Need mounting board for 10 Epitex SMB680-680-1100-I leds

Inkidu

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I just came across these 10 leds still in the sealed foil. I forgot that I ever had them. I was hung up by not having the boards, and the company was not so interested in selling small orders. I bought them as a sample order. Here is a pdf file of the exact led board dimensions http://tech-led.com/data/SMB680-1100-I.pdf Does anyone have boards for these leds or a link to someone who might supply them? I might also be interested in a mounting service. I have mounted some very small leds but my eyes are not as sharp and I had access to magnifying viewers. I do like the challenge though of doing it myself.
Thanks for any help
Inkidu

Inkidu

Newly Enlightened
I still have (10) of these. Epitex SMB680-680-1100-I leds
I finally found a mbpcb that might work. Looking at the solder pattern of a XHP70 (page 28) (6v board) and the solder pattern on page 1 I think it might work???
4 years now and maybe I will get moving on this project.
Any tips on reflowing an old led?
The pdf mentions reflowing as soon as possible after opening.
Is this because of corrision to the leads, which would lead to a bad solder connections?
Anyone know if there is certain precautions that need to be made with these type of far red led (AlGaAs) after they are mounted?
Any help would be appreciated.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually the reason to solder soon after opening is because of moisture absorption. If the part absorbs enough moisture, the soldering process can flash it to steam, which can damage the part. It's called 'popcorning'.

You do know that to get proper thermal bonding you need to reflow solder this, not solder with an iron?

Inkidu

Newly Enlightened
Usually the reason to solder soon after opening is because of moisture absorption. If the part absorbs enough moisture, the soldering process can flash it to steam, which can damage the part. It's called 'popcorning'.

You do know that to get proper thermal bonding you need to reflow solder this, not solder with an iron?

Thank for the relpy.
It wil be expensive popcorn @ $10 a "pop"
I ordered a XHP70 solder paste stencil to increase my chances for a good reflow.
It is not a great fit
A little crooked
This is on a 12v board. I will be using a 6v board, which I don't have yet. Will try to scrap some of the silk screen off in an attempt to make the led reflow better.
The rest of the pictures are more eye candy. Anyone have input on what I am looking at? Bond wire configuration, materials etc...

DSC_5020.jpg

DSC_5023.jpg

DSC_5029.jpg

Last edited: