Can't choose...

DiamondCut2_0

Newly Enlightened
Can\'t choose...

Ok, I'm stumped. I cannot choose what light to get. I've narrowed it down to a SF E2/E2e, BB400, and an Elektrolumens FT-3C. Reason I chose these three are price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif. I have pluses and minuses for each but still cannot decide.

SF E2
+: Bright for when I need it, small and easily pocketable, LOTC(have a G2 and am tired of it turning on in my pocket), Can be fitted with a KL4 later on, warranty
-: Incandescent(don't want it to blow, LA is expensive), uses expensive batteries.
BB400
+: Gives good light(white), long runtime, uses cheap batteries, uses LED, can change hosts but that would add to the cost
-: Don't like mini mags much, if it blows that's ~50.00 wasted
Elektrolumens FT-3C
+: Loooong runtime, bright, white, uses LED, easy to find batteries(cheap), warranty(I think), has less of a chance of blowing or breaking the LED if dropped
-: Bulky

I want a poketable light, so that rules out the FT-3C, BUT also one that I can use for self defense if need be. I don't mind not having a 60+ lumen light, I just want one that'll last me a while before I get a good one(like the L4 or LS4). That said, the L4 is the perfect light for me but /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif. The LSL isn't on the list because of the distracting blue tint, and I might be fast enough to get one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif.

The light I'm looking for has to be reasonably priced(-$60), bright(not a must but I'd like it to be; +15 lumens), uses cheap, easy to find batteries(also not a must since I have 12 SF123s and can buy more), and somewhat pocketable(not a must but wouldn't want people laughing at me 'cause I carry a big light around /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif). Thanks for any help, recommendations welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Re: Can\'t choose...

Take a look at this for your G2. It converts the switch to a Kroll clickly switch. I have had no problem with mine. My G2 also has a Pelican M6 reflector installed..gives a smother beam.

SockMan

Newly Enlightened

I would have recommeded an Arc LSL, but I see that you already ruled that out. However, I still think you should consider it since it sounds like what you're looking for. It is pocketable, can use cheap AA batteries, virtually indestructable, waterproof, and is overall a great light.

Personally, I don't find the beam on my Arc LSL to be distracting. Yes, it does have a bluish tint to it, but it is far from distracting. It is whiter than every other LED flashlight that I have which use 5mm nichias.

Other than my suggestion, I think that you a pretty good idea what you're looking for. Unless we know more about what your needs are, I really can't say which one is better.

Or, if you still can't decide, buy them all! Yeah, I know. It's probably not an option since you did mention that price is a major concern. But still... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

*shrug*
i just ordered the FT3C myself.. it's only like 7 inches long.. maybe not completely pocketable, but not bulky either.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

If your on a budget, I'd get a Scorpion. It would be pocketable, affordable and brighter than your E2!

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

If you want to use rechargeable batteries and if the light will see many hours of use I would recommend the BB/MM Sandwich. If you can get a high dome (R2H or Lux3) with a Fraen Low Profile optic I think you would be very impressed with the light. The brightest & whitest Sandwich I've seen is the Lux3 BB750 TVOK with NiMH. The BB400s are similar to the Surefire KL1 & ARC LSL-S in that they are low dome 1 watt Luxeons with NX-05 optics.
For the highest quality light you won't go wrong with the E2E. With the E2E you could add a KL1, KL4, E2C~P60 or P61.
For every day use the BB400 is plenty of light, but for defense I would want more. I EDC a ARC LSH-P & a Surefire A2, but the A2 doesn't get much use. The ARC LS takes care of almost all my light needs.
My first choice would be a ARC LS (even the LSL-S) because you could use the 1x123 or 2AA and it's "best" quality.
My next choice would be a Sandwich because I could use rechargeable batteries.
You might choose the E2E because it's the highest quality light on your list. I used to EDC the E2E, but it was replaced by the A2. If you need a task light get a 1 watt luxeon. If you think you need throw get the E2E. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

stockwiz

Enlightened

I love my arc LSL, but what I really can't wait for is the Arc LS modified with the 3 watt luxeon, fraen optic, and a boost in the current regulation that I ordered from a modder here for less the price then a normal ARC LSH-P with the fraen optic.

I also ordered one of those electrolumens lights, and am modding a purple 3d mag with a TWAK and hotlips heatsink direct drive.

Some of the mods out there give you more bang for your buck then the name brand lights. You could always go the mod route.. I find it a satisfying route to take.. just announce your interest in purchasing modded lights in the BST forum.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast

Having owned most of the lights you're considering, I'd recommend the SF E2 and a small LED light for backup. My personal EDC is an ARC LSH-P and an ARC AAA, but before I got the ARC LS, I EDC'd a SF E2e. Bulldog has the E2e winelight for only $56.25 (just ordered one) and it includes the longer running bulb, less lumens but longer runtime. In addition to that I'd suggest a CMG Sonic for a small LED light. I like the ARC AAA a little better, but if you're on a budget, the Sonic should be just as functional for $5-10 less (I like mine).

-Keith

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you want a pocket clip, get the E2e. If you don't, get the TT2L.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Get the E2e it is the most versatile of the bunch (KL4 head, KL1 head, E to C, lower power 25 lumen lamp). Your concern with the lamp is not an issue. I've never blown a lamp for an E2e or my E2. I bought ten E2e for Emergency Response Team members daily use. Five of them were purchased a year ago, five of them about 6 months ago, nobody has blown a lamp.

GregR

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
DiamondCut2_0 said:
SF E2
+: Bright for when I need it, small and easily pocketable, LOTC(have a G2 and am tired of it turning on in my pocket),

[/ QUOTE ]
BTW, I found a method to lockout my G2... ever tried turning (loosening) the bezel? Probably about 1.5 to 2 turns, IIRC. It works for me!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DiamondCut2_0

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
BTW, I found a method to lockout my G2... ever tried turning (loosening) the bezel? Probably about 1.5 to 2 turns, IIRC. It works for me!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, it works! An LOB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Cool, thanks, Stanley! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I decided I'd go with a BB400/Q3. I like the 2 hour runtime and it's ability to use alkaline, lithium, or rechargeable AAs. I can also switch hosts if i get tired of the Minimag. I'll just get an L4 later on in the year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Thanks for your help, guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

BTW, to make things a little different, I bought black and red Minimags and interchanged the pieces. Looks cool as apposed to just a plain solid color one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. Thanks again!