 Lumens (100 hours)
16340 Battery: 6 Lumens (50 hours)
· Strobe:
CR123A Battery: 400 Lumens
16340 Battery: 510 Lumens
· SOS:
* CR123A Battery: 200 Lumens
16340 Battery: 200 Lumens
· With a maximum beam distance of 426 feet (130 meters), you get a 242% performance boost from the regular PD22 version
· Intelligent drive circuit: automatically recognizes the battery loaded and selects the corresponding working mode of the battery
· Tactical tail switch with momentary on
· Intelligent memory circuit: Automatically enters the previously used brightness level when turned on
· Waterproof to IPX-8 rathing: 2 meters for 30 minutes
· Includes one AOD-S diffuser which allows the light to stand on any surface
· Digitally-regulated output: maintains constant brightness
· Low-voltage warning function to remind you to replace the battery
· Reverse polarity protection to protect from improper battery installation
· Over-heat protection to avoid high-temperature of the surface
· Anti-roll, slip-resistant body design
· Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
· Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
· Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
· 90mm/3.54in Length x 21.5mm/.84 inch Diameter
· 45-gram/1.59 ounches weight (excluding battery)

Unboxing:

The PD22UE is delivered in a nice, tiny carton. Carton's size shows you can expect a real compact light. I like the looks of the box, and it looks like Fenix has banned their blisters… I'm very happy with that…

the box
157zy1g.jpg

on the box the (output)specs and runtime..with a typo on flashaholics :)
ftj0xc.jpg

and in the box: PD22UE, manual and warranty card, holster, lanyard, spare o-ring, CR123a and diffusor
29p54sh.jpg

Impressions:

Tiny Fenix-EDC, excellent built-quality and finishing. Anodizing well done. XP-L V5 led is well centered, engraving is ok. Fenix did a good job on the threads too: I had some Fenixlights before with "gritty" threads. These are well made. Fenix has also added a better, improved clip. No negatives on this! The diffusor fits on a bunch of other lights of my collection too, very handy! :)

excellent built-quality
2nkml38.jpg

and finishing
359gzux.jpg

well centered led
sgu836.jpg

tiny, but 500+ lumens!
ma9yex.jpg

2zeh6rt.jpg

unfortunately no tailstand…
egx0n6.jpg

can run on 16340 also..
2qi7py1.jpg

a look inside
dn2bdv.jpg

good job on the threads
2dhi6vl.jpg

a hard job to add the lanyard
20t04yf.jpg

comes with white diffusor, ideal for (map) reading
6r6hyv.jpg

and holster
4ghy11.jpg

User interface:

For me, PD22UE's UI is still one of my favorites. Tail clicky for on/off and momentary, side button for modes: Low > Mid > High > Turbo. Press and hold side button for strobe, long press again (out of strobe-mode) for SOS. Works all without problems, easy to handle with one hand.

Size comparison:

As said earlier, PD22UE is real compact, because it runs on a CR123A cell. It's a little thicker than LD09, but has a bit less length. A comparison between AAA/AA/CR123A Fenix lights.

1 x CR123A, Fenix E99Ti, Fenix LD09 and Fenix PD22UE
21yn1d.jpg

Fenix brothers compared: 1 x AAA, 1 x AA and 1 x CR123A/16340
2hfsawi.jpg

2 x xp-e2 and xp-l v5 led
2gumhl3.jpg

2mq6il0.jpg

Tint:

First thing I noticed PD22UE has a cool, bluish tint. When shining on a white wall, and compared with E99Ti you can clearly see that. Personally I'd prefer a more neutral tint.

PD22UE has a bluish tint
168h9ac.jpg

The beam:

PD22UE has a nice, big hotspot with enough spill, this is ideal for EDC-ing. We can name it a compact flooder. Compared to the LD09 (almost the same size) you can see clearly the difference. LD09 is more "throwy", but has much less output.

Beamshots:

Projected on a white wall, taken with a CR123A cell, only turbo-mode with CR123A and 16340.

camera settings: ISO100, F/2.7. 1/125 sec, WB daylight, 35mm
296hft5.jpg

z8s94.jpg

2u43err.jpg

2wc2pgm.jpg

35mqwwl.jpg

animation
14mqqts.jpg

Outdoor shots:

First, only the PD22UE's beam. The light has well-balanced modes and a nice profile. You can see clearly the higher output on turbo-mode when driven by a Li-ion cell. Please scroll down for a shootout with other lights…

camera settings: ISO100, F/2.7. 1/125 sec, WB daylight, 35mm
2hdd4ch.jpg

287gfh5.jpg

14spl5t.jpg

k0o5s6.jpg

6fciu0.jpg

Animated
9pmich.jpg

A shootout against the Fenix LD09, which has about the same size. It shows the difference between an AA- and a Li-ion cell…..

