LED Christmas lights - Series to Parallel

BobVal

Newly Enlightened
I use these mini led Christmas Lights (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EZJTVS/?tag=cpf0b6-20)

There are 96 LEDs set onto two wires. The LEDs are on the wire in Parallel.

This unit comes with a AC -> DC power pack that makes 3V at 1Amp

My wife really likes these and wants them all over the tree. The problem is that each power pack requires a plug and they are not like normal Christmas lights that plug into each other so for 25 strands I need 25 outlets on the tree (whew thank goodness they are LEDs and to not get hot)

OK so my questions are this:

1: How far can I extend the 3V wire (between and power pack and first set of LEDs) to try and move the plug in part farther down the tree? What size wire would I need? Currently seems like 28AWG might be 26AWG

2: Can I hook 4 of these 3V 1A strands in SERIES to a 12V 3A or 5A power supply? My thought is that in SERIES each of the 4 strands would pull 3V and then the those 3V would power parallel LEDs on each strand.
This way I could power 4 strands from one power supply

PLEASE do not beat me up to bad for my lack of knowledge on this.

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
Can I hook 4 of these 3V 1A strands in SERIES to a 12V 3A or 5A power supply?
If the LEDs take 1A, and several of them are wired in series, they will still take 1A. More than that could cause them to burn out.

Basic electronics: When 2 light bulbs are in series, they take twice the voltage. When they are in parallel, they take twice the current. The current (Ampere) is like the amount of electric current. The voltage is like the pressure/force of the electric current.

Generally you cannot run LEDs in a parallel circuit, not without some sort of resistor in series with each LED, because all the current would just go through one of the LEDs and burn it out.

When you are using a constant current driver, you can add more or less LEDs in series, and the supply voltage will automatically adjust to maintain a constant current through the circuit.