I have determind that the ultimate luman out put is around 100!!

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have given this a lot of thought before wading in and after thinking how I use my lights the ultimate lumen output to me is 200,possibly my age of 60 has something to do with it I am not sure.

As much as I require 200 lumens I really now appreciate the moon mode as well.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
all my edc lights have a high mode of around 100 lumens. never really needed more than that for general use, and usually use a much lower output for most tasks.

but my work lights need around 200 lumens, preferring a tight beam as well.

bright star

Newly Enlightened
Well my lowest lumen light is 400 lumens on turbo. I kind of prefer this type of lumen in the dark nowadays . must be getting older lol ...

archimedes

Flashaholic
I've found that <50 lumens works for >90% of my general day-to-day tasks.

I hope you all don't mind if I repost my technical chart of the evolution of flashlight output needs ... the so-called "archimedes peak" :)

VAybawQ.jpg

scout24

Flashaholic
Okay, after derailing the OP's thread and giving that number some thought, my $.02 says it depends on the quality and collimation of the lumens in question. :) I find an MN02 at 25 "Surefire Lumens" plenty to walk my dog with most of the time. Plenty of throw, and fantastic at-your-feet spill. 65 lumen P60 or 105 lumen P90 looks like a searchlight in comparison. By contrast, during the day at work, if using a Mule a bit more output (200?) is nice to get a well-lit, even coverage.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Interesting thread here.

Interesting responses, also.

lovecpf

For myself ( age 61 ),

90+ percent of my flashlight needs are covered
with my two-setting LED flashlight providing:

-- 1 to 3 Lumens

and

-- 25 Lumens

Really !

But, don't worry --
I realize that I'm certainly in the minority here on CPF !

:cool:

edited to add --
I sometimes do not wish to be
the Center of Attention . . . .
< wink >

_

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
0.3 and 3 are my sweet spots and ~45/45% of my usage, but I like having anything from 100-300 lumens from a momentary max from ON.

SparkLite

Newly Enlightened
The ultimate lumen output according to the majority of respondents on the forum is actually 0.3 Lumens...

My personal favourite output mode is zero, as it is the most efficient for runtime tests...