Flashlight + water bottle = lantern

D6859

Enlightened
Just wanted to share this. I found out that I can easily turn my Thrunite TN12 into a lantern. I just stick it into my water bottle. I never throught it could be so bright :)

thrunite_tn12_lantern.jpg

I will be using this trick next time we go out camping.

kst

Newly Enlightened
You have funny water bottles in Finland. :laughing:
FYI, the caps from 500 mL water bottles here in the US make great diffusers.... and much easier to walk around with.

rrt-0.jpg

dscn0387gw0.jpg
images

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
D6859, that is cool and I guess it diffuses the light much more than if it was empty. Great idea for a lantern.

asudavew, that idea is cheesey.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite implementation of this idea can be viewed here:

Link

I gave up on trying to get one made when I didn't hear from the creator for a protracted period of time.

NOTE: Noticed the pics in the openings posts are now gone. Too bad. They were really cool! :-(

D6859

Enlightened
asudavew: I think the carton (paper) in our milk cartons is too thick.

kst: I think there is no standard water bottles in Finland. The bottle I have is 0.7 l bottle meant for freezing juice etc. I find its shape practical to carry. The idea of using the bottle is that it spreads the light around the bottle. Also, the cap of the bottle is red and can be used as a diffuser. Unfortunately it doesn't fit the head of the light as well as yours does.

yoyoman: I haven't compared it without water. At least the water makes the bottle steadier. Also, you could mix some colour into the water.

LedAdd1ct: Unfortunately the pics aren't working. What I read quickly seems interesting though.

D6859

Enlightened
MidnightDistortions: I wonder if the gatorate bottle is too clean to diffuse the light. Maybe you could add soap into the water (as suggested in the thread LedAdd1ct linked) and then shake it to get better light distribution.

D6859

Enlightened
I tried to take two pictures to compare the light with both the bottle filled with water and empty.

lantern.png

Its hard to compare the light as my phone changes the exposure automatically. The main difference is obvious though: the empty bottle (on right) fell down before I got to take a picture. Otherwise it seems to work as well as the full bottle. I think I will use it empty when camping in a tent so I don't have to worry about getting my stuff wet.

Merry Christmas CPF!