Fenix LD09 against Fenix PD22UE
2qsv71z.jpg

And a shootout against the Olight ST25 Baton, another light in the "500 lumen class" Note: I used a 14500 cell + spacer in the Olight to get the highest output. As you can see, Olight has (little) more output, but has twice the length..

Olight ST25 against Fenix PD22UE
5kf0jr.jpg

Conclusion:

From the moment I got this sample, I've carried it 24/7. It's a lightweight, solid EDC with a good interface. The big hotspot and floody beam will be suitable in most situations. Until now I didn't own many Fenix CR123A lights, except the Fenix E15, but with the possibility of adding a rechargeable cell times will change… The 16340 will also give the light more output on turbo. Only cons are the bluish tint and the lack of tailstand. I wish Fenix will come with a more neutral tint. But with the delivered diffusor you'll have steady standing and a more diffused low-mode (for low-mode lovers :)) Overall, a very nice EDC with a lot of output, 500+ lumens hidden in the palm of your hand is real impressive! So I can recommend this light for those who are looking for a new, strong Every-Day-Carry light!

:twothumbsThanks to knivesandtools and fenixlight for sending me this sample!:twothumbs

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
NICE!! Gonna have to pick this one up! I was wondering when Fenix would start changing over to the XP-L! Got 2 XP-L lights myself and love them. Good review!

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
A nice and complete review, thanks for sharing!

The only thing I don't like about my PD22UE is the low level which is still too high.

Trevilux

Enlightened
Thanks kj75. Its a great flashlight, i received mine some days ago, I love it.
But one question:
Fenix talk about cr123a and 16340 compatibility, but I read carefully the manual user and his web, and they say 16340 3.2V, but they do not recommend 16340 3.7V. I do not understand, the promotion of this flashlight is a little confused. They refer always 16340 (when they talk about 3.2V battery).

msim

Enlightened
Thanks kj75. Its a great flashlight, i received mine some days ago, I love it.
But one question:
Fenix talk about cr123a and 16340 compatibility, but I read carefully the manual user and his web, and they say 16340 3.2V, but they do not recommend 16340 3.7V. I do not understand, the promotion of this flashlight is a little confused. They refer always 16340 (when they talk about 3.2V battery).

3.7v Li-ion rechargeable batteries are fine. The manual only points out the overall potential for danger with poor quality or mistreated cells. Here's a photo I just took from my manual, the fine print explains the reason for the 'Cautious' message.

7AgqCqy.png

Last edited:

kj75

Enlightened
3.7v Li-ion rechargeable batteries are fine. The manual only points out the overall potential for danger with poor quality or mistreated cells. Here's a photo I just took from my manual, the fine print explains the reason for the 'Cautious' message.

7AgqCqy.png

At first, thanks for all kind words guys!

About the cell, I use a protected Xtar 16340 (600 mAh) and and Xtar charger that I put on max 0.5 A.
I read on a website 16340's that are 600 mAh+ can be dangerous..

So you must be careful with this, and that's why Fenix calls this cautious.

My Xtar works without problems.

lionken07

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the review. I wonder how durable the side switch is...?

hatman

Enlightened
Good review - thanks!

I have the 2014 PD 35 with the same or similar side switch. Seems quite durable.

I am getting pickier about tints and don't care much for the cool white on my PD 35. Wish Fenix offered it in neutral.

torchflux

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the helpful review with comparisons. I like this light as a general-purpose EDC but the bluish tint and non-tailstand are unattractive.

Jagged77

Newly Enlightened
Great review, thanks! I've had mine since last week and really impressed with it so far.

Mines certainly got a cool white tint, not sure I'd go as far saying it was blue though. The light will actually tail stand if you position the pocket clip in between the rear button cutouts. If you stand it up it'll the lean against the base of the pocket clip - all be it at an angle. Another thing I've found is that if you twist the threads to lock it out whilst the power is on, when you twist it back the power comes back on, effectively making it a twisty too.

smole

Newly Enlightened
Great review!

Which 16340 cells would you recommend for this flashlight?

kj75

Enlightened
Great review!

Which 16340 cells would you recommend for this flashlight?

I use an Xtar 600 mAh in combination with the Xtar XP4 charger. I put the charging current on 0.5 A, higher can be dangerous.
My dealer says a higher capacity than 600 mAh can be riskful.

Retief

Newly Enlightened
In a recent exchange with the President of Land Run Brands (who is the U.S. distributor for Fenix), where I specifically asked for a 16340 suggestion for the PD22, he replied that they tested several "high quality" batteries and found one that will run this flashlight at the stated output and run-times. That battery will be an eFest and is supposed to be appearing "on the web-site [I assume, Fenix-Store and Fenix-Outfitters] soon."